Posts by cheapfi

Yeah I know that going smaller will decrease the bass.   I'm not a bass head but I do like the bass guitar to sound like a bass guitar etc.  I do like the compact size of these swans.  Have you tried them out before?
I have recently embraced a love of background music in my bedroom.  I use it with a romantic playlist when I am enjoying time with my wife.  However the only speakers I had that I could move into the bedroom were my Fostex PM0.4N monitors.  They work and sound fantastic except for the fact that they take up my entire nightstand and look like something from a college dorm, which definitely detracts from the romantic atmosphere.  They are also being deeply underused in the...
I can solder, not particularly prettily when it comes to circuit boards, but serviceable. I had to repair the solder joints in my dash so I know the pointy end goes into the other man. :D   I had originally thought that the connectors I had seen required soldering and when I saw the term non solder my curiosity was struck.  I am just lazy enough not to want to go digging through the garage to find my soldering iron and the price was close for the locking RCA...
What if any disadvantages/advantages are there to using solderless RCA connectors?   I know the primary advantage is not having to get out the soldering iron.  I have one but I am definitely not an expert with it.     I was looking at some nakamichi connectors for a cable and wanted to ask some experts.
I have recently acquired a pair of Fostex PM0.4n near field monitors. I am very happy with these, however I am going to need to buy some cables to connect them to a source that uses RCA outputs.  I would like decent quality cables that will last, but I am on a tight budget.   Each of these speakers requires it's own audio cable and will be sitting about 6 feet apart from eachother.   I am looking for my best options for connectivity while keeping it cheap.  Each monitor...
With 80 ohm headphones,  I suspect a simple headphone amp might get rid of the flatness and help with most of your issues.  Honestly a headphone amp will help most headphones sound more alive. Plus most amps built into devices are designed for low impedance head phones. Fiio products are inexpensive and pretty nice to add more volume etc.   You also might try out another set or two of headphones.  I love my alessandro ms1's.   Grado's products are nice, monoprice has...
You are not imagining it.  I had the same issue.   The headphone amp section inside my ipod nano isn't that hot. The amplifier built into the laptop was a little better and more powerful.  The DAC was just as good as that in my laptop but the amp portion was pathetic.  This meant my ipod had a lack of bass, recessed vocals, and less definition in the treble in comparison to the laptop.   Now if you use a cheap fiio line out dock and even an Fiio E6 headphone amp, you...
I'm not going to write a full review of my Fostex PM0.4n's but as of right now I am really impressed.  I will probably be using them in the living room for a little while, but they are definitely near field monitors.  They sound amazing from the sweet spot, but still very good from other places.   The treble is clean and detailed.  The mids are clean and very detailed you can hear the vibrations in a singer's voice or guitar string clearly. Vocal's are right up front and...
I was quoting what someone else said.   I suspect they mean they weren't hearing the same level of clarity from the tweeter.  It is probably a pretty close thing.  I haven't heard them in person I am just reporting what others have said.   Personally if you have the money to spare it is worth it...  If you are like me and money is often tight, then you try to squeeze a nickel worth out of every penny.  If you look a little lower in this forum there is a thread with a...
Ah...  Too bad.   You might look at some of swan's offerings.  I've heard the AudioEngine is really well made and sounds pretty good, they are also really small.  It is just somewhat overpriced,  so not something that would interest me.  The AV40 supposedly has better bass response but is less detailed than the Audioengine A2.  They are both supposed to be really good speakers so it is a matter of personal taste and budget.   Also you could look into passive speakers...