or Connect

Posts by MrMateoHead

Your board is really nice. Your headphone amp is the TI OPA1652. It is rated 2 mA per channel, so at 1 V that is approximately 4 mWs total. That is actually quite a lot of power, but won't hold a candle to the O2 unless the chip is getting much better voltage (I couldn't find detailed info). Supposedly, the HD650s need about 0.13mWs to reach 90 dB, so your board could probably do it with a little headroom (but the dynamic range of the stuff you listen to will still...
Hi There - What is your PC Soundcard? If it is rated to 600 Ohms, is there a hardware or switch or software switch you need to toggle to switch it to"high impedance" mode? I might check that out first. Also, you can get the standalone O2 for about $130 - you don't need to spring for the O2/ODAC if you like your PC's soundcard. You can get an ODAC later if you want a slightly better DAC. For the money, I highly doubt you will find more than a handful of other amps that...
You only need high gain if your source is about 1V or less.
If by "mass market" you are assuming that companies with big bucks and commanding market share are somehow "winging it", I would say, I think not. They are doing something right, whether you agree with it or not (good design, good marketing, whatever). But you don't deliver products with mass appeal by not engineering mass appeal. Sorry. Audiophiles are in the minority, I would think. Maybe one day we'll tailor speakers to an individuals ear drums, but that day is not yet...
It's called Research and Development - with some emphasis on the "research" end this time around. This is so obviously not a simple product for a "target audience", but an attempt to develop a product based around a better baseline for average listener preferences, as determined via science using trained and untrained human listeners (with all their unique ears and brains). I know most people hate the idea of fitting within an average (we are raised to feel special?), but...
That is very high praise - but don't give them any ideas! For $200 I got a "like new" pair of PSB's and have just begun to review them. For the overall fit / finish / comfort I wouldn't be comfortable shelling out more money. While they DO fit and ARE comfortable they are snug, can't be jiggled around on my head so actually are a tad claustrophobic. Sennheiser remains the comfort king IMHO - light, comfy, and they "disappear" a little better than most. Also proven durable...
Not to get TOO off topic, but I was asking myself why the first track's bass line literally sounded like one or two woofers at the limit of excursion. It reminded me of my brother's first "system" - a badly, badly underpowered 15 inch sub crammed into the truck of his civic, powered with what little juice his 80 bazooka tube could spare. It sounded EXACTLY like dat crappy bass lol. It brings back some funny memories but honestly the trend of hearing engineers using "woofer...
That is very helpful tinyman - I edited out the part that I agree with (all of it basically), and focus on where you raised a good question which is - what were those test subjects listening too? I tend to agree that classical recordings have too much dynamic range (for example for in car listening), but most pop doesn't have enough (but this is better in car), or compression / loudness wars generally sound horrible and clip etc. Maybe they tested with high quality stuff...
It would be interesting if you could unpack this statement more. I am inclined to reflexively disagree - mainly because virtually every recording I listen to seems different from the last, and they certainly aren't all what I call "thin bass, bright treble" (Type-O Negative springs to mind for anyone that listens to them - pretty thin stuff but actually very engaging on good speakers). We can generalize a little about certain genres, but I just don't get how you can claim...
 I find your statements a bit out of line with the spirit of my post, there is no need to get hostile. Or, I wasn't "competing" with you for best opinion. I'll avoid quoting you in the future as I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings. I think you have many valuable things to say, and I enjoy hearing them. Cheers.