or Connect

Posts by MrMateoHead

The Popping sound could be clipping. They are far more sensitive and resolving than a typical headphone, so I wouldn't be surprised if the static / pops are actually clipping from the audio playback. Try playing any song off Metallica's "death magnetic", the most badly compressed, clipped out album ever. Can you hear static/pops in either channel? That is what clipping sounds like played back through a speaker (you can hear it at any volume). The HE-400s are about 50 Ohm...
Hi there - For starters, stop using the computer sound card. Try other sources (like your phone). Does the issue continue? Does connecting a different pair of headphones/speakers have the same problem? Also, check the cable connections. Are they secure? My L channel SMC connector tends to back itself out once in a while, leading to channel cut-out. I DON'T recommend tightening with a wrench, but maybe an ever so-slight extra twist if your connection gets loose. Try...
Ah that's right we've been here before.   The Sorbathane info itself on acoustics is pretty nil (since I don't understand most of the specs). Whether it is 30 duro or 70 duro, it has a transmission loss rated 'greater than' 40 dB/cm @ 50 hz. That doesn't tells us a whole lot - since the transmission loss could be higher / lower at other frequencies (but it is probably higher on a curve). Perhaps Fearless1 had to use more of the 40 duro because its higher frequency...
Do you have any idea what the trade off / coefficient would be switching from 40 duro to 70 duro, or whatever other duro? With the 40 duro, 1/8" I found that doing around 50% of the cups sounded best. I had some on the driver plastic waffle grill as well and took it off. Overtime, I though it was sounding a little "dead". I also stuck some on the bottom of my BluRay player, which is annoyingly loud and sitting on a bookcase with no real rubber feet of its own. That stuff...
 Nah no worries mate I'm not "arguing" with you, just disagreeing with you in a few areas. I don't want to over- or under-hype the issues to the uninitiated around here. For one thing most people that ever bought these and reviewed them hear said they were generally "underwhelmed" by the performance. It takes a solid couple weeks of listening for your brain to adjust to these, but once it does, man, dat bass! I am one of those people - I did not at first love these. But...
 The thing about the 400S is that it needs slightly more power than the 400's did to hit 90 dB, (34 mW vs. 33 mW). Of the amps you listed the E5 would probably have enough power (around 50-100 mWs or so on tap). The X3 would probably be better, with a claimed half-watt or quarter-watt at low impedance. The HifiMans are definitely in that class of headphones that I would say benefit from a dedicated amp. Without question it tightened up the sound and provided better bass....
A 'one trick pony'? Not when you know how to apply a little EQ, add a little sorb, and use a decent amp. What is its 'one trick' anyway? These things can sound amazing with Jazz, Rock, Hip Hop etc. Their bass performance is second to none, the midrange is great, and the treble "spike" is easily tamed + is not relevant 98% of the time. I have owned a lot of Senn's and frankly i don't think they compare except perhaps in the midrange - the treble is rolled off, as is the...
I am using the 40 Duro sorb, 1/8th inch I think. Is the 70 duro truly different / superior? I'm still not fully understanding how, why the stuff works so darn good. But then again I had my HE-400s sounding just about right - not sure its worth the trouble all over again, and the expense . . .
I figure the main reason my new AVR seems so much "better" is that a) it has about 50% more power than the old one (potentially twice as much power if I could actually measure it) b) my relatively inefficient speakers needed more headroom c) the new amp is objectively "cleaner" d) the DAC in the old AVR is 10 years old and probably doesn't come close to the same SNR of the new one. Not to mention, I can play back HD movies in all their uncompressed glory.   Then of...