or Connect

Posts by MrMateoHead

I figure the main reason my new AVR seems so much "better" is that a) it has about 50% more power than the old one (potentially twice as much power if I could actually measure it) b) my relatively inefficient speakers needed more headroom c) the new amp is objectively "cleaner" d) the DAC in the old AVR is 10 years old and probably doesn't come close to the same SNR of the new one. Not to mention, I can play back HD movies in all their uncompressed glory.   Then of...
 Basically, this. It took an O2, an ODAC, and some planar headphones to reveal to me one of the most important variables of all - the recording itself. Not to mention all THOSE electronics + the venue used in producing the recording for $X dollars or $XX dollars. That said, it'd be interesting to see if 2 different systems played with the same speakers could "fool" a microphone into believing that each record was played back more or less identically. Even with my...
I see!  Playing around is certainly a good way to learn. I find that my O2 at 2.5X is TOO MUCH for my more sensitive headphones (I can barely stand 9 O'Clock). My much less efficient HE-400s live around 9-1 O'Clock depending on song, mood, and so on. That said, I haven't yet had the nerve to chop the gain down to 1.0X / 2.5X, which would probably be a lot better for a wide range of very efficient / moderately efficient headphones. Anyway - in the future don't intentionally...
 OK that helps. Frankly, I think you are clipping the O2 by running 2.1V into it + High Gain. Any reason you feel the need to run your headphones that way? FYI 9 O'Clock is a tad low on the dial - running lower gain, you avoid clipping + can definitely get out of possible channel imbalance territory on the volume dial. In short use low gain!
 Hi there - Contiuum looked "clean" under audacity, even in Mp3, so that can't be the noise you were hearing. Unless the noise is a feature of the music (probably is!), it is coming from something else. Better to see if you can find other recordings that either definitely use static sources (like Hip Hop), or are definitely pristine (like some Jazz or classical recording) to compare results. Just because the file isn't clipped when I look at it (usually from excess...
Escalibur - WHAT is the source going in to the O2, and what gain settings does it have? (2.5X or 6.5X) or is it (1X and 3.3X)? Or is it (1X or 2.5X)? IF you are using a 2V source, you are not supposed to use more than a 3X gain. 6.5X is for sources with 1V or less. If you use a source with 2V or more and high gain in excess of 3X, you are most definitely clipping. That would be normal, for mismatching gain / input voltage. If it is not making bad noises at 2.5X, that is...
Thanks John - I'll find the order and PM.
 What baffles me is that the device has worked flawlessly on my computer until after I switched to Win 10, which has been buggy, no doubt (I re-installed Realtek audio and networking after the upgrade as both weren't working). I thought I had "fixed" the problem by deleting / reinstalling the USB driver and I went ahead and attacked some others as well. The problem subsided, and then returned. My laptop recently had a major update and I tried the ODAC on it - exact same...
The only way I can get a second ODAC is to buy a second ODAC, and that would be a last resort.   I heard the crackling on a laptop I have kicking around as well, but I will try my brothers to see if I get better luck.
Ya - The problem follows all the ports, 2.0 to 3.0. I've tried different USB cables as well. A recent update by Windows brought the version of the USB host to (Intel) 10.0.14393.0 I had tried the ODAC on a different computer with the same result. I has performed flawlessly until recently. Only the L Channel seems affected. Do these things ever fail or something? Mine is only about 2 years old.