Posts by MrMateoHead

Wow - Its great to see such a detailed and somewhat "critical" review of the O2. Thanks for the links. The "dramatic rise" in THD at higher output powers is basically true of any amp - they all have their "sweet spots", and they also sound like s*** when playing out of their performance envelope. That said I've never turned my volume knob much past noon using HE-400s, which are my least efficient headphones. I'm pretty sure I've never clipped a home or car amp either,...
Make sure you re-check your sorb at some point. The 3M "film" for some reason did not always come off properly, and a few pieces came loose. You can "pinch" the plastic layer off and re-stick it.
Oops - I had mis-remembered a spec. It doesn't have DSD support.
I have no real qualms with the O2 other than I probably needed to replace the batteries after about a year or two. The thing may have had one battery "go bad" in the sense that it seems to lose charge faster than I remember.   That and the ODAC has some problems, I went through a series of repairs and finally a replacement, and hear little static "pops" and "clips" once in awhile that let me know it too will probably die. JDS Labs was IMMENSELY helpful in this regard,...
I had sorbed the center plate of mine earlier, and frankly felt that it was overkill - I do think you can "overdamp" the HE-400s with too much of the stuff. Then again I was using 40 duro! But really pay attention to the sound. If there is little to no resonance at all, I am not sure I like that. Its too "dead".   I did apply some to my noisy and cheap Samsung  BluRay player's bottom though and it helped quite the rattling beast down (it rests on a lumpy wooden shelf)....
 The Popping sound could be clipping. They are far more sensitive and resolving than a typical headphone, so I wouldn't be surprised if the static / pops are actually clipping from the audio playback. Try playing any song off Metallica's "death magnetic", the most badly compressed, clipped out album ever. Can you hear static/pops in either channel? That is what clipping sounds like played back through a speaker (you can hear it at any volume). The HE-400s are about 50 Ohm...
Hi there - For starters, stop using the computer sound card. Try other sources (like your phone). Does the issue continue? Does connecting a different pair of headphones/speakers have the same problem? Also, check the cable connections. Are they secure? My L channel SMC connector tends to back itself out once in a while, leading to channel cut-out. I DON'T recommend tightening with a wrench, but maybe an ever so-slight extra twist if your connection gets loose. Try...
Ah that's right we've been here before.   The Sorbathane info itself on acoustics is pretty nil (since I don't understand most of the specs). Whether it is 30 duro or 70 duro, it has a transmission loss rated 'greater than' 40 dB/cm @ 50 hz. That doesn't tells us a whole lot - since the transmission loss could be higher / lower at other frequencies (but it is probably higher on a curve). Perhaps Fearless1 had to use more of the 40 duro because its higher frequency...
Do you have any idea what the trade off / coefficient would be switching from 40 duro to 70 duro, or whatever other duro? With the 40 duro, 1/8" I found that doing around 50% of the cups sounded best. I had some on the driver plastic waffle grill as well and took it off. Overtime, I though it was sounding a little "dead". I also stuck some on the bottom of my BluRay player, which is annoyingly loud and sitting on a bookcase with no real rubber feet of its own. That stuff...