Posts by MrMateoHead

I wouldn't trash the HE-400s - just the other day I was again enjoying the fact that they simply provide a slightly higher resolution and better speed than my speakers, even if they aren't quite as neutral in the midrange. I probably do value them a lot less today than I used to, if only because so many excellent headphones are showing up at lower prices (and seemingly with better designs). But even given that, there is a reason these were some of the top headphones in...
You can gently "stretch" the headband by bending it. That helps with the clamp. I can wear mine all day but the headband, sitting atop my pointy head, eventually starts to irritate. I do get some sound fatigue as well, but am usually good about taking breaks with them.
I second this . . . If the new "harmon curve" is more accurate in getting us a truly "neutral" headphone, than I would think the HE-400s would be considered pretty darn lean overall, in part because both midrange and high-end treble are a bit over-emphasized compared to, say, the NAD HP50 (which along with Focal are possibly the most neutral phones on the market currently?). But my subjective experience with the HE-400s has always been that they are fairly lean and neutral...
I use about 2.5 Q (width) on the 50 hz tweak. 0.37 for the treble tweak (or otherwise less than 0.5, but typically more than 0.25). I use Easy-Q with Foobar if that helps. But any parabolic EQ would be more or less the same adjustment.
Well, the rule of thumb I go by is cutting in 3 dB increments. When it seems that I have gone too far, I begin to adjust in 1-dB increments, until I think I have the right balance. Then it takes a lot of listening, and switching between albums for me to settle on an adjustment, since what sounds "right" on one album may be wrong on another. For example, cutting sibilance out of my car stereo required much larger cuts than I originally thought. The tweeters are on their...
Anyone that expects at Amp to run at 100% volume sustained for long periods into low impedance loads without frying itself is being a little unreasonable, IMHO. 108 dB is basically hearing damage - totally unnecessary.   I wouldn't be TOO worried that the O2 lacks enough thermal dissipation to provide maximum sustained power without damage.   I guess the common-sense solution would be to choose more efficient headphones that keep the O2 within a safer power range!
All I can do is suggest that you listen to them for more than a few minutes, and try some music that actually has a lot of bass texture. In other words, maybe some really good Jazz featuring some upright bass. Been awhile since I have listened to mine, but I was very impressed with the sound of Bill Bruford's Earthworks (Sounds of Surprise, Sounds of Happiness) CDs. I could actually hear "clapping" instead of white noise between tracks. They made my other phones seem...
I am interested in picking up a pair of these phones'.   Is there a consensus as to their build quality problems? I may rather wait for the next generation of models given that durability is really important to me. Only my sennheisers have proven to take a beating over time. I don't feel like paying $350 bucks only to snap the headband. I don't think my ears are very large either, but I've never actually measured them.
What do you like and hate about the Maggies? Just wondering - as I would be interested in getting them sometime for a 2.1 setup.
I am glad the sound transformed for you - Lol. Rock on!