Posts by MrMateoHead

^^^^^^ What he said -   The first thing is to spend $10 bucks for the velours.   Then, put on some damn good Jazz Music. The HE-400 will, I bet, blow away the Senns. It takes time to appreciate the speed and texture of the Planars - at least a couple weeks. Jazz is what revealed to me their bass texture and higher resolution, then electronic stuff with lots o' bass showed me how much the bass of the HE-400 is really in another league vs. dynamics.   Also,...
What are you listening to Dakanao? Can you be sure that you aren't merely being exposed to recordings that are, in fact, harsh? Wouldn't be abnormal . . .
But for $350 bucks, expected to live the harsh life "working" in a studio, that is sub par in my book, and the main reason I couldn't part with the cash! SQ is 90% of a purchase decision for me, but poor design / Build quality issues just should happen at that price point (I would know, My HE-400s aren't "perfect", but design / cabling issues have lessoned my love for them over time).
If you extended the cups out further, such that the headband was a good half inch or so over your head, would the seams come back together? From the look of it, your head is "too big" for the headband. But I agree - "normal" does not mean "good", and that looks like the wrong fit for the FSP and for you!
Indeed every time I switch back from the ODAC to my other sources, I get a sense of "relief" when the Sabre is back on. I think the term "etching" the sound is the most correct statement. The ODAC/Sabre manages to sound a little "brighter" or "harder" than my other DACs, with a sense that depth and detail has been improved. It feels "hi res". I would compare it to turning on what I call the "harshilizer" effect of many stereos I play with - you know, that feature that...
Does anyone have a guide to THD / S/N ratio?   In pondering the O2 versus other amps I've owned, I've started to question how much THD is tolerable or what S/N ratio is "ideal". I have a Class D car amp that sounds great, but has audible "hiss" at near-full volume with a silent source. Of course, that could relate to my deck, but lets just say I know that the amp is the main culprit.   My Yamaha Receiver still sounds great after all these years, but at "reference"...
Your headband looks awesome and well crafted!
Somehow I feel I would prefer the Focal's to the NADs (which are a tad more "colored"). How is the fit and finish on the NADs, and the comfort? I am hankering to try some "roomfeel" or "harmon curve" HPs. Curious as to the resolution / bass texture as compared to the HE-400s as well. I would assume that as dynamics, there will be some tradeoffs. But I have to say, the HE-400s have made a comeback recently and they sound better than ever to me.
I would say so. Dry, away from sunlight, rodents, and dust.
I've ripped mine violently off my desk and snagged cables a few times - Nothing broke.   Considering that many cheap dynamics in cars take bumps and survive crashes without failing I'd think they are a lot more durable than you might think. I have seen dust caps blow off or crinkle from high-SPL nights / dryed out glues and so on.   I would be a bit more concerned about storing them carefully if you were going to put them away from awhile. High humidity / basements...