or Connect

Posts by MrMateoHead

I've screwed with the Pads on mine for years - its now $10 velour all the way, period.   As for "Midrange distortion", I would be the first to suggest that we don't go TOO strongly by what the 100 dB THD plot says - I don't listen that loud, typically, as doing so damages hearing. BUT maybe I do when I am cranking up and the average level + peaks starts to hit well into the 90dB range. I think the point of those graphs is less about revealing how "clean" the headphone...
 Hi there - I am listening to the Cousin of the NAD HP 50s right now, the PSB M4U 1 and while I don't consider them "end game", they are definitely awesome headphones. I've not compared them directly to the HD600/650 but my guess is that they're as good if not better SQ wise considering they are also almost half the price. Very strong, extended bass, a smooth midrange, and really nicely rendered treble. My PSB's beat my Sennheiser HD595s all-around which sound very good on...
Indeed - I need to revise the theory as my prior post was written sloppily. So, 2 USB 3.0 ports, front, connected to the MB header. 4 USB 3.0 ports, rear.2 USB 2.0 ports, rear. So far, keeping the ODAC on its original USB 3.0 port, and connecting the "new" mouse to the adjacent USB 3.0 port, with a keyboard attached to the USB 2.0 port has seemed to be a solution to my problem, which is that the ODAC is producing a constant clipping / static that increases with volume....
As the static reminds me of clipping - either too much power, or too little, the investigation has continued. I have yet a new theory. The only device that has changed in recent months is my mouse - I retired a Logitech for a MS mouse. I have 2 USB 2.0 ports (keyboard and mouse), and 4 USB 3.0 ports (2 in the front of the machine, 2 in the rear). ALL ports demonstrate the noise with the keyboard/mouse no USB 2.0 ports, and with the ODAC on any of the 3.0 ports. I deleted...
Thanks for sharing. To be clear, I seem to hear a "tearing" static, or very low-level statickyness. It is similar to the sound of clipping, but as if it were occurring over much more than a millisecond or so. The big giveaway is when nothing is playing of course, and the "tearing" static can be heard as I turn the volume up much higher. I'll have to assume that it has something to do with the USB ports at this time. Technology . . . .
As an update, my ODAC is "behaving" recently. Disconnecting / Plugging it back in seems to have helped. Any slight disturbance may bring back the noise so I have simply left it alone for a day and cranked up the jams.   Still, I am curious to hear from others that may have had issues in the past. Could it be weak / cheap connector ports? Some issue with the USB interface? The ODAC ain't cheap but I don't know of a better DAC if this one gives up the ghost.
 Yes - I just connected it to my Laptop. After installing the ODAC automatically, it was at first noise free. Then, after playing some music for a few minutes, I stopped playback, and cranked volume on the amp. Seems the slightest jiggle of the ODAC brought back the "noise" I'm hearing. What does this indicate? I am on Windows 10 on both machines The ODAC has performed flawlessly on the problem computer for a year or two thus far, and I've never switched the port in use....
Hey all -   Having a problem with my ODAC for the first time. Crackling / Static, Hissing sounds - not good. At first I thought some noise may have gotten into my signal chain, but when I plugged in my realtek line - the noise was all gone.   Wiggling, trying new USB jacks, different cables didn't matter. Not sure what might be up. I could've sworn I heard the noise coming from a separate speaker / AV receiver, but that was probably just some Mp3 clipping.   Any...
In general I don't see how high output impedance is helpful / good - it kills power output and risks drastic change in response from speakers with impedance swings.   I'd expect Planars to generally behave better, but as DavidA said, I guess muddy bass and rolled highs. Maybe that translates to "musical" to some.
Add the Pleather pad mod (Jergpad) for those who want an improvement but also to save money.Velour pad swap counts as a mod to me I am 99% sure the open grill mod is completely useless - unless you like the look.Blu-Tak mod is interesting - does that stuff come off easily?