Posts by gibosi

That's very interesting! It appears that you are using a 6SN7 as a driver and the two 5687's as output/buffers. I have heard may good things about Single Power amps. It's unfortunate that the company was unable to survive.....
 No, running EF91/92 tubes in the EF95 setting should not cause any damage to the amp. But the tubes might not sound very good.
I have no idea if anyone other than perhaps Xcalibur255 might be interested in these...   Received a 1959 Raytheon 5687WA and a Sylvania Gold Brand 5687 with gold pins, probably manufactured in the 1960's, or maybe the early 1970's. (It is perhaps worth noting that Gold Brand, GE 5* and RCA Command were simply milspec JAN tubes repackaged for the civilian consumer market.) I haven't had a chance to do more than ensure that these light up and play, so can't yet say how...
Yeah, the price of 6900's is way out of my league and that tube isn't even on my radar. lol  Fortunately, 5687's are relatively cheap and very good.   I received a Sylvania Gold Brand 5687 with gold pins today. Since it is a repackaged 5687WA, notice the upper mica is doubled and there are two extra support posts between the micas. As it has an O-getter, I am assuming 1960's, or even 1970's, but it was cheap, and I am pleased to report that it lights up and plays.   I...
 Long time no see! :) For those not wanting to mess with external sockets, power supplies and so forth, a pair of C3g's with adapters are several orders of magnitude better than your 6HM5. And in fact, a pair of these are as good or better than the best double triodes we have found to date. This post should answer most of your questions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/6000#post_10512665
In the end, the highest bid wins. So it doesn't really matter if someone uses a sniping program if their bid is lower than yours. When I make my bid, I calculate my true maximum. That is, that amount such that if someone outbids me, I will have no regrets. Again, if someone else wants it more than I do, and is willing to pay more, it's their's.  And I know that if I am patient, another opportunity will eventually come along. :)
 It could be that one of the jumpers is defective. There is a way to check this. The EF91/92 jumper for each socket simply connects pin 7 to pin 5. That is, it connects Grid 3 (pin7) to the Plate (pin 5). To test this, you can easily make this connection in the socket. Put your LD back into EF95 mode. (I am assuming that EF95 has been working fine). Looking down on your sockets, the pinholes are counted counter-clockwise, starting with the pinhole to the right of the gap....
 We all have different ears and gear..... I found the difference in op amps to be quite noticeable. But again, this is me, my ears and my gear. As always YMMV. :)
 I think Mordy is absolutely correct. However, I think it is important to recognize that Gold Brand tubes are premium tubes. That is, back in the day, the military versions, in this case, the Sylvania 5687WA with extra support posts were not generally available to the consumer. Sylvania repackaged these military versions, complete with gold pins, and made them available to the public under the Gold Brand label. So while it was a marketing ploy, these tubes were Sylvania's...
 Yeah, we have probably read the same postings. Plus I have read that some consider the gold-pin Sylvania's among the best as well. Found a single and it's on it's way to me now. It is my impression that most of the amps that use this tube use pairs of them, some even two and three pairs, so singles are often pretty cheap. Good for me. :)