Posts by gibosi

To those of you with tube testers....   The seller makes a very good point, I think. The 6N1P and 6N5P should test and measure differently:   > 6N1P have higher S (4-5,4 mA/V)and lower Ia (6-9 mA ) with anode 250 volt > 6N5P have lower S (3,5-4,9 mA/V) and higher Ia (8-10 mA ) with anode 200 volt - like i tested on L3-3 with personal card for each tube type > You cant mix this tube if you can measure them.   Are any of you able to test these tubes in this way?
Taking a second look, I think the lighting in the photo makes the lettering look darker than it really is.....   http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N5P-Vintage-Audiophile-Triode-NEW-NOS-1971-Lot-of-1pcs-/171447516301?
 Without using an external heater PS for power tubes, other than the Russian 6N6P/6N30P-type tubes, the only others I am aware of are 6SN7's and 5687 (and related 7044/7119/E182CC).  And yes, so-called "pairs" of 6SN7 can be expensive. However, I suggest buying a bunch of cheap ones. For example, this listing. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mixed-Lot-16-RCA-6SN7-Type-Tubes-Tested-/390932102670? You often see lots of 8, 10, 20 tubes, often all one brand, and they usually sell...
My 6N1P-E's have black print. My 1963 6N5P has white print. And my 1968 6N5P has the silvery-gray print like we see on Voshkods and Reflektors.   And again, all these 1960's era tubes were manufactured in the NEVZ factory. However, my VII-74 6N1P were manufactured in the Voskhod factory. So it appears that sometime between 1966 and 1974, production of 6N1P's was shifted to Voskhod, while production of the 6N5P remained at NEVZ. And looking at eBay listings for 6N5P's, I...
You want something like this:   http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-6SN7-6H8C-6N8P-CV1988-B65-VT231-TO-6CG7-6FQ7-tube-adapter-for-you-amp-6-3V-/201083492877?   With 6SN7 on top and 6CG7 on the bottom.
I have two XI-66 6N1P-E and two 6N5P, IV-63 and XII-68. All these tubes were manufactured in the NEVZ factory in Novosibirsk, Russia.   Given that the 6N1P and 6N5P are very similar tubes, both manufactured in the same factory, they appear to share some of the same internals. The plates, micas and getter holders appear to be identical. The only visible difference I see is some kind of spring tensioning device which is located between the 6N1P-E's top two micas which...
Has anyone who has installed an external heater PS circuit to run 6AS7's tried the 6BL7 and/or 6BX7 as power tubes in their LD? (While these draw only 1.5A compared to 2.5A for the 6AS7, an external PS is still required.) Internally, these draw considerably less plate current than the 6AS7, and therefore, should be less stressful on circuit board resisters. And further, I have read a number of reports claiming that these sound better than the 6AS7 when used as power tubes....
 It is my understanding that in the amps that use the 6DN7, one half is used as a driver and the other half is used as a power. It would require fairly complex adapters to use these in an LD, but  of course, it could be done. :)
 If you go back through this thread, most, if not all, who have tried 6SN7's as power tubes, prefer them over the traditional 6N6P/6N30P-type tubes. As to the details and specifics, you will need to read their postings. Since I have an LD 1+, which uses an op amp, rather than power tubes, I simply can't say.... Cheers
 With a magnifying glass, looking between the two top micas, you can see that the 6N1P has tensioning springs attached to the cathodes, and the 6N5P does not. So again, while they are very similar, they are not the same....