Posts by gibosi

The 6463 and 6SN7 both have a mu of 20, the E182CC/7119 has a mu of 24 and a triode-strapped C3g has a mu of about 40. So yes, there is a big difference in gain, and I wonder if that is the reason, but I certainly do not know...   I have only the HD-700 and the HE-300 (only 50 ohms, so haven't even tried using it with the OTL). Unfortunately, I do not own or have access to any other phones such as the Audio Technica, Denons or planars....
As some of you might remember, upon receipt of my C3g/SN7 Glenn OTL, I was very disappointed that none of my 5998s were quiet enough to run in the enhanced 5998 mode. As it now turns out, this may not have been be entirely true.   Recently, I have been running my quietest pair of 5998s in the 6AS7 mode, drive by Lorenz C3gs, and this has been very acceptable in terms of noise and SQ. But in yesterday's mail, I received a Philips E182CC, and so of course, I wanted to make...
If anyone is interested in trying the Lorenz C3g, H1 and I got ours from this listing: 261863163393   The vendor puts 4 tubes up at a time. And after they sell, he puts up 4 more. This has been the pattern for some time now, but of course, I have no idea how long his inventory will last.
 -MisterX- makes a very good point. One can say that almost every output tube will shine in a certain amp, with complimentary drivers/headphones/ears/brains. But on the other hand, I can assure you that the most vaunted and and sought-after tubes do not sound great in every amp or with every headphone, much less, with every set of ears. So I hope no one goes chasing after one particular tube thinking it is going to be the "The Tube." And don't be too disappointed when the...
It is nothing to be concerned about. These were manufactured in different factories, by different companies using different procedures. As your collection grows, with close observation, you will notice that there are indeed lots of little differences between tubes manufactured in different factories or even the same factory but at different times. But again, nothing to be concerned about.
 So it isn't just because you are detail freak? Really??  lol :)
 If you are unwilling and/or unable to remove the brass rings, then you will likely need a small 7-pin socket saver to act as an extender. I used the one from Leed's Radio: http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/6000#post_10512665
I didn't spend a lot of time with the 6SL7 in my LD1+, but as I recall, I liked the Tung Sol 6SU7GTY and the Sylvania Gold Brand 6SL7GT (same as the regular Sylvania JAN-CHS 6SL7WGT) the best. :)    
An interesting read. And I am always open to try new tubes. But unfortunately, given that I have no idea how they might sound, the current listing for these AWV is a bit too expensive for my wallet....
 And often for a bit less money than the E188CC, I would suggest Heerlen, Holland-made E88CC, often labeled Amperex, Philips, Valvo and so forth. When looking at the Philips production code, you want to look for "⊿" which indicates the Heerlen factory. Orange globes and bugle boys were also manufactured in the same factory, and all of these have the Heerlen "house sound."