or Connect

Posts by gibosi

I don't think it was conceived as an upgraded 7N7. From the Sylvania datasheet http://www.shinjo.info/frank/sheets/084/7/7AF7.pdf its similarity to the 7N7 is acknowledged, but it has a lower mutual conductance than the 7N7. I think some in the audio community consider it an upgraded 7N7 because they think it sounds better. For example, It certainly seems to me that Jamato prefers the 7AF7 to the 7N7 and the 6SN7W given his recent...
Good work! I thought that there had to be an amp that used these, but I spent only a few minutes searching Google and didn't see it. And as cheap as this little amp is, I think it would be better than trying to make them work in an LD.
 As best as I can tell, both RCA and Sylvania manufactured the 7AF7. Again, I am not sure, but I think the rectangular bottom mica spacer indicates RCA and round indicates Sylvania. Anyway, which are you describing? The rectangular or round mica version?
 These look to be nice tubes. However, the E180F is a 9-pin pentode, whereas, the LD is designed to use 7-pin pentodes. With 6.3V / 0.3A heaters, the E180F does not require an external heater power supply, but still, a simple pin-adapter would be necessary. Unfortunately, I don't see any adapters on eBay, but if you really want to use these tubes, you might want to contact one of the Chinese adapter vendors on eBay and request that they build you a pair of adapters, E180F...
And as cheap as they are, I should probably pick up a 5C3S to compare to the 5Z3PA.....
I didn't really care for the RCA 5R4GY, but hope to try Brimar, Philips and maybe Fivre. On eBay they are getting to be fairly expensive, so I am biding my time until one pops up cheap. :)
I've been busy this afternoon! I need a nap! lol :)  
My vintage military 1973 Shuguang 5Z3PA and a 1949 RCA 5U4G.     After doing a bit more research, I realize that the construction of the 5Z3PA strongly resembles the USSR-made 5C3S also from the mid-1970s. However, this tube was not manufactured in the USSR. The etched logo, 曙光, or Shuguang (New Dawn) clearly indicates Chinese production.   The RCA 5U4G appears to be identical to the one reviewed by Dubstep Girl, that is, flat-black plates, four umbrella spikes...
Managed to find some time to compare the Telefunken and Siemens C3g, both manufactured in the mid-1960s.     Since the Lorenz and Siemens sound so very different, I was quite surprised to discover that the Siemens and Telefunken are very, very similar. To my ears, the treble on the Telefunkens is ever so slightly elevated. This elevated level was especially noticeable on female vocals, for example, Pebaluna's lead vocalist, Lauren Coleman, on the track, "No I Cant"...
 C3g: Unless you have access to an amp or a tube tester, I do not know of any way to check them. But apparently, you will have your amp soon, so I suggest you clean the pins and put them aside until your amp arrives. 7N7: There is no risk. It is perfectly safe to use 7N7/6SN7 as power tubes. However, as the technician pointed out, they can't provide as much current as the 6H30P. They are not as powerful. And therefore, the 7N7/6SN7 do not drive low-Z cans nearly as well....