Posts by gibosi

To my mind, the Sylvania 7963 was the best of the sub-miniatures I tried, but the Raytheon 6832 was a close second, stuffed into an octal base. :)  
I am pretty sure it is a 6832. These were manufactured by Raytheon.
 I doubt it... Low-Z cans, especially inefficient low-Z cans, require a lot of current. And the 6SN7 simply isn't up to the job. While not a perfect predictor, the amount of required heater current often correlates pretty well with the amount of DC current the tube can provide to the headphone driver. The 6SN7 draws 0.6A whereas the 6H30Pi draws 0.9A. By comparison, a 6AS7 draws 2.5A. making it the tube of choice for many OTL designs. And in a very few amps, the 6336 and...
 This is essentially a somewhat abbreviated version of a posting made several years ago by Acapella11: http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/1140#post_9392055
 IMO, the photos are very misleading. The single stand is described as 14cm tall (about 5.5 inches) and I suspect this is not tall enough for many over-the-ear cans. For example, my HD700 requires a stand that is at least 20cm tall (about 8 inches) in order that the cups do not touch the top of the base....
 From my experience, and that of others, all C3g with whilte silkscreened logos and text on shiny-black cans were manufactured in the 1970's by Siemens. In the 1950's and 60's, both Lorenz and Siemens manufactured this tube, characterized by flat-black cans and embossed logos. And I am fairly sure that Telefunken also manufactured this tube during that time, with similar flat-black cans and embossed logos, but they would appear to be very rare. While I can't be positive, I...
 True, the getters themselves have no effect on the sound. And further, they have no effect on other things that do. For those of us who collect tubes, the primary importance of the getter shape is that it provides an important clue as to when the tube was manufactured. For example, halo getters were first introduced in the late 1950's, and became common in the 1960's and into the 1970's. And therefore, a Mullard M8100 with halo getters was likely manufactured in the...
 That quote of mine is in regard to 6BX7, which I primarily listen to. So I really can't say much at all about the sound of 6BL7. That said, given that both the 6BL7 and 6BX7 are quite cheap, I would encourage you to try several brands. GE and Syvania are the most plentiful. And during the early to mid 1950's, it appears that they were the only American manufacturers. Tung Sol and RCA didn't begin manufacturing these tubes until the late 1950's, so before that, they...
 I have tried GE and Sylvania 6BX7, and I prefer the GE. And fortunately, they are plentiful and cheap.
 It is important to remember that the WA22 is a transformer-coupled amp. I have an OTL, and there is a significant difference between running two versus four, which is especially noticeable in terms of bass dynamics, power and punch.