or Connect

Posts by gibosi

In the past, I have had good success straightening bent pins on all-glass tubes using a pair of needle-nose pliers -- slowly and gently. Good luck!
I am sure it will sound great.   And folks may want to grab a couple pairs of EL3N, and perhaps the older EL3, soon, before the prices start to climb. :)
Or.. I remember that several weeks ago, Glenn posted that he was planning to build a new amp for himself, using the  EL3N....   http://www.head-fi.org/t/600110/2359glenn-studio/13185#post_12563152
 As Mordy notes, it could be that these are examples from years when the dots don't quite make sense. Or, it could be that the sandblasting equipment occasionally malfunctioned, perhaps the nozzles were prone to clogging, and as a result, the bottom row of dots is missing on each of these tubes. Or it could be that over the years, the bottom row of dots were simply rubbed off. But for sure, a bit of a puzzle...
Again, if you see a tube with that sandblasted alphanumeric tube-type and dot-code pattern, it was definitely manufactured by GE. No other manufacturer used this technique. I have seen GE 6BL7 rebadged as RCA, Raytheon, Tung-Sol, Amperex, Westinghouse, Philco, Zenith and on and on....
Well color me very very surprised! I think I prefer the GE 6BX7 over the Sylvana 6BX7, at least with the GEC/MOV B36. The Sylvanias have a bit more treble presence, and on some tracks, with the B36, it's just a bit too much treble. However, these are early impressions. The tubes are not completely burnt-in and I need to spend more time with them. But still, they are certainly better than I expected. lol.  
Judging by the mica spacers and etching, the Ultrons look to me like rebadged Sylvania. And the fact that they are GTA and have halo getters suggests 1960 or later.
 It is difficult for me to picture in my mind the exact arrangement of dots on your tube from looking at the dots you posted. A photo would be most helpful. So let me start by going back to the picture I posted above: First, Row X is empty on my tube. And since it is not clear what dots in Row X represent, we can simply ignore it. Second, Column C represents a vertical dividing line. The dots in the 2X3 matrix, Y, to the right indicate the year. and the dots in the 2X3...
Picked up a quad of GE 6BX7GT today. I should probably note that among my favorite tubes, not one of them is a GE. In my experience, I find GE tubes to be mediocre at best when used for audio. Thus, when exploring a new tube group, I tend to avoid GE tubes from the get-go. However, it appears that the vast majority of 6BX7 were manufactured by GE, even though they might carry the RCA, Hytron or other label. And since they are cheap, I decided to put my "snobbery" aside and...