Posts by pathway

Hey Conquerator2,   I'd be interested to hear what tracks you listened to.   I am not super sensitive to sibilance but there are rare occasions where the treble can be a bit too much with the Yamaha but 99% of the time I have zero issues and they are definitely better than my AKG550 in that regard.   Sorry to hear they are not for you - but that's what makes this 'game' so fun (and frustrating) - one persons diamond is anothers coal :)   I've never heard the...
Very interested in something like this but struggling to find a retailer here in the UK (and it would probably be a fair chunk more expensive).   My primary interest is for a compact DAC that I would use to feed my old (modded) MF X-Can V2 amp for use with my various headphones (HD580, AKG550, Yamaha HPH-MT220 and VMODA M80) but I'm also interested in occasionally using my iPad/iPhone as a source (generally Spotify streaming or local tracks) and so a USB to CCK option is...
I'm a happy owner of an old (battered/worn/scuffed/bent but still functionally perfect) pair of HD580s and needed something to use at work and at home when not alone.   I initially grabbed a pair of AKG550 and was pretty happy with them for a while but I couldn't get the fit to really work well for me unless I was sitting very still. I also found the treble a little harsh at times but still think they are a nice closed HP with a sound not a million miles from an open can...
Definitely give the Yamaha 220s a try. They are exceptional for the money and easily best the AKG550 (I have both) and for a closed HP provide an excellent listening experience. They also fit your description very well - neutral with a slight bass emphasis. They suit all music types and do improve with DAC/Amplification so will 'grow' I've never heard the NAD but it seems they are very close to the Yamahas though the latter can be picked up pretty cheaply. I'd read the...
The 250 or 770? Or will they both fit?   Happy to try them out :)
Interesting comments regarding pad rolling   I love the cans as stock and my only complaint is the depth of the pad as my ear just touches the driver on some occasions. As an interim measure I have placed a small amount of material inside the pads to lift them a touch which works and hasn't had a negative impact on the SQ.   However, I am intrigued to try some others - perhaps velour rather than pleather so if others have experience I'd be very interested to hear...
I have been planning on doing that - only just got them so not got round to it but it's a trick people have used in the past to improve the seal on the AKG K550. I seem to remember womens 'tights/hosiery' material was suggested.
The MT220 are not an open back HP but are closed.   The isolation is not great but once music is playing, even at reasonably low volumes, I find they block out all the sound in my office environment without needing to push the volume high at all.   I have only been using them for a few days so and have not compared them with my other cans much yet (hence no review to date) but overall I think they are outstanding for the money. The concerns I had about the treble (and...
Much appreciated - I had read the entire thread but completely forgot about those comments - apologies!   My current office cans are pretty bright anyway and generally I like the sound signature so I doubt these will be problematic but only time will tell   Cheers   O
Well,   I'm wondering if I'll ever get to find out myself! Still no HP delivery which is becoming very frustrating. Amazon are usually outstanding but these are 'through' Amazon but coming from another company. They do have a very good rating so I think this may be a one-off hence giving them some leeway.   Anyway - the Philips L2 look fantastic and if I was in the market for a semi-open design in that price range they would certainly be high on my list. However, I'm...