Posts by pathway

Just pulled the trigger on one of these   Have been looking for a while but couldn't justify the outlay though some xmas savings and selling off some other gear has freed me up in that department so am eager to find out how they perform.   I am flying out to San Jose tomorrow (from the UK) so have ordered via Amazon.com and they will get shipped to my hotel by Monday with a nifty $100 saving over the UK price to boot :) (shame I couldn't do this last time I traveled...
Despite the confusingly & wildly fluctuating comments from Digital7 in different threads the Yamaha MT220 are a very good HP for the price and, it seems, can compete well with cans that are significantly more expensive - there are many on this site who have good things to say about them, myself included but of course it only matters if their sound signature is to your liking.   In terms of truly closed HP comparison I can only comment with any detail regarding the AKG...
Whilst there is a thread debunking this HP at the moment I would definitely consider the Yamaha HPH-MT220 as well in your list - I own both the Yamaha and the AKG550 and almost always pick the Yamaha for its overall sound. Personally I find it strikes a good balance between bass impact and accuracy elsewhere in the range and, to my ears, it presents details well and is an enjoyable listen with most music genres. Plenty of info on this site with owners opinions. Easily...
Hey Conquerator2,   I'd be interested to hear what tracks you listened to.   I am not super sensitive to sibilance but there are rare occasions where the treble can be a bit too much with the Yamaha but 99% of the time I have zero issues and they are definitely better than my AKG550 in that regard.   Sorry to hear they are not for you - but that's what makes this 'game' so fun (and frustrating) - one persons diamond is anothers coal :)   I've never heard the...
Very interested in something like this but struggling to find a retailer here in the UK (and it would probably be a fair chunk more expensive).   My primary interest is for a compact DAC that I would use to feed my old (modded) MF X-Can V2 amp for use with my various headphones (HD580, AKG550, Yamaha HPH-MT220 and VMODA M80) but I'm also interested in occasionally using my iPad/iPhone as a source (generally Spotify streaming or local tracks) and so a USB to CCK option is...
I'm a happy owner of an old (battered/worn/scuffed/bent but still functionally perfect) pair of HD580s and needed something to use at work and at home when not alone.   I initially grabbed a pair of AKG550 and was pretty happy with them for a while but I couldn't get the fit to really work well for me unless I was sitting very still. I also found the treble a little harsh at times but still think they are a nice closed HP with a sound not a million miles from an open can...
Definitely give the Yamaha 220s a try. They are exceptional for the money and easily best the AKG550 (I have both) and for a closed HP provide an excellent listening experience. They also fit your description very well - neutral with a slight bass emphasis. They suit all music types and do improve with DAC/Amplification so will 'grow' I've never heard the NAD but it seems they are very close to the Yamahas though the latter can be picked up pretty cheaply. I'd read the...
The 250 or 770? Or will they both fit?   Happy to try them out :)
Interesting comments regarding pad rolling   I love the cans as stock and my only complaint is the depth of the pad as my ear just touches the driver on some occasions. As an interim measure I have placed a small amount of material inside the pads to lift them a touch which works and hasn't had a negative impact on the SQ.   However, I am intrigued to try some others - perhaps velour rather than pleather so if others have experience I'd be very interested to hear...
I have been planning on doing that - only just got them so not got round to it but it's a trick people have used in the past to improve the seal on the AKG K550. I seem to remember womens 'tights/hosiery' material was suggested.