Posts by Yahzi

I've heard audiophiles claim that the most accurate and finely tuned measuring devices are our senses. Do you agree with this? If not, why not?
Not sure if anybody has watched this but :   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9HrYAyVItY   And :   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lozs7KWlQ7Q   What do you make of these videos?
So the difference in gain structure and volume pot from one amp to the next could explain the subjective terms such as 'laid-back', 'sterile', 'warm' etc?
So the two amps have different gain structures? If I'm understanding this correctly, the supplied power on one amp with a given gain structure could be reached over a wider range on the volume pot compared to another. So a higher gain structure means the supplied power is probably over a more narrow range on the volume pot.   This is all very interesting to me. So even though the amp is less powerful, it sounds more powerful given a higher gain. I assumed there would be...
Could someone technical please help me out. Between these two integrated amps Yamaha AS300 and Arcam A22, I've found that subjectively the one amp (the Yamaha) at a low volume on the knob sounds louder, more energetic, livelier etc. The Arcam sounds softer and just plain anemic at a similar position on the volume knob. The Arcam has  a higher output power. Now I don't believe in amps sounding different, but I suspect the gain structure on both amps are completely...
Oh okay, I assumed that because the cone has a resonant frequency that if the main speakers reached this frequency the cone of the sub would augment it.
  Please explain why its not a passive radiator? Why would it absorb at the resonant frequency? Just trying to understand.
Would an unused subwoofer act like a bass trap of sorts? And other speakers in a room? What impact would they have on a pair of stereo speakers? I've always been told that a stereo system should have other speakers out the room otherwise it may contaminate the sound.
  Would that not be detrimental to sound quality for stereo?
Just wanted to know, if you have a stereo system combined with other speakers in a room, is it true that the additional unused speakers may act like passive radiators at some frequencies? Is this a myth or is there some truth to this? I have noticed that if I play some music on my main speakers set full range I feel my subwoofer cone move a little even when it's disconnected from the system. Weird.