Posts by franmon83

Hi Currawong,   I had to look into the site's glossary to learn what a HDAM was, but now I know  (I learn stuff every time I visit this forum). Now, am I right in concluding that in the Compass 2, the HDAM is what is referred to as the Earth/Sun/Moon OPA on Audio-gd, and that as such, it should not be used when the signal passes through the DAC (only the via the line in)? Is there other(s) HDAM(s) already wired in the DAC signal path that I should know about? Finally, if...
Don't worry, I won't rush into anything . I'll give it a good couple of weeks before making up my mind on what I like and dislike with the Compass. Then, I might decide to order the WM8741, even if it's just to try it out and measure myself the difference between the two (it is not that expensive after all).
  I know the laptop does not have a "better" DAC than the Compass one, that is not the question. Right now, I experience issues of popping with the USB and I find musically smoother the headphone output at the moment (before significant burn-in) because of the sound characteristics that I enumerated in my first post. Now, I have already seen an improvement with the optical input sound, but my question's goal was to know what to expect from the unit. If USB should be the...
  From audio-gd website: "The OPA only effect the sound flavor of line in . The built in DAC have not OPA in the signal channels . If users want to change the sound flavors , can exchange the DA modules."  But in any case, I've read more and more posts mentioning this kind of unit might take 200-300 hours burn-in before stabilizing, so I'll continue using the digital path and try to notice the differences as they go. If I experience noticeable changes with time, I'll...
Thanks for the info about your DAC! I figured that would be the case... I'm already starting to see a difference, but I was wondering if it was not my mind/ears playing tricks on me (to alleviate the pain of a potentially wasted investment )... I'll keep going for at least a couple of weeks before making up my mind... That's why I labeled the thread as an impressions thread, not a review thread.
  Is there any obvious reason why that wouldn't work? I thought about doing that yesterday, but I couldn't think of a way to configure the unit to do that... Input selection is either line in or DAC...
Comments anyone? (Bump)
Like promised, I just posted my first impressions of the unit in a new thread, for those interested.
I received my Audio-gd Compass 2 yesterday (default build with the 2 free TCXOs... not sure what those are supposed to change to the sound, but hey: they were free!), and I thought I would publish a summary of first impressions I got with the unit.   While reading this post, keep in mind that I am still a neophyte audiophile and as such, I will try to do my best to describe what I hear in my own words. I am looking forward to reading about what other owners think...
Went ahead and ordered the Compass 2. Hope It'll be worth it! Thanks to all who gave suggestions! I'll report my impressions here when I receive the amp.