Posts by franmon83

Thanks a lot for the suggestions cel4145!    I never had considered buying a player before, but the more I read about the features, the more versatile this solution sounds to me... I will check in my area (Quebec, Canada) if I can find some deals on one of those suggestions... In the meantime, if anyone has any other opinions or hands-on experience, I'm all ears!
Good point.   I'd rather pay less than 200$, but I'd be willing to go up to around 300$ for the right device ;)
bump
Hi,   I already have my bases covered for my main setup (audio-gd Compass 2) and at work (Fiio E7) and I got a Fiio E9 that I sometimes use in my bedroom, but I'm now looking for a secondary setup to listen to music on my laptop at night.   I want recommendations for a portable (either battery powered or preferably USB powered) DAC/AMP to pair with my MacBook Pro and my beloved HD650. I can use USB input or optical, via the MBP optical out.   I was hesitating between...
Hey Mad Lust,I bought the Wolfson chip and it is definitely noticeable. It is warmer, but at the cost of loosing some detail at quite high frequencies. Personnaly, for the kind of music that I listen to (electronic music), I prefer it like that, because I found the Sabre a little too bright for my taste, with the highs sometimes shadowing the lows details a bit (not sure I explain it correctly, but it's like some high peaks were "numbing" my hears for a really brief amount...
Hi Steve,   The two DACs are separate purchases. The ES9018 comes by default with the unit, and I purchased the WM8741 afterwards and had to physically swap out the ES9018 module and insert the WM8741 instead. The whole process (what to remove, where to insert the new module and what jumper settings to select) is very easy to do and documented on audio-gd's website. (I just visited audio-gd's website and realized they greatly changed the Compass 2 page and removed a lot...
I upgraded to the firmware no.3 and it also solved my dropping issues completely... BUT I now have trouble having the Compass detected via the USB connection only in Mac OS X. Using the same configuration in Windows 7 plugging in the Compass in the same USB port, it gets detected without any problem. In Mac OS X, though, it seems after a reboot it will never get detected automatically. I realized after a while that starting Audirvana Free would make it work again. Before...
FYI, I just ordered the Dual WM8741 module for the fun of comparing with the ES9018 and learning by myself what the differences sound like
Hi WizardKnight,   I really couldn't say, as I don't have the dual WM8741 myself, but I read the same section of the website and it only talks about issues with coax and optical inputs, not USB. In my case, optical input is perfect, and I didn't have a chance to try coax, due to a lack of source connectivity. Since for me, the USB input was more of a nice add-on than a necessity, I only use the optical input for now. But to answer your question, I never could resolve the...
My optical is not the one acting up, it's the USB... I tried the other jumper setting just in case, but did not see any difference. The USB is still dropping a sample or two once in a while, but really not that often since I switched USB port on my laptop. It's hardly noticeable anymore, but I work in realtime video and audio, so when a sample drop, I hear it... it's my job.   But thanks for the info, I read it, but didn't pay too much attention to it since I had a little...