Posts by Ahriman4891

Quote: Originally Posted by MaloS Otherwise there would be NO DIFFERENCE between my Stello DAC and an EMM Labs CDP. Are you implying that the difference in the digital path of these devices produces more effect on analog output than the difference in analog paths? (Schematic, caps, opamps, interference--which matters way more for analog, etc. etc.?) I'm willing to bet that the difference is due to the CDP being way more expensive and less...
Quote: Originally Posted by webbie64 Level 5 encodes and decodes faster That's not true; decoding (i.e. playback) speed does not depend on compression level. Interesting writing otherwise
Thanks!
Quote: Originally Posted by Sir Nobax k let me rephrase this: DUH!! I have sigs turned off, and I forgot that X-fi is not even in my sig any more KT88, Xonar has Burr-Brown DACs, right? EDIT: Answering my own question, Yes, according to the 2nd picture on this page.
Quote: Originally Posted by Sir Nobax CREATIVE SUCKS ! *...looks at sig* Aw, crap. CREATIVE IS THE BEST ! ! WHooooO! I assume you mean my sig? I don't use X-fi for music, for reasons I described above.
Quote: Originally Posted by CTY I would like to understand why using DirectSound or any other Kmixer related output method degrades the sound quality. If there are no other applications playing audio at the same time, there should happen no mixing and the audio stream should just be passed on to the device driver by Kmixer - or did I miss something? Kmixer resamples to 48 KHz IIRC, hence the "bit-perfectness" goes out of the window. Also, it may...
Quote: 2 - The ASUS driver has a place to select the sample rate of the card. If you use it in 44.1KHz the 22.05KHz is the limit. I know Quote: 1 - maybe the RMAA is set to check only 20-20 (as I do in some cases) Well, seeing that it's on EVERY graph, either they specifically set RMAA in 20-20 just for ASUS, or there is a driver problem (or some RMAA glitch) at the moment. Curiously, it seems to handle 48 KHz fine--it's just 96...
One thing you have to keep in mind is that there is a strong anti-creative sentiment among computer audiophiles Also, most creative haters probably never heard the Elite Pro, only the lesser models (elite pro has flagship Cirrus Logic DACs, different board layout and IIRC better opamps as well). For what it's worth, I can tell you that E-mu 0404 usb (same DAC as X-meridian and Prelude) to me sounds more natural than the regular x-fi, less metallic and with a bit more...
Quote: RMAA results are utterly worthless and has absolutely no correlation with human hearing. evaluations must be based on subjective impressions sort of like the reviews we have on head-fi. Of what use are your subjective impressions to me, given that "everybody's ears are different?" RMAA will not tell you how something sounds, but will point out when something is clearly wrong. In case of ASUS, looks like there is a brickwall-type filter that...
Quote: Originally Posted by vcoheda why do major amp manufacturers (RSA, HeadRoom, Single Power, HeadAmp) always demo their equipment at meets using CD players instead of computer based setups? Despite being knowledgeable in their field, some people may be afraid of computers They may not be well versed in computer security, etc. which makes their computer a bad demo station due to stability problems. Others just want to look "reputable" in...