Posts by machoboy

The pair of PRO DJ100s I mini-reviewed turned out to be defective as tdockweilder suspected (and I kind of suspected)   Last night they got even weirder/more scooped sounding then stopped producing sound at all   Still curious about how these sound in non-defective form so maybe I'll exchange for another 
I'd like to say my previous opinions about the PRO DJ100 are officially irrelevant... They're doing some crazy things now and cutting out and I clearly got a defective pair.   I had a feeling something was wrong as they sounded nothing like the reviews I saw on here. 
The thing that scared me away from the SRH940 was all the posts on here about them basically disintegrating. I love the 840s and otherwise would have been anxious to try the 9s.   Neither the KRKs nor V6s really capture what I love about the K 702s but both are holding me over for tracking duties I suppose.
I would consider them very good travel headphones. They're pretty easily driven and they fold down very quickly into a compact bundle with a weatherproof-ish carrying pouch.   Comfort: The clamp is mild (pretty close to our 701/702s). The entire headphone is very light. They have shallow ear cups which, while completely encircling my ears, are clearly not designed for hardcore isolation. They're not plush or luxurious but I quickly forget I'm wearing them. I'd say...
I still plan on trying the K 272, KAM HP1 and perhaps some Superlux.
As a late followup I got the Koss PRO DJ100, KRK KNS8400 and Sony MDR-V6 yesterday and I've been shooting them out as usual.   The clear loser is the Koss. The bass and treble are so inaccurate it's not even funny. The build quality is a strange mix of expensive metal cups/hinges coupled with dollar-store pads and cable, but I guess pretty good for th eprice. The only feature I really like is the mono switch. Eh, close but no cigar.   EDIT: The Koss turned out to...
    I bought my K 702s and DT 880 pros at the same time (same day actually) so I spent 2 weeks listening to both.   I liked the K 702s more in every way. I bought them for the same reason as you: Tried the K 240 S, was somewhat shocked by how colored and "vintage" they sounded given their reputation for use in studios, but fell in love with the open AKG mid range.   The 2i2 has a pretty bad headphone amp from what I recall. I have an 8i6 and Pro 24 and I don't...
Nevermind -- didn't see you already bought something.
  You're right, there are some differences, and I prefer the K over the Q, but for the sake of advice to prospective buyers, it's hard to imagine anyone who likes one not liking the other.
I didn't mean generic - just "safer choice". The HE-400 definitely has its own sound but I think it's a sound with more immediate appeal to someone coming straight from $50 headphones to the $300 ballbark these are in. Not in a bad way but in a familiarity with things like bass quantity.   For someone like me who has ears very sensitive to lower bass clarity but insensitive to upper treble and likes strong mids as an "anchor" to both, the K 702 fits like a glove. For many...