Posts by machoboy

K 701/702, all of the above
Deciding whether or not you like vinyls based on digital rips of vinyls is like deciding whether or not you like how caviar tastes by watching someone else eat it on TV.   And caviar is the perfect analogy because there's a solid chance you will NOT like it.
There are two very distinct types of vinyl lovers. They occasionally overlap, but they need to be separated.   1. Ultimate sound quality people. These are the car-priced turntables you speak of when you say that in order for vinyl to "surpass" digital, you must spend absurd amounts of money.   2. Music lovers who actually enjoy vinyl from an intimate hobby standpoint, including the maintenance, the physical collection, the warmth, and yes even the occasional...
See the Q40s are a prime example of why it's not just an issue of neutrality. The Q40s have tons of bass but it's thunderous, powerful theater-type bass -- and they also have great mid range if you roll the bass down a little. They aren't my thing but while I owned them I admitted that they were a near perfect execution of that sound preference.   The Beats Pros on the other hand:  
These remind me a lot of the SRH840s. The bass and treble both have massive extension and they sound scooped when you first put them on but then you realize the vocal range/mid range is fairly forward.   In essence they sound "weird", no doubt about it, they're different from most headphones, but I'm pretty astonished at their ability to pick up flaws in tracks. I just listened to a couple hours of Toto over some brut champagne (what a great day) and I was hearing...
I see this Lower end K44/77/99 line everywhere (it's like half of the total headphone section at my local GC) but they're almost never discussed on head-fi, with reviews being scarce and quickly buried. I'm not sure why. It can't be simply them sucking -- because even headphones that suck really bad get tons of discussion on here (....... beats). They just seem to have flown under the radar.
Beats sound like one of those inflatable bouncy balls piled in the diaper/toys isle at the supermarket being dribbled on my ear. I don't see how anyone who has become even briefly accustomed to neutrality or ever done anything related to recording/pro audio can physically stomach that bouncing, booming, echoing sound signature. It's like listening to an album recorded in a 4'x4'x100' hallway.   However, the fact that the M50s are so constantly compared to Beats and...
The V6 sounds very good for the price (I paid $70) with honest mids and treble but they are not flat down low at all, as the OP requested. The sub bass is very enhanced and can be "boomy" on tracks that reach down low enough.
How does the sound signature of these compare with the K 701 / K 702?   I love how these look. I keep buying closed-back headphones for recording but none of them are as enjoyable to listen to as the AKGs.
David,   Would you say the KAM HP1 resembles the sound of the K 702 at all? (I'm not only going by looks, but also a few similarities in your description and the obvious fact that KAM are... "Inspired" by AKG.) I'm still looking for a closed headphone with sound reminiscent of my K 702 if you have any suggestions.   This is by the way the best post/thread on this whole forum but I think you've been told that...     Perfectly worded. Some people would go more extreme and...