or Connect

Posts by machoboy

I think it's the simple fact that you're buying "just OK" headphones which have been jacked up to audiophile prices via a "gangster rapper endorsed" marketing gimmick.   Some people will pay a few hundred extra $$$ to be "gangster rapper endorsed", but I think people who take audio equipment seriously will just feel like their intelligence is being insulted and react with hostility or satire.   I tried them out and since it was quite brief I don't know how detailed I...
Hi,   In the mail right now with my name on them are:   Shure SRH840 M-Audio Q-40 AKG-240S Ultrasone HFI-580   I don't plan on keeping all of them and want to quickly narrow it down to which are my favorites. Does anyone have any song recommendations for testing headphone detail? Mixes with lots of very subtle things going on that will allow me to test drive how each of these headphones work in a mastering scenario.   Genre is not important, I will...
  No worries I don't get into forum fights Bad analogy maybe? I gave it a shot
It's not just volume, it's clarity of volume. A better power source will make clarity and tightness more consistent across all volume ranges (assuming those ranges never surpass the capacity of the speaker).   You're ultimately listening to extremely rapid vibrations, and you're ultimately using some sort of amp. The ones in your integrated laptop soundcard and iphone are just quite minimal, like a small child shakily managing to lift up a heavy weight and...
So now the "shootout" will be Ultrasone HFI-580 vs Shure SRH840 vs AKG 240 vs M-audio Q-40
I had just glanced at the 2900 prices and saw one place selling for $500. With the rave reviews they get I didn't question it.   I think I officially have an addiction though. I just ordered some AKG 240s too.   Come on they have gold circles on them. How can someone resist gold circles?   I guess I'm going to be around here for a long time......
I have, but coming off of a pair of $70 Sonys (beyond horrible) and $70 Grados (intriguing but not my thing), I don't think I know what I like enough to start looking at stuff in the price range of the PRO 2900s, D5000s, etc.   I'm definitely not keeping all of these $120-150 pairs. After I narrow it down to one I like then maybe I can affirmatively identify as a Shure/Beyer//Ultrasone/etc man and feel more sane laying down $500+ on a single "ultimate" headphone.
Thanks. I was very close to ordering the HM5 as a more conservative & accurate option to compare to the bassy 580s and Q-40, but they'll have to wait now since I just ordered the Shure SRH840s.   The HM5s and PRO 550 are definitely next on the list.
  Thank you- I think you just solved the mystery for me. I had never noticed they had completely different ohm ratings. (64 vs 32). It also explains why some people were saying they have no bass and some people were saying they have perfect, slightly reduced bass compared to the 580. Probably comes down to whether they're being fed adequate power. Damn, now I want to try the 550s pretty badly.
  I believe the HFI580a nd DJ1 are identical other than appearance And the PRO550 and DJ1Pro are identical other than appearance but that all of them use the same drivers