Posts by machoboy

Not so much to teach him a lesson (how much worse can they sound than the real thing?), just to save money.    When the "Beats" fad is over and he shows a serious interest in audio the same money can go towards something truly nice.
Some of those could use an amp some don't really need it. My HFI 580s for example sounded so, well, "ultra" from any source, that I would struggle to notice subtle source-to-source differences. I haven't tried the Custom Ones but if I recall they were designed specifically for very low output devices with ohms of 16 or so...
I just got an email from Santa and it says that any boys who make new Monster/Beats threads will be getting coal this Christmas...
He's 11. Get him counterfeit Beats for $11.95 and watch them rot in a corner a week later. Grouchy old 20-something man advice.
M50s really aren't that special. They're not terrible either but really? Nothing touches ATH-M50s in accuracy? ... COME ON...   Speaking of the HD 380, there was a studio headphone shootout recently by a German audio/recording magazine between about 25 models and he actually picked the HD 380 over everything (including HD 800s, 600s, top end Beyers, etc.). But I talked to the writer and he pointed out that his grading scale included "non-fatiguing" as one of the...
Slow news day eh...
The v6s don't have a low frequency roll off. Quite the opposite. They sound decently balanced until something triggers the sub-bass then they're bothersomely bassy (to me).   They are a great bargain at the price but the sudden boominess at very low freq is probably why I won't end up keeping them long term.
  If by record vocals you mean listen to themselves while singing (tracking), they can use absolutely any closed-back headphones for that. In fact, you might use something with stupidly exaggerated bass on purpose to make the singer think they sound better than they do and get them into it... Or patch them into a signal wet with lots of EQ/reverb that isn't actually going into the recording side.   In summary:   Most artists do not mix their own music. In fact, almost...
  The M50s are $112 on Amazon and the M40s are $49.81 so that's a $2.81 discount heh. Not a bad price but definitely not "Free M40s".
Nothing super flat under $100.   You could get the NVX XPT100/Brainwavz HM5 for $100 for a while (one on preorder, one with a coupon code) but I'm not sure now. Mine were quite flat sounding but also conjested/nasal sounding. Still worth it for the $100 deal. They are the same headphone with different logos and earpads.   Other than that the SRH440 might be your best bet.   I have the KRK 8400s at the moment and I wouldn't use the word flat... They're...