Posts by machoboy

For diverse genres and good "seperation" (really, no headphone has good separation, but I know what you mean), the Shure 440s are probably your safest bet.
I don't think it's so much that audiophiles "hate" rap/hip hop (and punk, and grindcore, etc.) so much as that they listen to music for reasons that don't mesh with those genres.   Those genres tend to be heavily bound to youth subcultures, so things like recording quality and subtle composition tend to go out the window in favor of fitting into a clique and maximizing sonic shock factor. There's also generally an age gap between the average rap/punk/etc. scene and...
Subtracting the obvious Beats etc junk, I think Beyerdynamic's house sound annoys me the most because they make some very nice headphones that have everything going for them except a mysteriously absent mid range. I love their build quality, comfort, looks, etc., but they just can't seem to put out something with decent mids for less than a grand.
The graphs are flawed - but they usually vary less than human opinions.   Look up any headphone on head-fi and read 20 threads about it and you will come out knowing it is:   "A bass-shy anemic basshead can with recessed brilliant forward mid range that lacks detail and exposes poor bitrates with rolled off bright creamy airy highs that cause tinnitus + needs an amp (no particular reason or specific amp mentioned)".   Your best bet is looking at 2-3 charts...
    Oh. Well if it was posted in a forum...
Hearing damage is caused by sound pressure levels. We say "hurts our ears" when we hear a sound frequency we don't like and might even get a headache from straining our hearing around it, but I seriously doubt any specific headphone is more likely to produce tinnitus than another. Very silly.
lol   I can see that scene too, when his friends come to school and decide to test the authenticity of everyone's as-seen-on-TV gangster rapper headphones and his are deemed fake. Then all of the children in the yard chant "Fake, fake! He's-A-Fake!". This is the most traumatizing Christmas ever...       Seriously, as spoiled as I was as a kid if I wanted $300-400 headphones, I had to make a better case than "pimp swagger". Maybe things have changed since those distant '90s.
  He could go the openly aggressive route instead.   Just buy him those Hello Kitty headphones (which look remarkably like a Beats product). When he opens the box and gets all angry and teary eyed, stand up and point at him and yell "Happy now creampuff? You look pretty enough yet, sissy?" then spike them on the floor and kick all the wrapping paper everywhere.   That's what my Christmas mornings were like and now I'm a cold, hard, brutal capitalist with many girlfriends.
  The thing about studios is that they're buying so much gear that they often go with 50 wholesale pairs of the "industry standard" when it comes to little doodads like headphones. Those are the K 240 Studio and MDR-V6.   Neither of which are very neutral by modern standards - but in a studio with tens of thousands of dollars of external monitors sitting around they aren't mixing on headphones anyway. At most they see tracking or "headphone-friendly panning check"...
http://recording.de/Magazin/Testberichte/2621/Vergleichstest__Studiokopfh%C3%B6rer_abgeh%C3%B6rt.html#article   In so many words: SRH840 scores the highest overall but he likes the HD 380 the most because they were not fatiguing and the robust bass can be adjusted for. He also likes the M50s but not quite as much praise as for the other two.