New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by Airwolf

I have to say, I am genuinely impressed that @TeamHiFiMAN proactively reached out to me to replace the pads.  That is above and beyond my expectations and shows that they have great customer service.
The speakers would mostly be for playing computer games.  I have a home theater w/ HTPC for most other activities.  I would prefer something I could just hook up to the pre-amp outputs of my Asgard 2, so I don't have to switch around cables.
I generally use headphones when I am at my computer because I live in a condominium complex and my neighbors pound on the ceiling if my cat farts too loud.  I do, however, have the need for some speakers every once in a while; usually when friends are over.  As the speakers will only be used occasionally, I am hoping not to drop more than about $100 on the setup.  The speakers would need to be self powered.  I know it is a bit absurd, especially among audiophiles, but I...
I have had focus pads for my HE-400's since September of last year.  I use my HE-400's pretty much 7 days a week on my main computer at home.  I have noticed that the synthetic leather is starting to separate from the plastic rings that secure the pads to the headphones.  I am generally borderline OCD about treating everything I own with a great amount of care.  I do not drag the headphones off of or onto my head; I always pull them away from my ears when taking them off...
I have been thinking about getting some custom IEM's.  I would mainly be using them at work, connected to my Asus Zenbook Prime (UX31A-DB51), which has a Realtek ALC269 audio chipset.  Alternatively, I would be listening with my HTC One M8 phone or very rarely on my home PC, which has a Soundblaster ZxR going to a Schiit Asgard 2.  I know the Zenbook is not exactly a good source, so I am not opposed to using something like an Audioquest Dragonfly, if need be.  I was hoping...
 Sweet!
 Thanks for the reply.  I used to have a pair of Tritton AX Pro headphones, which had 4 discrete speakers per ear (front, center, rear, and sub).  The headphones only sounded good (relatively speaking) when using the external headphone amp/connector that it came with.  It only accepted surround using an optical SPDIF connector, so I was forced to use Dolby Digital Live for surround gaming.  After 4 different sound cards (Creative X-Fi, Creative Recon 3D, some Auzentech,...
  I used to have a pair of BD DT990 250 ohm headphones before I upgraded to the HE-400's.  I found that even though the sound card I am using is rated up to 600 ohms on the headphone output, low notes were getting are muddled up and crappy.  Adding a JDS O2 made a huge difference in the quality of the bass from the 990's, but didn't make much of a difference loudness wise.  I have not had any problems volume wise with the HE-400's, but I did notice that the bass was also...
I am currently using a Sound Blaster Recon 3D Fatal1ty Professional card outputting via the amplified headphone jack to a Schiit Adgard 2 amplifier.  I have a set of HiFiMAN HE-400 headphones with focus pads connected to the Asgard 2.  I would say I spend about 80% of my time on my PC playing games (TF2, Payday 2, Battlefield 4, or some other FPS du jour) and the other 20% divided between watching movies/TV shows and listening to chill trance and chill-step.  I am a little...
 From what I have been told, it is because my HE-400's were doubling the output current specifications of the op-amps.  I bought a used Schiit Asgard 2 off of eBay to replace it. John from JDS kindly replied to my email and said that I should replace both op-amps at the same time and monitor the temperature of the amp for a few minutes before connecting headphones to it.  Other than that, it should be fine.
New Posts  All Forums: