Posts by Airwolf

Sweet!
 Thanks for the reply.  I used to have a pair of Tritton AX Pro headphones, which had 4 discrete speakers per ear (front, center, rear, and sub).  The headphones only sounded good (relatively speaking) when using the external headphone amp/connector that it came with.  It only accepted surround using an optical SPDIF connector, so I was forced to use Dolby Digital Live for surround gaming.  After 4 different sound cards (Creative X-Fi, Creative Recon 3D, some Auzentech,...
  I used to have a pair of BD DT990 250 ohm headphones before I upgraded to the HE-400's.  I found that even though the sound card I am using is rated up to 600 ohms on the headphone output, low notes were getting are muddled up and crappy.  Adding a JDS O2 made a huge difference in the quality of the bass from the 990's, but didn't make much of a difference loudness wise.  I have not had any problems volume wise with the HE-400's, but I did notice that the bass was also...
I am currently using a Sound Blaster Recon 3D Fatal1ty Professional card outputting via the amplified headphone jack to a Schiit Adgard 2 amplifier.  I have a set of HiFiMAN HE-400 headphones with focus pads connected to the Asgard 2.  I would say I spend about 80% of my time on my PC playing games (TF2, Payday 2, Battlefield 4, or some other FPS du jour) and the other 20% divided between watching movies/TV shows and listening to chill trance and chill-step.  I am a little...
 From what I have been told, it is because my HE-400's were doubling the output current specifications of the op-amps.  I bought a used Schiit Asgard 2 off of eBay to replace it. John from JDS kindly replied to my email and said that I should replace both op-amps at the same time and monitor the temperature of the amp for a few minutes before connecting headphones to it.  Other than that, it should be fine.
 I don't think so.  I won't have much use for it, honestly.
 Will do. As of right now, I am looking into finding a new amp.  Most likely a used Schiit Asgard 2.
 I actually never turned the volume up over about 50% on the amp and have my volume in Windows 7 set to 40%.  I keep the volume pretty reasonable.  At the time, the amp was on and connected to my computer, but my computer had been idle for probably 12 hours before the op-amp exploded.
I am looking for a used Schiit Asgard 2.
I emailed Schiit and they said any of their amps should be able to handle this load and specifically said that the specs mentioned are "a trivial requirement for non-op-amp output stages."   I guess I'm in the market for a Asgard 2...