Posts by jazzman7

It is interesting that you say this -- I have not tested the microStreamer with and without additional battery power, but I suspect that the limits of the iPhone power supply could affect the output stages of a DAC/amp in terms of its amplification performance.  It is clearly the case that the CCK/Lightning-to-USB does not provide full current to the USB spec; otherwise there wouldn't be the "too much power" message in the first place.  I also doubt that the...
The double-stick tape for the ear cushions is a nice discovery, as is the model of the replacement battery (Sanyo 553436), which looks to be a standard LIon camera battery.  I'm sure it will help me when the battery on my unit dies.  Nice job!
AFAIK, the HA-1 was never intended to be a media player like their BD players, only a DAC/amp.  Source playback comes from somewhere else.     I have an Oppo BDP-83 player, and the media interface uses an video-out-based on-screen display.  Since the HA-1 has no video out circuitry, putting media playback would necessitate using the LCD display on the unit as the on-screen display.  Odd, but maybe it could be done via a firmware update?  Even if they did, though, it...
Congrats, shotgunshane!  Thanks to beyerdynamic for the opportunity.  
Take a look at this.  Page 15 is the Pico Amp and Page 21 (last page) is the Pico Power.   The Power does not have the DAC, and the DAC on the Pico Amp is optional (I think Tyll tested the amp only version).  http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AllAmpsJuly2013.pdf
I vote for Equalizer by Audioforge, but only if you are willing to tweak its parametric EQ settings for each headphone you own. I keep headphone-specific presets handy.     The ability to import and export equalizer settings in the Audioforge app via email is very cool as well. I've emailed myself all the EQs I've got and can reload them onto another device easily.     The developer of Equalizer recently updated  to high-quality processing similar to the HQ setting in...
I recently bought the 125i.  When I compared it to the 60 and 80i, I found the 125i to sound less grainy than either of its less expensive brethren.  I did not look at the 225i because I prefer the Comfy pads, and I did not want to go through the hassle of paying more for the 225i and then having to get the Comfy pads as an add-on.  I also didn't want to go up to the 325i and get a metal build (although more durable, metal is also heavier).     After bending the headband...
The DIY project in my mind is to forget about pumping high quality sound through the ANC circuit and focus on making the best active isolating earmuffs one could make.  The Alpha Dog is a good start because it isolates the high frequencies of the outside world so well -- ANC is only effective at low frequencies due to physical wavelengths, and usually below 500Hz.  Although I like ANC and use it when I fly at times, I think it is a bit at odds with high fidelity sound in...
I'm happy to see Tyll's measurements on these.  I'm curious which setup this one corresponds to (most likely one disc).   I've compared Tyll's frequency response of the Alpha Dog to some other measurements in his database and find that the Alpha Dog's matches that of the pre-fazor LCD-2v2 quite closely except for the very extremes.  The Alpha Dog has a bit more mid- and sub-bass (+4dB or so), and the Alpha Dog rolls off after 10kHz -- these are the two main differences....
I'm pretty sure it is one of these: http://www.head-fi.org/products/headamp-pico-power-portable-headphone-amplifier