Posts by Appleby

Thanks, those are great suggestions!  I ended up going with this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251199841935  It hasn't arrived yet, so I can't offer any information as to whether it works.
Apologies for resurrecting this ancient thread, but I too am looking for a 3.5mm male-to-male interconnect (~6 ft), albeit in the $10 range.  I normally buy from Monoprice, but their 3.5mm cables appear to actually be unusable, based on reviews.  I respect the wooly world of high-end cabling, but this is for a PC system for a non-audiophile family member, so I don't want to spend an arm and a leg.  Is anyone aware of a cable that might work for me?  Thanks!
They did not ask me to upgrade their system, and there is always the possibility they won't care for the results:)  But my dad does enjoy his classical music, goes to concerts, listens to CDs in the evening--and I believe this is the only system he's ever had, other than a standalone turntable, and radio before that.  So I thought it might be worth a go.  Worst case scenario, I can always swap it back.   The NAD c320bee looks like an excellent piece of equipment, but...
Thanks!  I used your suggestions as a starting point, and dove into the numerous receiver threads.  Since my parents have a turntable (despite its infrequent use), I think a phono stage is necessary.  That rules out a lot of the more recent offerings.  Since only stereo sound is needed, a lot of the cool vintage stuff (Sansui!) would be nice--but I'm ruling that out too, for maintenance reasons.  Right now my list is: Yamaha R-S300/R-S500/R-S700 or (at a good price)...
Thanks, that's good info!
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know.  I had actually been looking at speakers, because the consensus seems to be that they're the most important part of the audio chain (and because I don't know anything about receivers).  I'd been thinking about a pair of used Tekton M-Lore's (at 34" they're only 4" taller than the current setup--which were purchased in '93, btw), but ran into the aforementioned aesthetics problem.  Your suggestion to buy a used receiver sounds...
Hi all,   I've got about $500 to spend, and was wondering if there's anything worth buying to upgrade my parents' (quite old) system.  They've got a Yamaha CDC-635 CD player running into a Yamaha RX-360 receiver/amp, and then to a large pair of Infinity speakers.  They're SM-series, though I can't discern the model number.  Looks like the SM-series has been heavily criticized, but they sound ok.  Aesthetics are important for the speakers, as they're also furniture,...