or Connect

Posts by Barry S

Thanks--wonder if I can find an electronics surplus store in Leningrad St. Petersburg? Haha--good to know which of your concubines are in favor at the moment. Thanks.
 Haha--not me--took too long. May have to wait for Smitty to meet someone nice, get engaged, and sell his off. Going to Russia for work soon--will look around when I get back.
Couldn't make it because I got sick this weekend--pretty sure no one wants a germy guy at a small head-fi meet. Thanks to everyone for posting your impressions.I missed the LCD-4? Damn!  Can't say I'm surprised by the group's reaction, but Audeze phones can be picky with amp pairings. LCD-2 bass can sound bloomy on some amps--wonder if that was the case withe LCD-4? The LCD-3 needs an amp that thins out the mids and drives the treble a bit. Otherwise, it can sound almost...
FS: Schiit Gungnir - Gen 2 USB - price drop! Like New Schiit Gungnir DAC with 2nd generation USB. I'm the original owner and have taken meticulous care of the Gungnir--from a non-smoking, no pet household. This unit is 115V  and doesn't include the multibit upgrade. Sounds and looks great--reason for sale is an upgrade to the Yggdrasil. SOLD, I will cover (US) paypal fees.
Cool--may stop by a for a short bit with nothing large or heavy!
Voted!
The library has wifi and some of use streaming services, including Tidal. We lug a lot of heavy gear--removing the tubes is a good idea. I always bring a cart and am happy to help transport from anyone's car to the meeting room. Congrats on the HD800S--would love to hear your impressions once you have it for a bit. It was a big hit at the meet and I'd love to add it to my stable.
Sorry I wasn't clear. My first point compares the the HD800S to HD800 and from the sentence starting with "Both...", I'm comparing the HD800S with the HE 1000. As for owning both, I think they're more alike than different. If you have the $$ though, why not own a couple of thoroughbreds--sheldaze is probably holding on to both.
Both cans have well-controlled extended bass. The bass on the HD800S comes forward compared to the HD800 --probably due to the tamed treble peak. It hit me as soon as I put them on and sheldaze suggested it was because of the smoother treble. That makes sense to me. Vocals/mid-range are very sweet on both phones. Both are very detailed without any grain. If I had to distill the choice between them to one factor--I'd say the HE 1000 is preferable if you like a little more...
Got a chance to audition the Yggy>Stratus>HD800S vs. the Yggy>Stratus>HE1000--both combinations sounded outstanding. Between the HD800S and HE1000, I prefer the HD800S, but would be happy with either. The HE1000 has a bit more treble energy and occasionally sounds over bright for my tastes--but nothing excessive. The Rag is the most transparent amp I've yet to hear, exposes a very slight glare with the HE1000, but the HD800S sounds perfectly tuned to me.