Posts by PleasantSounds

This logic is still missing one variable: the headphone. When you plug it in, it becomes part of the amp's circuit and affects its performance. If there was a clear standard in terms what electronic properties a headphone should have, then you could expect to consistently deliver the same experience, irrespective of what is plugged in. With varying headphone impedance and efficiency, amps have to work at different points of their characteristics to handle them. I doubt we...
 Why not the HD800? Seems to fit what you're looking for. Pairs very well with the WA7 too.
This topic probably belongs in the Computer Audio forum...   Try ripping other disks. If they play fine, then something is wrong with the CD or the way you ripped it, although I have yet to see how ripping can add noise to the output.   Check if the static appears always in the same spots or more random. If it appears always in exactly the same spots then there's a possibility it comes from the source, however it got there. Random would suggest that your Foobar buffer...
 So are you suggesting we should be listening to sine wave generators to avoid being biased by the music??? What else are you guys going to come up with to discredit a pretty solid experiment? I bet the next one is going to say it is not statistically representative because less than 1000 people took part in it.
 AES/EBU uses XLR connectors but this is a digital signal standard. Definitely not suitable for balanced analog signal.
 I was seriously considering the Source, but at the time there was very little info available regarding how it plays with other gear. When I went to audition it, my supplier was out of stock. In the end I went with the Hilo and am very pleased with its performance. 
 The path I have taken to become somewhat immune to DAC upgraditis was to put my bets on professional gear. Compared to your typical audiophile DAC this has the following benefits:- longer lifecycle, better support- usually much better reliability- this stuff is used in the music production cycle, so getting anything "better" hardly makes sense- no BS impacting the price- balanced I/O is a given, not something you pay double for A couple of examples that belong in this...
 Picking a neutral DAC is a bit more complex than just examining the frequency response chart. Most DACs these days have very flat FR, yet they sound different. Other parameters that impact the sound quality are either difficult to measure or just not provided, i.e. dynamics, resolution, detail level, phase response across the frequency range, jitter, etc. Price is not necessarily a good indicator of how well these parameters have been managed. The downstream gear...
 I was thinking along the same lines, but in the end it's the amp that creates the voltage and impedance is only a measure of how much current will be drawn. So higher impedance = less power, yet we hear amplified sound in that range... I think once we understand what is causing this impedance spike it may be easier to figure it out.I'm speculating here, but to me seems plausible that the impecance rasises around 100 Hz because in this frequency range the transducer...