or Connect

Posts by PleasantSounds

I have never used Subpac but it appears it has its own amp. You should be fine splitting SE signal from the DAC or using SE output from your amp if it has one and it can be used together with the balanced one. Otherwise you may need a separate preamp or something like that. But this path would be rather expensive...
Y-cable splitter is not a good idea. You may damage your amp by connecting a SE device to the balanced output.
There's quite a few ways to do it and the right tool may depend on what you feel comfortable with.  I would do this with EAC while ripping CDs or with foobar2000 which I use as a player. There's probably a hundred other programs that can do it, most of them free, and at least half of them would be easier to use. You can do your own search and download what you feel is suitable. Any of them should deliver the same quality - in the end that's the concept of lossless...
With the base version pot down to zero there's nothing leaking to my headphones (using -6dB gain, haven't checked at other settings). My DAC is set to 2V. 1.2V VU would be roughly equivalent to 1.8V peak, so these two may be actually the same value. I would rather set the gain on the amp to -12dB than lowering the DAC output, provided that the volume range is sufficient.  No need to worry about overloading the V281 inputs - if memory serves they can take up to +21dBu,...

That's actually a good thing - at least considering the battery life. The last few % of capacity have to be charged with much smaller current to avoid damaging the battery. The discharge of course happens always at the same rate.
 That's not surprising - the law of diminishing returns does its job in this price range.Just curious: have you heard any SS amp that would be *much* better that your mid-range gear?
They all do. Digital input always requires a DAC if the output is analog. Manufacturers of consumer goods rarely mention DACs in the specs as this only confuses most of the users.  All these devices use the same S/PDIF protocol, so there's no reason why it shouldn't work. In fact one of my old DACs which was connected to my PC using Toslink is now used with a TV - again using the same Toslink. 
In all the stated cases conversion to analog would take place in the amp - they all must have onboard DACs. Toslink carries digital signal, so it has to be converted to analog by the receiver. The difference between USB and Toslink is an additional bus controller chip needed by USB, plus data clocking and buffering. In case of Toslink connection data is buffered on the sender side (your PC).   USB DAC may be able to handle higher data rates, as the official Toslink...
The importance of noise cancelling is not really related to further boosting sound quality. All it is about is reduction of the ambient noise – typically in very noisy environments like airplane or train. So it does improve (or partly restore) the sound quality, but only when it is adversely affected by external environment in the first place. It is important technology because it somewhat increases the size of headphone market – for example my wife doesn’t listen to...