or Connect

Posts by PleasantSounds

If you google for Non-Oversampling DAC (or NOS DAC) you'll find some info about the technology and the DACs that use it.   Unfortunately, the cheaper DACs tend to be of the oversampling kind. This would be similar with receivers and most of the preamps with digital inputs. 
I think your expectations or understanding of "bit perfect"  goes a bit too far. "Bit perfect" does not mean "perfect". This term just signifies that the digital signal travels unaltered from the source to the DAC's input, meaning no equalization or other DSP, no upsampling, no mixing with other digital signals etc.What happens inside the DAC is out of scope for the "bit perfect" term - the DAC does whatever it needs to do to convert the signal.   How close the "bit...
Firmware v.8 has just been released - available for download from the lynxstudio.com site. 
So you reckon when you listened to the HDtracks demo your connection was automagically extended to 24/96 or maybe DSD? Note that you have heard the improvement through the same DAC....   The reason the recording sounded better is not because of higher bandwidth (which you didn't have) but because of better mastering of that particular recording. If you can get the same mastering version in redbook format, you'll enjoy all the benefits without the price tag.   If you...
 I have the coax input version in mine and I would completely agree: for the price there's nothing wrong with this DAC card.On the other hand, the amp scales very well right up to the top of the ladder, so to do it justice you're looking at Yggy, M1, Pavane or something in that range.
 I have tried Mojo with the V281 but haven't done any direct comparisons with other DACs. The combo performed quite admirably with no issues whatsoever. 
You can use two headphones simultaneously and they don't need to be the same model - as long as you can deal with differences in loudness.
It's not bit perfect any more once you tweak the bits - and that's what the EQ would do...   Assuming you use Windows and your setup does not run through ASIO or WASAPI but uses the Windows sound support, your best bet would be the Equalizer APO - just google for it. It is a bit unusual as it's standard way to control the EQ settings is via a text file, but if that's too hard then there is a front end available for it called Peace. Both are free and available through...
Most studio monitors (including the Mackies) are designed as near-field, meaning they're built for close range listening. IMO they are fantastic as desktop speakers, but as @MindsMirror mentioned you have to build some infrastructure around them. Volume control is the main issue, but also switching them on and off may over time become a chore.  Before you get them make sure you know how they will function in your system - especially if the budget doesn't stretch any further.