Posts by PleasantSounds

You can do that and nothing should go up in smoke if you wire it carefully, but I wouldn't consider this a good solution for what you're trying to achieve.   The thing to worry about is how the two sets of speakers will interplay with each other in your room. Usually it's hard enough to get the acoustics of one pair working well, let alone two simultaneously.   Consider also that by adding a 2nd pair, when the amp outputs 75W per channel, each speaker would be handling...
 Thanks for that suggestion OJNeg. My USB buffer is already set to Safe/4096 samples. According to the Hilo manual, DSD requires 176.4 kHz sampling rate, so it is quite demanding. But with my current setup I can play 24/192 tracks and not a single glitch, while DSD has these micro-breaks that sound like sand sifting when the PC is under heavy load. 
I'm wondering what are others' experiences with DSD, especially using foobar2000. I got it going by trial and error, as I couldn't find any info on setting up f2k for Hilo. The sound is fantastic, but at rather high latency and sometimes gets interrupted by other processes.   If someone has a stable low latency setup, it would be great to hear about it!
I have done that and reported in the thread some time ago, but don't blame you for bringing it up again. In my case the range most affected was upper mids, but that may depend on the material used, size and shape of the dampening pads. I ended up using soft foam rings matching the size of the rings on the inside of the cup. Other things to try would be cotton pads, dynamat or felt.
The only drawback of increasing buffer size is that it may impact latency - i.e. with larger buffer the sound gets somewhat delayed. For listening it's usually not a big deal.
Not that I have experienced this particular issue, but I think I have a possible explanation: pops at the beginning of tracks may be related to the fact that while you're playing, the track is still loading.   Normally this should not be a problem, but if your music storage is on an external USB drive and your DAC is also connected via USB, then both may be competing for the same USB bandwidth. If that's the case, you may try pre-loading files to memory before playing (...
The DacMagic 100 is a much better DAC than the UCA202, and you won't be disappointed if you get it with the intent of further upgrading your sound. I'm just trying to caution you if you are hoping to solve the sound breakage issues by throwing money at it - that may not work. I had similar issues with a $2000 DAC which is a pro grade unit with async USB, DSD, and other features. What solved it in my case was stopping the file indexing service and replacing virus checker...
Async USB (or even just a different DAC) may fix the accumulating delay issue, but I don't think it is going to solve the buffer underruns problem. This suspicion is confirmed by your observation that 48kHz setting gives you worse results than 44.1: in case of 48kHz your PC has to send more data in the same time interval, so any interruptions will be more exposed. Another thing to try if you haven't done that yet is using different USB port and unplugging other USB...
Chances are the noises you are hearing may not be the DAC’s fault, and getting a better DAC may not fix the issue.   I would first make sure that the problem is not my computer. What you have described could as well be a result of your computer being too busy handling some other task, and “neglecting” the job of keeping your sound buffer full. Here’s a few things to try:   Increase buffer size in your media player Make sure your device drivers are up to...