Posts by takato14

I'm.. are you... what. The HD700 is a lot of things, but dark? 
Thanks for the input. Guess I should wait until I can try the TH900 before pulling the trigger on it, as the TH600 was one of the most confused sounding headphones I've ever owned... The MDR-Z7 was much nicer on this front. I just couldn't get over the bass/frequency response.
Have you heard the TH600? Do you think it performs similarly or equivalently in this regard?
honestly at that point I'd just say make a single well designed planar/stat instead...
I do. Claritas and I were actually talking about a GR meet recently... Perhaps I should start a thread. I'd love to share my gear with others who can actually appreciate it.
1: Sansui SS-100: Ortho HD600 with bass. Same general signature, better low and high end extension, better control, better transients. Cleaner; less grain/distortion. Airier. Less comfy. My favorite listening experience so far.   2: Pioneer Monitor 10-II (modded): Not much done to it yet, just some foam to eat up the enclosure resonances. Close to the SS-100, but less flat. Still some earcup resonation B/S. Equivalent distortion figures, better power handling. Bass...
Nice stuff.   I'm starting to mod my Monitor 10-II myself. After having them measured by Tyll Hertsens (check out that bass distortion and power handling ), I realized they have a ridiculously limiting enclosure that would just love some dampening.   I've crammed some foam rings from an ATH-3 around the drivers inside the cups and put foam inserts from an original Monitor 10 inside the baffle plate. This has reduced the earcup resonations by a signifcant margin. Next...
Not THAT surprising, the HD600 has less tonality problems than the HD800
They're supposed to have some type of analog crossfeed filter built in... unsure about the sound, but personally I wouldn't take the chance at that price. But yes, they are quite pretty.
I'd like to interject here... the lows of this headphone are not lacking in any way whatsoever. It's not gonna slam like an Audez'e, but every single bit of frequency content from DC to 200Hz is present, and very controlled and clear.I can only hear to 17ish kHz, so grain of salt yadda yadda, but the treble sounds much of the same. Relaxed, not aggressive, but all there and very refined. Though, Tyll's measurements of a modded Fostex T30 (which the SS-100 is very similar...