Posts by takato14

I sold the SA3000 a LONG time ago. It never really saw much use because I simply had gear that surpassed it already when I did own it. I only used it for gaming, when comfort was a priority, and once I needed money again it was gone.  Regarding the SA3000's different 300Hz, I suspect that to be due to the SA5000 having a less resonant enclosure, which is why I said I wanted to at least hear it before tearing it apart for a DIY project. I don't expect liking it any more...
It's most likely the earpads. The sound issue, that is. Are your pads leather or fabric/velour? If the latter, grab a Pioneer SE-(x)05 off eBay with good pads and you'll be set; they have the exact same pads. They usually go for cheap.   Additionally, I've been having some fit issues with my pair, particularly when I have my glasses on. I find I get a LOT more bass when I take them off. They're kind of hard to wear. I get the best results when the headband is around the...
I meant the SA5000's tonality was similar to Grados. I use CSDs all the time; I am well aware that the SA5000 has better waterfall plots than (most) Grado headphones.  The SA5000 IS the SA3000 with leather pads and a magnesium frame. They are literally completely the same save for the two differences I just noted. Don't believe me, check their measurements...
I've owned the SA3000, which uses the same drivers as the SA5000. The headphones measure almost identically, with the SA5000 having a tiny bit more bass. I do want to at least hear the SA5000, but I want it for the shell so I can use it for a DIY project. Because if the SA5000 did anything right, it was comfort and looks. With the SA3000 available (which regularly goes for <$150 mint in box), I can't possibly see where the SA5000 could be considered good for the money....
+1, "planar" magnets aren't a thing. Neodymium is the most powerful type of magnet we have right now. Most modern orthos use neo magnets.
The HD800 isn't hard to pair, it just scales wildly with better gear because of how clean and capable it is. The HD800 won't sound "bad" out of low end gear, but if you've heard it out of higher end gear the difference will be astronomical. The HD800 sounded great straight out of my portable player at a meet but sounded a good 30x better with the big Audio-GD SA-31 that was on the table. The SA5000 is just a bad headphone. I tried it out of the exact same amp (brought my...
Been a while since I posted here...   I now own all three of the DR-Z line, except the Z5 (which I sold due to it being obsoleted). The review I mentioned a while ago is still in progress; I lost a lot of it to a power outage so I've been slow when it comes to working on it.   However, I will say this much now: the Z7 is aeons ahead of either of the other two; its absolutely ridiculous how different all three of these headphones sound despite having the same driver...
Something current-oriented like the mini Schiit stack (Magni + Modi) would be great for the HE-400. An A1 clone (available on eBay) would probably be a good pairing too, but you'd still need a DAC. The Schiit stack is prettier and smaller, so I'd just go with that.
+1, the O2 is made for high impedance, high sensitivity loads.  However, if you listen to bass heavy music, I'd suggest the HE-400 before I suggested the DT880. Of course, the HE-400 is a planar, meaning the O2 won't be the best match for it. Not saying it'll sound bad, but it won't be as good as it has the potential to be. Given your current setup the DT880 600 ohm is a better choice, however it can be pretty bright at times so beware.
Geez, why so low on the HD590 for everything but gaming? Most people say its 98% of the HD600, just a little bit brighter... (I've been eyeing the 590s for a very long time so I'd like to hear your thoughts)