Posts by takato14

I'm pretty much positive the HD800 would absolutely loathe anything vintage that isn't a ******* Nakamichi Dragon or a Sansui AU-X1111MOS
The HD800 will slaughter the HD700 out of anything. The HD800 isn't as hard to drive as some would have you believe; it's just ridiculously transparent and can rip things apart like no other. It sounded damn fine out of my AudioQuest Dragonfly (v1) when I tried it at a meet. About as good as the enormous Audio-GD SA-31 that was sitting on the table next to the 'phones.
who cares
Sold.
Oh my god. Tyll. You have to measure this.
Maruni's headphones are always really pretty, I wish they were more common.   Wait no, I'm thinking of Maeden   They had a lot of really intriguing designs but they're all stupid rare
Need to thin the stables a bit.   I'm gonna miss these ones. These are the first headphone to ever use a titanium coated driver. In production sometime in the mid 80s, these were the flagship of Sterling's only headphone line.   These unassuming little cans have resolving capabilities far above their price range. Wonderful little soundstage with excellent imaging and very good detail. Big bass, upper end sparkle. Very fast and clean. Comfortable. Easy to drive. Check...
Need to thin the stables a bit.   These are the lowest end of Pioneer's piezoelectric headphone line. I have only confirmed the existence of three pairs, including this one, so when I say "extremely rare", I mean it.   I actually like these more than the SE-700, though not quite as much as my (modded) SE-500. Pretty flat and smooth, good transients, and a nice soundstage. Not comfy for long sessions. Pretty.   This pair is kind of beat up. The left channel headband...
Need to thin the stables a bit.   First, my Signet TK22. Signet was Audio-Technica's luxury line in North America. Sonically, these are identical to the ATH-5, with a nice dark brown + black color scheme. These are way better than people give them credit for. Much more refined than AT's modern low end gear, but a little bit bassy. Ridiculously comfortable (as one should expect).   Great shape, almost perfect. The suspension headband is slightly warped, and there is...
Yep... it's time to move on.   I purchased this headphone from a Norwegian seller approximately a year ago. He bought it new in 1978, used it a few times, and left it sitting in his closet for 40 years, untouched by time.   This is the fabric pad version. This headphone is almost entirely made of metal and is quite beautiful.  This particular example is almost flawless. There are three "issues" with this pair:   The original cable shorted out, and has been replaced...