or Connect

Posts by takato14

god I love that little headphone
what the ****
This is 100% true. After I saw tyll's measurements of the SS-100 I was kind of confused, almost enraged... bottom line was I did not believe them, not one bit. So here's what I did.  I started by replacing the stock "earpads" (really not much more than a tiny leather disc after all this time) with Shure SRH-550DJ pads. These are about the same size as the stock pads and have been modified slightly: the inner foam dust covers and outer leather mounting ring have been...
Literally ******* everyone buys them as their first foray into high end headphones so we end up with a massive amount of newbies constantly spewing noise about how amazing they are. Some of them, unfortunately, never grow out of this phase. To be fair, it took me two years with my M50 to realize how awful they were. I was happy with them for a while. But I was coming from this 1972 monstrosity, so... yeah. The moment I heard something better, they were never used again.
The hell?? Are you SURE that's an MDR-V7 driver? It's supposed to be a 50mm evaporated sapphire driver. Wrong size AND wrong material seems a bit far fetched... especially when the specs come straight from Sony.
Sold.
Why? More pad == more material to reflect off of == more pushed air. Are you sure you're not just experiencing more slam because of the increased distance between the ear and driver while a seal is mainained?
um the HD800 is more sensitive than the ER-4S and therefore needs less power for the same output level, but that's not the same as being hard to drive the HD800 has a massive impedance fluctuation at 100Hz, it reaches nearly 700 ohms at its peak, it needs a much better amp than the etys look at the impedance plot on tyll's measurements http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf
Yes. The exact same amount as the stock pads on the SS-100 and other T50 variants. (Thanks again, nick.)
Alright, removed the stock pads and sealed the shure pads to the baffle. Bass extension maintained, bass clarity increased. These are resolving ridiculously well throughout the entire frequency range now, and feel a lot less unpleasant on the ears. Bass doesn't hit as hard though... I could achieve more slam with different pads but I think I'm happy with this configuration. I could try tuning the driver looser, too... but that probably will cause clarity loss. In fact it...