Posts by takato14

Where the hell are you getting THAT from? They're a small company but they most certainly are not new. NAD has been around for ages, they have gear dating all the way back to the 1970s, maybe even earlier. They don't have a lot of gear but what gear they do have is all absurdly good.  I think the issue here is that people are confusing build quality with durability. I see them used interchangeably a lot and quite frankly it's entirely incorrect. For example, AKG headphones...
um, first off, the hell does "kid gloves" even mean, kids beat the ever living tar out of their stuff last I checked and headphones are precision pieces of equipment and should always be treated as such, and while I agree with the premise that something portable should be able to survive being dropped or smacked around a few times you should still be handling them with care at ALL times to make sure that NEVER happens.  not to mention that nearly every portable headphone...
Try Beyerdynamic EDT-231V pads. They're the same pads that are on the DT-235. They're not a perfect fit but they make them sound amazing.
We weren't talking about mixing, but now that you bring it up, hell no. The HD280 is slow, dark, distorted, and wobbly. You do NOT want to mix with that. If you want a good mixing headphone on a budget, you're pretty much S.O.L. There is a definite lack of truly neutral headphones on the market today, which makes mixing on a budget a nightmare. The AKG Q701 is the most neutral headphone anywhere near its price, but it's over 2x the price of the HD280, and anything below it...
Any of the old Audio Technica dynamics (ATH-3, ATH-4, ATH-5/Signet TK22, and ATH-6D) are all the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Featherlight, zero clamp force, softest pads ever, very breathable and open. All-day wearing from a supra-aural, and I really mean that. These are in fact more comfortable than the HD800, in my opinion.    Other than that, HD800, most AKGs, any modern high end Audio-Technica, etc are all super comfortable. 
Only planars? I've got a ****load of dynamics.   KOSS 4AAA + 4AAAT, 55mm mylar/titanium coated mylar, 250 ohm, functional pairs Sony DR-Z5 53mm mylar, 110 ohms, I THINK both work, one definitely does Sony DR-Z6, 53mm palladium-coated mylar, 110 ohms, one works, one might be fixable Audatron SH-608R (Fostex OEM), 55mm mylar, 32(?) ohms, functional pair Pioneer Monitor 10, 57mm mylar + foam suspension, 25 ohms, functional pair, would be interesting to work with KOSS...
Already sold anyways, I just forgot to update the listing. Doing that now, in fact.
After some playing around the sound seems to lose its "magic" when the drivers are transplanted into another shell, which is rather disappointing because my ATH-6D would've been a nice fit.    I tried adding a pair of cotton discs to the earcups to calm the bass down, but I was unfortunately met with mixed results. Bass is now in check, the heat is gone, and the high treble comes out of hiding. Impact is great, soundstage remains wonderful, but the sound gets thin, sort...
uhhh  so the WEE driven 009 is worse than the HD800, but the WES-driven 009 is better than the HD800? somehow I find that hard to believe, unless you're using a completely terrible speaker amp...
Bass impact is a direct function of driver excursion and bass extension. Amplitude has absolutely nothing to do with it whatsoever.  Have you even heard the TH600? Its bass is (measurably) very deep and very loud but its an absolute wuss when it comes to slam and power. My Z7 is treble-happy as hell and a lot less emphasized than the TH600 down low but it still manages to provide the most heavy and intense bass impact of all of my headphones and all of the headphones I've...