Posts by takato14

Yeah, two per driver. The mesh cup actually compresses them slightly too, whereas the RP18 has a solid ~1cm between the damping and the back of the cup. Also, God, every time I put this headphone on after work it just sounds so incredibly "right". So sweet and clear. I don't want to sound like I'm fanboying, but just... wow. It's been months and this headphone is still surprising me. The Z7 never did that... nothing has ever done that.
Just ordered one of these (ER-4PT). Needed a not-awful IEM and this one measured the best, so the rest is history. Impressions within the next week or so.
I actually just checked this myself. Based on what your picture shows, the T50 and T30 are indeed interchangeable, as that is the same frame as the RP18, but the SS-100's frame is completely different. Its thinner and has a lot of weird cutaways for mounting the earcups... the cups actually attach to the driver, which is then screwed into the baffle plate. Very smart, this keeps the driver dampened tightly. And damn, the SS-100 has literally twice as much damping as the...
? If anything the SS-100 driver housing is going to be smaller because of how it's whittled down to fit into the earcups. The T30 diaphragm and magnets are interchangeable with the T50 models. Someone put a T50 diaphragm into a T30 once. Can't remember where I saw that though...
Bought it for the looks. Fell in love with its sound immediately. The build quality is quite solid as well; tight tolerances, mostly machined metal, and no excessive moving parts to fail.  Also, that's not a play button, it's an arrow telling you which way the front of the headphone is, for putting it on your head. A bit counter-intuitive since the design is single-sided entry (which always enters into the left earcup), but it gives you something to grasp with your thumb...
Not identical, similar. Fostex likes to combine parts and materials from the T50 and T30. The SS-100 has the T50 diaphragm traces and the T30 magnets, and the T30 diaphragm material.   Top is the SS-100, bottom is the T50. The T30 uses mylar for its diaphragm, and the T50 uses kapton. The T30 magnets are one solid slotted ferrite disc while the T50 has individual bar magnets. I think the gaps between the magnets on the T50 accounts for the harshness I experienced from my...
... So good bass extension suddenly means not neutral? I'm confused. Please elaborate..?
Temporary ranking while my other schiit is away.   1: Pioneer SE-500: By far the best thing I have right now. Absurd clarity and soundstage depth, extremely good detail retrieval. Just too shallow down low and not comfortable enough to wear constantly.   2: Sony MDR-605 (mods): Baby MDR-F1. Very realistic soundstage, clean and clear, but can't be played loudly without causing awful grating upper mids.   3: Sansui SS-35 (Extreme modifications): New 50mm silk/wool...
uhh 600 grams is heavy 420 grams is heavy 350 is like HD800 territory, which is extremely comfortable (and not particularly heavy either)
wow   that would be their best looking headphone yet if the silver parts were going to be a quality matte metal (such as aluminum)   but we all know thats gonna be gloss el cheapo plastic