Posts by takato14

Is it pronounced "Word" or "Weird"?
Bump. Price drop.
Bump.
****   not ninja enough
The DT880 slaughters the X2 in everything but... well, not having a massive annoying treble peak. The X2 is probably a better choice for someone just starting with open backs because it's not as offensive. It also doesn't require a gigavolt amplifier. The AKG Q701 might be a good choice if you have the right amp. You need a bit more juice than the specs suggest to get it to 100%; try Asgard 2, Magni 2 Uber, maybe Vali. Avoid the Objective2 for this headphone. Btw, never...
Need an inexpensive donor shell for my next project. Needs to fit a 55 mm driver.   Angled drivers/lofted earpads helps, but is not necessary if the housing is large enough.   Currently looking at the Nady QH560, maybe a used/broken HD600, SA1/3/5000, MDR-MA1/300, ATH-ADx00.   Alibaba/other cheap chinese knockoff **** is welcome too.   Thanks.
nope   1: Sansui SS-100     2: Audez'e LCD-1   3: Toshiba HR-810 (mods)   4: Sony MDR-D77   5: KOSS PortaPro     6: Pioneer Monitor 10-II
It does have a rear vent, but there's so little room in the earcups that there's no room for damping. Well, there is, but it's about 2mm of clearance, and I found adding damping put too much strain on the enclosure for not enough gain.I'm making a pair of angled hybrid velour/pleather earpads for these as we speak. If those don't work, I'm gonna leave them as they are and try a transplant with the second pair I just nabbed off the 'bay. Thinking of a custom painted Nady...
1: Sansui SS-100 and Audez'e LCD-1: These two are tied for #1 place.  No, that's not a typo. The prototype of the LCD-2 with the super-duper 90's looking OEM chassis. They're about the same level overall, with the SS-100 being cleaner and more controlled sounding as well as more natural in frequency response, while the LCD-1 is slightly bright with a ridiculously tight, concise, fast sound. SS-100 has more detail and smoother mids. LCD-1 has a better soundstage and is much...
The SS-100 is perceptually flat to 20Hz, and possibly lower to me. Measurements of a modded T50 variant show Audez'e-level bass extension so I wouldn't be surprised. Not sure about the upper ranges but this is the only planar I've ever heard that doesn't sound dull, while also not being etched. Very smooth and airy. And this is stock, no modding required. My issue with every Yamaha I've tried is this persistent "low-fi" coloration to them, involving the loose, rolled off...