or Connect

Posts by takato14

measurably excellent treble extension is visible here and the cable measures in at 0.3 ohms on each terminal, which is below the threshold for affecting sound. I've tried new cables and they were uglier, less durable, and did not affect the sound at all.
Alright, here's a more detailed measurement sheet. The pleather pads sound the best to me so for the sake of my sanity (and TL;DR) I'm only going to talk about that configuration. Note: I've also made some final adjustments and retook measurements being more careful with my normalization and noise floor. The only thing that changed is there is now a circle of felt put under the rug liner as well. First, here's a couple quick metrics to compare these to. These are the...
Yeah here's a quick FR comparo against stock HD650 (green trace):  Mostly the same, middle midrange possibly a bit less sucked out than the 650, a bit less dip at 5-10kHz and a bit more measurement artifact at 4kHz but otherwise pretty damn close. Worth noting, 5kHz is the "ortho wall" on this pair so the measurements around this area can be a bit iffy, usually in the form of a dip followed by a sharp peak immediately afterwards (as we see here).I'll do some more in-depth...
  Form, meet function.     I call this frankenphone the Fostex T50-II.          It's a Fostex TH#00 headphone frame, one I cannibalized from a used TH500RP, with the original T50 series earcups and drivers from a NAD RP18 Mylar.   The cable is from a Yamaha YH-1, but it came on the NADs when I got it. Shout outs to @Kabeer for that! It actually matches the aesthetic of the headphone very well and I'm glad I didn't have to recycle that awful TH500RP...
here we ******* go boys   1: HiFiMAN HE-6 2: NAD RP18 Mylar 3: Sansui SS-100 4: Pioneer Monitor 10-II   Just finished mods on the mylar NADs after weeks (if not months) of sitting in a box. They strike a pleasing middle ground between the Sansui (tonality) and HE-6 (accuracy) that is so far very addicting. Its also more comfortable than either as it's using pads and a headband from a Fostex TH600. I'm really excited to go into more detail on this headphone but alas,...
Yes, yes, and more yes. These pads sound insane on the RP18. If the stock headband wasn't ****, I'dve just slapped these pads on over the stock pads and been done with it.
That wasn't just me, then. I had to use the stock headband at max size with bigger pads.
1: HiFiMAN HE-6 (mods): Absolutely decimates everything below it in technical prowess and accuracy -- and I do mean decimates it. A little rough and unpleasant in the treble, otherwise very smooth. Relatively neutral, maybe slightly dark. Extremely large and heavy, but comfortable with the new earpads. 2: Sansui SS-100 (mods): Buttery smooth and immersive. Intimate and flat from bass to treble. Presents sound in a 2-dimensional, yet very well separated manner. Very...
Selling these for my mate. He bought them a few months ago but has decided that he cannot justify keeping them with his current stable. They are very very lightly used -- basically brand new.   These are easily the best recommendation I could give for a quiet all-day listener -- these headphones sound very relaxed and cozy without sacrificing resolution or spaciousness. Very unique sound signature that's extremely easy-listening and satisfying and some of the best...
turns out I derped, my drivers are labeled "TH05" and I thought this was a model number of one of Fostex's headphones I was thinking of the TH-5B (which has 30mm mylar drivers so not even close) I may be more tired than I initially thought...