Posts by takato14

The driver tech has some interesting merits to say the least. For some reason, one that I cannot explain, the ESS Mark 1 somehow manages accurate phase; they actually sound like speakers in regards to imaging and soundstaging. No joke. This coupled with extremely good resolution, dynamics, and separation makes them very revealing of bad mastering, and the treble is the smoothest I've ever heard bar none, neither dynamics nor planars or even stats are even in the same tier...
Stock damping included?
I'm just gonna leave this here...    
1: Sansui SS-100 (mods) 2: ESS MARK 1 AIR MOTION TRANSFORMER (mods) 3: Sennheiser HD800SDR
It is very easy to find a "good" vintage headphone, as most designs use very thick membranes and thus will have much lower distortion than most modern offerings, especially when played loud. The build quality is also almost exclusively better than modern offerings -- there's a reason these things are still working today. The problem is finding a "great" vintage -- that is to say, one without any outstanding flaws.     For example, lets take a look at the Monitor 10....
The thing is, the YH-5M was VERY expensive and never left Japan. It also suffered numerous problems the other Yamahas did not suffer from, particularly issues with the treble and transient response. The diaphragm was simply too thick for something so small. There's also the fact that the yamaha orthos are pretty insensitive compared to the dynamics of the time period. Walkmans did not have very much output power.    http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/YamahaYH5M.pdf
What happened to the other driver?h
Lyr will not make them sing, it will make them explode. Lyr is voltage-driven, not current-driven. Even a lowly Asgard can blow up a Pioneer piezo. You need a speaker amp and a JB-21 to drive these ideally and to keep the voltage choked to a safe level.   I can get 95dB out of a Geek Out with both of my SE-500s. You should contact whoever you bought them from and ask for a refund.   If you can't, try applying some kinetic shock to the housing. Nothing major, just knock...
Got lucky on eBay last week:     Audio-Technica ATH-8     This model is equivalent to the Signet TK-33 and comes with its own custom energizer that runs off of speaker taps. Frequently this set shows up as "for parts/not working" due to a cable short at the connector. Fortunately, the connector is very easy to disassemble and work on, making this a <10 minute fix. I worked on these while watching YGOTAS with a friend and was finished within one episode.    This...
I could see the Z6 being called neutral to a point, kinda, but the lack of any meaningful response above 4kHz really makes them sound dark. The bass isn't exactly clean either, pretty thick sounding due to high distortion.That being said I do recall them sounding somewhat dark-bright and unpleasant due to the 2kHz bump when trying to turn them up while jamming out. *shrug*   I strongly dislike the harman target personally so that explains that I guess. Never heard a...