Posts by takato14

Yeah no.
Only if its mint condition. 
Egh. Bump.
Yeah, what I hear from the 10-II is definitely not a frown/midcentric FR, its almost a completely flat line from sub bass to high treble, though the upper mids occasionally sound a bit uneven (not rough though, still smooth as butter) and the bass only has weight when the track has <25Hz content so it'll probably sound bright to most.  This isn't out of a "reference-grade" amp though so I expect the FR issues will vanish when I feed it a good source (like the O2/ODAC...
Hm, I have noticed that the 10-II sometimes lacks impact, but that's source-dependent so I don't think it's what you're describing about the SE-450 when you say "flat". I've never even desired to take an EQ to the 10-II either; these things just do everything, the treble is downright glorious, the mids are smooth as butter, and the bass hits HARD when it's in the track (and as mentioned earlier, not at all when it's not). And yeah, Pioneers monitor drivers have absurd max...
TOTL dynamic model in 1977 that verbose and specific enough for you
Except KOSS's new versions of their headphones have completely redesigned drivers that don't sound anything like their vintage counterparts. Not to mention that even Koss's TOTL vintage model (PRO/4AAA) isn't anywhere near the Z7 or 10-II (or the HD800 for that matter lol). I would however say that a properly rewired and redampened series 2 4AAA is easily better than the HD600 and HD650 though. Very wide and deep staging with good detail and a pleasant, warm...
I've had a lingering suspicion that the Monitor 10-II is slow (or "lo-fi", as you put it) for a while, but the more I listen to it the less I am inclined to believe that.  The headphones just seem to sort of disappear; real instruments sound real and nothing bleeds into anything else, I don't hear an attack speed, or a decay speed, I hear the instrument in a space around my head.  Additionally, the diaphragm in these is absolutely absurdly responsive; I can see it move...
Didn't check. Thanks for the clarification, and for posting the formula as I wasn't able to find it. That's much less troublesome.
Yeah no. I doubt you've even heard any of the pre-2000s era flagships. The 1980s - 1990s were some of the best years in headphone audio.  I prefer my Sony DR-Z7 (1978) and Pioneer Monitor 10-II (1985) to the HD800 by a significant margin. The Z7 is faster and tighter while the 10-II is much cleaner, well extended, and more neutral. I have done direct A/B comparisons between these three headphones; a close friend of mine recently bought an HD800 and lent it to me for a...