or Connect

Posts by takato14

Back in the 1970s, AKG released two different headphones under the same model number, dubbed the K270 Studio and the K270 Playback respectably. According to AKG, the Studio was intended for (predictably) mixing and mastering work, and the Playback was intended for the home listener. An intriguing concept to say the very least, using the same headphone in the studio to produce the music as the one used to listen to it at home, but with one model tuned to be more...
Unfortunately, this is the only the second vintage AKG I've messed with, and the first was the sextett (which I hated). I will say that these have the characteristic AKG midrange with some slamming, taut bass and amazing soundstage and imaging for a closed headphone. Very engaging and pleasant. Tapping my foot to 'em right now! The Studio cannot compare, and "janky" would be a good word for how they sound -- perhaps more similarities between the two than meets the eye. I...
Don't do it man! The stock pads will sound the best.
Some turbulence...   1: Sennheiser HD800 SuperDupont 2: Sansui SS-100 (mods) 3: NAD RP18 Bass light (mods) 4: AKG K270 Playback (stock) 5: Pioneer Monitor 10-II (mods) 6: Sony DR-Z7 (stock) 7: Koss PRO/4AAA (mods) 8: AKG K270 Studio (stock)
    AKG K270 Studio and Playback.   Both are shockingly competent, especially for their age and odd design, but holy hell the Playback is incredible. Very pleasantly surprised with them. Definite keepers.   Measurements and detailed information for both will be posted soon! ~W.
I made a mistake. I listened to these again.   They're staying. Classified closed.
bump...
takato.exe has stopped working. Would you like to send an error report?
bump
I do not like the look of that headphone's driver. The voice coil looks quite small for such a large surface area and the magnetic circuit seems extremely lackluster. Of course, its not possible to see minute details such as voice coil distancing and magnetization pattern from a picture, but I really don't like how little magnet I'm seeing in there. I'd love to see Sony put out another statement-level headphone, but for now I'm betting this will be a marginally, if at all...