Posts by ch96066

I have a relatively 'young' system (less than 100 hours played). Having been bitten/beaten by the improvement 'bug' and reading mostly good things about the SBH, I went ahead and bought it.   To *my* ear it has brought something into the sound. I *think* it is for the better. But what is it?   Overall I perceive it to be (I am quoting the OP. I am not quoting the last part of the passage simply because I probably can't discern these qualities in music (yet?).)     I have...
Writing as I am listening to the E11 at the scenario low V / HG /EQ 0. I think I will give this setting some time to grow on me. The result vs the high V / Low G / EQ 1 is better tracking, seperation and an airier feeling overall. I am working on the iPod EQs to see what sounds better (to me). Piano seems to be doing the trick (for now).
Let me add first that indeed this is a very readable and down to earth review. In a lot of points I cought myself thinking 'I couldn't have said that better my self'.   I recently got my E11 reading the overwhelmingly good things about it. I battled it out with E7. I already had E5. Basically my decision was to go for the portability of E5 with my KSC75's and the power of the E11 with my (to arrive soon hopefully) 668Bs for home listening.   I subscribe 100% on...
1st & 2nd pic is my most portable setup. Bluetooth connection through a simple receiver.   3rd pic my portable at home setup (meaning no pc soundcard used)      
Attempted it on my ksc75's.   Using JRivers parametric equaliser. Results below.   Sounds somewhat muffled, but definitely easier on the ears. I will play around a bit to see the outcomes of different parameters.   Electri-Q format not suppported and I can't get NWEQ to customise.   Many thanks to the original poster!  
Bigshot, thank you for the clarification on the 'flattening' approach to remove as much colouration as possible. So what you are saying, if I read it correctly, is not about EQing the music, but about 'neutralising' the headphones prior to listening anything.   Any hands on tutorial on how to do that? Would this be the way?   http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
On the amplification part (being less intrusive on the original sound) I understand it more, I think, than EQ. My question about EQ is this.   If the sound editor/mixer has already EQed the sound to the point that the artist is happy with the overall outcome, what are we actually trying to correct? The obstacles/alterations that our equipment has brought in the mix? And if so how do we actually lessen these obstacles? Is it through better or even perhaps less...
This is my first post. I would like to say hi to everyone here who make head-fi a very useful fountain of knowledge.   I am newbie in sound appreciation. I am trying to ascertain/understand what is the purpose of our endeavour. I realise that to its core it has to do something with music appreciation and elevating through sound.   If this is the goal, is then the strategy to try and bring/capture in our ears what the artist created in the closest possible...