Posts by rsbrsvp

I actually don't use the volume control of the Master 9. I set it to the maximum volume I would want and then I use a passive preamp called Tortuga Audio LDR 1.  It gives me 70 steps within whatever I set as the maximum volume on the Master 9.    For example- if I set the Master 9 to 60 in high power or 55 in low power (which is about all I need for the LA900) - I will have that divided into 70 steps on the Tortuga.   The Tortuga passive also creates a meatier sound which...
I did.   It is - along with the Sony R10 the best headphone I have ever heard- to my tastes.    I got the full level three mod. and listen in balanced mode with a Master 9 amplifier and a Ultrafi's latest DAC. As a reference- I have owned all the reference Staxes, HE90, HE60, Qualia, R10, LCD-3, HE-6, ATH-W3000ANV,    and maybe a few others I do not remember. I have however always liked the R10 style sound and the LA900 are the MOST similar in presentation and style to the...
I use a $600 USB dac made by ultra-fi.  It has no name.  You need to contact them if you want one.
The Master 9 with the LA-900 and HE-6 modded are simply the most musical combo I ever heard in headphones- and yes I owned a BHSE and SR-009 and SR-007, HE90, HE60, Qualia, R10, LCD-3,  etc.....   The transparency, detail and dynamics of these headphones with the Master 9 is incredible.  The soundstage when using "Fidelia FHX crossfeed" from my Mac is GARGANTUAN.  The tonality is FULL and pleasant on the ears.  If I did not feel the pressure of the headphones on my ears...
After reading a lot about the discomfort of the HE-6, I must say with the pleather pads- it is extremely comfortable- more the the LCD-3 with leather pads by good margin- and feels lighter as well.     Right now, the LA-900 and modded HE-6 are the best headphones to my tastes I have ever heard along with the discontinued R10.  And- yes- I am including electrostats in this statement.
No complaints--- just wondering if anyone ever tried a silver cable.  Silver really opens up the LCD-3.
I was wondering if anyone ever tried the HE-6 with a silver cable.   To my ears- it is not open and transparent enough with the copper hardwire.   I can't believe all the talk about thin and bright - and now I finally test it and it is to my ears to full.   By the way- after one day of use I must say I do not agree with the electrostat comparisons.   I owned A BHSE ad SR-009 and SR-007 for years.  Totally different sound.  The HE-6 is so full and meaty- with less...
How do I do that?  Are there instructions with pics to explain somewhere?   I am not very technical minded.
Just got an HE-6 with vegan pads, hardwired cable, and felt mod.   This is the first time I ever heard it.   I am using it with a Master 9.   After months of reading posts on the debate of the HE-6 being bright, thin, etc. or not;-    my ears detect none of those issues.  This headphone is so so smooth and full sounding.  Not bright in the least bit.   This may be the most neutral headphone I have heard to date.  It has all the smoothness of the Audeze phones without the...
From what I understand- Mark has done lots of experimentation with cups over the years.  The TH-900 cups are beautiful, but the LA-900 ones are twice the size.   I would imagine cup size, wood type and wood thickness, maybe even the shape of the cups all effect sonics.   The soundstage on the LA-900 level 3 mod. is huge and extremely natural sounding.