Posts by The Fed

I just wanted to chime in on this thread as I've been researching integrated amps to drive a new pair of Zu Omens but wanted something that could work with speakers and headphones. My criteria for my search has been.    A. At least 20 watts B. Tubes C. Tube connected headphone out.   Rogue Audio gears looks sweet but all the units I tested use a PCB mounted Opamp for the headphone driver.... I want to tap tubes directly. I found that out about Rogue while auditioning...
And Purple Angel is right...... An NAD receiver probably has a lot more current on tap through its headphone jack (which is just the speaker amp padded down by resistors) than a good many dedicated headphone amps that are just going to give you a little opamp based gain circuit in a fancy metal box.   HD650's are 300 ohm cans so they are pretty resistant to poor damping..... I'd think the NAD would do pretty damn good.
Hey Roger your audio pre out #3 (in/ out) is the way to go.   That is a line level output signal that has not run through the amplifier circuit yet..... If you opt for a desktop type amp you would just connect the two with RCA to RCA.... If you go with a portable amp then you can get an RCA to mini cable that way the headphone amp receives a line level signal and its volume is independent of the receivers. So both could be running at the same time and work independent of...
I usually use a Rega DAC but also had a Firestone Spitfire for a long time that sounded pretty awesome too. I tried using the DAC in my Pure i20 dock but after using the Rega for so long it sounded pretty digital. As far as headphones.... Right now Audeze LCD2's and also used Hifiman HE400's for awhile... This amp sounds stunning with Planars... Also have used Denon D5k's, JVC DX700, Fidelio X1's and Senn HD650's. All sounded full bodied and amazing. Also had Grado 326's...
Here is my main shop rig. 2 Sansui Integrated Amps, a Violectric Headamp, a Rega DAC with a W4S converter and LCD-2's Sources are a HP Envy Laptop running JRiver and an iPad running Equalizer Pro on a Pure i20 Dock.   And my wife wonders why I am always at the office....    That said, this wouldn't be a walk in the park review for the Burson. It would have to prove its worth in this setup. The Rega/ Violectric combo is roughly on par price wise.... The Sansui likely...
For Sale is a Violectric V100 Solid State headphone amplifier that I purchased end of last year. It still has 1 year plus left on two year warranty.I paid $700 + for it last year when Euro/ USD conversion rates were a bit better.  The amplifier is in PERFECT condition. Amp has only been used on my desk at work. Well cared for. I use it for maybe an hour a day so with burn in maybe 150 hours of use. Amp is mint. Comes with users manual and power cable and will be packed in...
Touche! Techboy, the Lyr does do 4 watts at 50 ohms. Plenty of power for the planars.   I wasn't necessarily speaking in absolute terms... only Sith Lords do that!   In terms of the Lake People units though.... I think they offer premium quality and outstanding sound for orthos... and I think they are a smarter investment... for a gear roller. In regard to the Lyr.... I think Schiit products are a but diluted... too much inventory on the street and typically at...
In regard to Mad Dogs... I've never owned Mad Dogs but have had Hifiman HE400's and right now use LCD2's and the Lake People low output high current design really yields some fantastic results with planars.   I honestly think they may have one of the best line ups for planar phones out there.... The G109 kicks 2300mw into a 50 ohm load.... that is hard to beat under $1000 let alone for $450.
Just thought I'd chime in. I used to have the V90 (which size and price wise is comparable to the G109..... It was really good with the Denon D5K and JVC DX700.   Denon's don't need a lot of power but the Lake People/ Violectric amps kick a lot of current into 32 through 50 ohm loads so they get a really firm grip on Denon drivers.... really firm.   Bass is pretty much epic.... I never understood peoples claims about "boomy" bass.... I think that has alot to do...
For Sale is my Fidelio X-1. I actually really like this headphone and prefer it to both the Hifiman HE-400 and the Sennheiser HD-650 since it has such a warm full bodied sound to it but I've got to generate some cash for family needs and I've decided to hold onto the LCD2 over this.   Headphone only has about 50 or 60 hours on it, purchased new about 4 or 5 months ago from Amazon. Has been sitting on a headphone stand in my office the entire time so is in perfect...