or Connect

Posts by The Fed

I know. And I completely understand that it's an unfair comparison to stack a portable amp no matter what model it may be, against desktop units that MSRP out the door for $1300 and $2900 respectively.   I was just trying to add a counterweight because a couple people specifically asked about "what amp should I buy?" and I wanted to throw another viewpoint out there. Since the Elear itself probably isn't going to spend much time out and about in the world, a desktop rig...
I listened to the Mojo with my iPhone last night via of friend of mine in Lakewood. I don't disagree that is has enough output power to play the Elear loud and the DAC is definitely superior to the iDSD, but I still hold to my original position. The Elear sounds good with it, just like it sounds good with the C5. But stacked against a full size amp like the Stello HP100 it sounds noticeably thinner. Not nearly as bad as the iDSD but stil... I'm sure I'll get more...
I tend to think so. Like the Mojo, I've not heard the Elear with the the QP1R, but the QP1R is pretty obviously designed for easier loads direct from its headphone socket.   It won't sound bad per se.... It just won't sound anywhere near as good as it could.            
I was listening to the Elear last night for about 4 hours with the C5 (dac version) and it sounds pretty good with the bass boost switch engaged. Without the bass switch engaged the sound is fairly lean compared to what the Elear sounds like out of a full sized amp. I think that is something people need to be aware of with this headphone. Focal's design intent is/ was very clearly for home use, through full sized equipment. No 3.5mm adapter, a massive cord, no travel case,...
Yeah my Luxman amp is a tube amp and the Elear sounds absolutely glorious through that thing. Good to know I am not crazy.My Stello (Solid State) sounds a bit thin when connected direct but adds a good helping of body and that dynamic richness back when I use the analog filter. Maybe falls just short of what I hear on the Luxman deck. I don't think I've ever seen a headphone that is so sensitive to upstream components.I don't think even the HD800 is.... The HD800 is more...
I know right?I am pretty stunned by Elear.... The Utopia must really be something special if it is a significant improvement over the Elear.
You know I just hooked up the iDSD to handle USB to SPDIF duty to feed my other dac which feeds the Luxman rig, so I could switch between the Luxman and iDSD and the difference is really something. The iDSD really sucks all the life out of it.   I wonder if because the Focal driver has the ability to perform relatively long excursions (by headphone driver standards), if amplifiers with too low of output impedance end up overdamping the driver and hamstringing it in some...
I just got back into the office yesterday after a extended weekend vacation and lo and behold what was waiting on my desk but a box from Headroom with a Focal Elear inside.   Out of the box, the Elear actually shares a lot of qualities with the T1.... A slider/ pivot mechanism built into the headband, an anodized aluminum yoke, microfiber pads, angled driver, mesh cup, plastic housing. Even the position of the driver in relation to the pads and housing is...
Good impressions.... Glad to hear that you think the Elear trumps the T1 in the sonic dept. I've never been completely satisfied with the build quality on the T1... Always felt that the suspension system, headband/ slider mechanism was a bit lacking in the durability dept. The Elear looks to be a more robust long term solution. If you're saying it sounds better than the T1 as well... damn!Come the #$%^ on Headroom!Send me my tracking number already!
And that is often where a lot of the money gets spent that can't be easily quantified.... Down to the quality of the PCB... number of layers and thickness of traces, grade of resistors and capacitors, premium or custom wound transformers etc... Sony doesn't pull punches on flagships (IMHO). I tend to think that the 'everlast build' factor can get lost sometimes when the market is constantly rattling consumer cages to "upgrade, upgrade update!"