Posts by The Fed

Hey Joseph, There is always a filter built into 99% of DACS. It's not like an analog filter that filters audio bandwidth. They are filters designed into the actual DAC chip itself by Sabre or Texas Instruments or in this case Wolfson. Otherwise you would end up with ultrasonic noise going into the analog domain and subsequently being amplified (not a good thing). Different chips offer different filters... Sabre's 9018 reference class chip uses an oversampling filter. AKM...
For sale is an ALO Audio The National that I bought late 2012.It has been my Mr. Reliable portable unit and works well with most all of my headphones. It has plenty of headroom for Sennheiser HD650/ 600 and sounded very good with HD700.It plays very well with lower impedance cans. The Denon D5k and JVC DX700 sound amazing with the National. I also used it alot with my Ultrasone Pro900's etc.... and it provides a nice power boost to current hungry planars like LCD2 and...
For sale is my Wyred for Sound uLink that I purchased from Gary at Affordable Audio back in early 2013.It will come in original box with included W4S ASIO drivers disk for Windows. uLink is bus powered from USB and includes Toslink, BNC and Coaxial outputs. Outboard power is available from W4S but I never saw a need myself. It is worth mentioning that you can utilize all 3 outputs simultaneously to either send signal to multiple DACS or run all 3 connection types to your...
For sale is a Rega DA/ Converter that I purchased a bit over a year ago for my main rig. It ended up being used extensively in my Headfi listening and has maybe a couple hundred hours logged with my LCD2's. It will ship with all original accesories, box & manual.    It is a tremendously analog sounding DAC and an excellent Delta Sigma implementation. It quickly took the top spot in my system and supplanted my Phillips DAC 960 that runs a legendary TDA1541A...
I just wanted to chime in on this thread as I've been researching integrated amps to drive a new pair of Zu Omens but wanted something that could work with speakers and headphones. My criteria for my search has been.    A. At least 20 watts B. Tubes C. Tube connected headphone out.   Rogue Audio gears looks sweet but all the units I tested use a PCB mounted Opamp for the headphone driver.... I want to tap tubes directly. I found that out about Rogue while auditioning...
And Purple Angel is right...... An NAD receiver probably has a lot more current on tap through its headphone jack (which is just the speaker amp padded down by resistors) than a good many dedicated headphone amps that are just going to give you a little opamp based gain circuit in a fancy metal box.   HD650's are 300 ohm cans so they are pretty resistant to poor damping..... I'd think the NAD would do pretty damn good.
Hey Roger your audio pre out #3 (in/ out) is the way to go.   That is a line level output signal that has not run through the amplifier circuit yet..... If you opt for a desktop type amp you would just connect the two with RCA to RCA.... If you go with a portable amp then you can get an RCA to mini cable that way the headphone amp receives a line level signal and its volume is independent of the receivers. So both could be running at the same time and work independent of...
I usually use a Rega DAC but also had a Firestone Spitfire for a long time that sounded pretty awesome too. I tried using the DAC in my Pure i20 dock but after using the Rega for so long it sounded pretty digital. As far as headphones.... Right now Audeze LCD2's and also used Hifiman HE400's for awhile... This amp sounds stunning with Planars... Also have used Denon D5k's, JVC DX700, Fidelio X1's and Senn HD650's. All sounded full bodied and amazing. Also had Grado 326's...
Here is my main shop rig. 2 Sansui Integrated Amps, a Violectric Headamp, a Rega DAC with a W4S converter and LCD-2's Sources are a HP Envy Laptop running JRiver and an iPad running Equalizer Pro on a Pure i20 Dock.   And my wife wonders why I am always at the office....    That said, this wouldn't be a walk in the park review for the Burson. It would have to prove its worth in this setup. The Rega/ Violectric combo is roughly on par price wise.... The Sansui likely...
For Sale is a Violectric V100 Solid State headphone amplifier that I purchased end of last year. It still has 1 year plus left on two year warranty.I paid $700 + for it last year when Euro/ USD conversion rates were a bit better.  The amplifier is in PERFECT condition. Amp has only been used on my desk at work. Well cared for. I use it for maybe an hour a day so with burn in maybe 150 hours of use. Amp is mint. Comes with users manual and power cable and will be packed in...