Posts by analogsurviver

Please do read - and quote - what I have actually written. There was a remark regarding the tactile sensation ( feel ) of bass - trough use of subwoofer(s) dedicated specifically for headphone listening. There are threads on head-fi regarding specifically the use of subwoofers for headphone listening. I can pull and quote anyone*s comment/post out of the context and slap a similar bashing photo to it - too. As much as the digital DSP wizards would like to believe you...
I agree it is the most pretentious video ever. I agree with the "  Levitating hipsters inbound. :) " comment.  However, it IS true and it DOES work. HOW - it remains to be seen/heard. The working prototype premieres tomorrow at one of our two parallelely held audio shows : http://hifi-ljubljana.org/ Most turntable manufacturers do not have enough of an idea what a turntable actually is - but the degree of unawareness what a quality turntable should be doing as displayed...
Although from my country, it is the worst idea possible for a turntable :     
Frankly, I am surprised there is no KSE1500 review from Innerfidelity yet - such outstanding transducer certainly merits  all the attention possible. I only hope it has not been withheld from publication due to some embarrassingly poor performance revealed. So low frequencies for testing square wave of headphones were chosen no doubt after realising just how non-linear and imperfect headphones still are. The fact that headphone - by default - has got to be non linear in...
I personally prefer open headphones - the most open of them all, the AKG K-1000. But only in very quiet environment; the noise of the nearby compact disk player can be intrusive, not to say a typical computer.  In noisy environment, I use closed - or better yet - IEM phones. The higher the isolation, the more likely the ability to detect small differences in sound. 
Well, we should exchange our 2nds - I have none of those listed by you, with Inbal and Bernstein on some of the other Mahler symphonies in my library.. To bad there is so much water in between... and yes, at least half of my 2nds are on vinyl. This is head-fi - primarily intended for listening with headphones. Therefore comments regarding requirements for the listening room should not carry much weight. Of course I also prefer listening to loudspeakers - IF there are...
Really? A binaural recording - or to be super honest - binaural natural  recording ( a real person wearing mikes on his/hers own head, seating in "the best" seat ) does get to experience and record all phase differences, delays and reverberation - with zero difference in ambient noise levels, SPL levels of the orchestra, etc - and, when played back trough proper set of headphones, does give an almost 1:1 facsimile of the original performance heard live - save for the...
I have 10+ Mahler 2nd recordings - including two consecutive by the same recording engineer.  And it is very interesting how he went about getting more/truer to real sound on CD from one to the next. I hope to get to record it under favourable conditions in reasonable future - the two "takes" I did get to record were done under less than optimal conditions - for the third time I hope to finally get decent conditions ... Going to live concerts helps - a lot. Problem with...
Well, that "loud" section is quite sedated ( compressed ...) - and it fades out before the real thing - tympani - kicks in. The quiet section in real life is limited by the self-noise of the venue ( and/or microphones/preamp self noise ) - there are ( very brief ) pauses with nothing sung or played. From commercially available recordings, the one with the most believable dynamic range I am aware of is on Telarc CD...
@StanD No meter required - because ears are that sensitive. We only use meter(s) after - to verify what was arrived at by ear. I did say it takes uncompressed recording or live mic feed - and under no circumstances will the music reproduced to full real life SPL sound loud, as peaks are very short duration. Be it percussion, brass, soprano, ... take your pick. If commercially available recordings are used, they are most of the time normalized and compressed - classical and...