Posts by analogsurviver

I can understand that - and I agree.. But why, per default and as a principle, even reasonably priced cables ( like $ 30ish for RCA interconnect ) get so fiercely opposed by the objectivist camp ? Make no mistake, I will ALWAYS put better transducers and better electronics in front of the cables (except in those cases where they really are make or break in actually measured and audible differences, such as phono cartridges and electrostatic headphones ) - but I do hear an...
There are very few cartridges (alone, without the table and arm ) within this budget being capable of kind of keeping pace with good hirez. It is wishful thinking putting on the above mentioned tables say Ortofon Red ( to stay within the budget) and hoping the combination will cut it relative to the expectations. There is another aspect that needs to be mentioned. Record cleaning. After listening to what ultrasound cleaning does for the sound, I consider it Requirement #1....
Unfortunately, this is THE most iffy territory for your purpose. If we are talking new equipment, comparable to hirez is more expensive. I will sleep it over and see what possibly could be put together for this amount - but closer to the upper price limit. 0:42 AM here ...
Please state your budget range. Although analog turntable can subjectively compete with hirez, below certain amount of money it is wiser to stick with digital - unless in the possession of  large vinyl library. 
It boils down to your local DIY electronics part shop - or internet. Chinese produce one hell of a lot of types of speaker terminals, by some clever kludging it usually is possible to somehow mate gerbil with a kangaroo ... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xspeaker+terminals.TRS0&_nkw=speaker+terminals&_sacat=0
Quite frankly, this is the most PITA alike thing in vintage gear. The terminals on my beloved Technics gear is - ahem - subpar (if we are polite about it ). Rhey can be replaced - but you will look far and wide before you will find "something/anything" that can phisicaly fitthe space/volume available - and it will result in VERY tight placement and not exactly user friendly changing the speaker/headphone cables. The biggest problem is in making the isolation "washer/plate"...
In due time. In half an hour I will be in the concert hall, recording "a" choir. And the recording IS available - in "glorious YT sound" ( derived from MP3 192 kbps made for airing on the national radio ) :  When I have time sometime next week , I will upload exactly this piece in BOTH original simultaneuosly recorded masters - DSD128 and 192/24 .
The best table - EVER ? Most probably this one : http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/fr/audio/td_hg.htm Nowadays, with the legislation in power, an utter impossibility. Even if one accepted the risk of having so much mercury in the home. But if you ever tried mercury in TT, you would know anything else is but a VERY pale substitute. NOT recommended to go auditioning it - without the possibility to carry it back home with you...
Oh - I did hear modern TTs in my home. I had a VERY interesting and superbly executed design - a prototype - some 10 years ago. It smoked anything you can possibly think of . Built by a friend, to tolerances completely unheard of in even top $ commercially available products - regardless of price. But it was a labor of love and not a commercially viable product - which is a pity. And I go hopping mad whenever I am remembered of it - because the design/idea got "borrowed"...
True - you are in present $$$$$ gear, I am trying - and succeeding - to at least partially match this top level performance by using modified vintage pinnacle products. And sometimes new crop is no match for the vintage - regardless of cost.