or Connect

Posts by analogsurviver

True, depends what you count as earspeakers. Stax say they call their headphones "earspeakers" because they, according to them, produce similar sound to loudspeakers in a room.  Jecklin Float was the original earspeaker - even if Stax dated back to B.C.  It is a true earspeaker, presenting the ear with a sound field similar to loudspeakers, it uses no earpads and does not touch the ear in any way - thus allowing our pinna to perform as intended, naturally.  No Stax model...
It is Mr. Jurg Jecklin - an equivalent of Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Mercedes, ( name your favourite dream car maker here ) combined among the recording engineers of this world . Brilliant ideas, but a bit less brilliant execution of the actually commercially available products. Floats are among the very best headphones available - as with any electrostatic, the better the drive "box", the better the overall result.
It is Jecklin Float, now produced by Quad Atelier of Germany. http://www.head-fi.org/t/607422/new-jecklin-float-qa Quad Atelier do not make speakers, but have acquired rights to service Quad ESL speakers.  It is the original earspeaker, dating back to 70s - and on your pic was the inventor himself, Jurg Jecklin. Produced initialy by the Swiss company  Precide S.A. , which later turned to similarly open "headphones", but exchanged drivers for...
IRS V and rs1/B ( which I have heard ) are both great speakers. What is the make/model of that quad headphone ? I agree we all perceive the sound a bit differently and give preference to equipment accordingly. 
Great info.  I do not care if it runs on 5 phase - as long as it delivers the goods sonically. Original K-1000 is FAR more demanding to drive than HD-800.
Psychoacoustic ELECTRONIC manipulation ?!? Where do you have anything electronic in recording of binaural - other than mics and recorder ? ( HEAD Acoustics Aachen head does use DSP instead of ear shaped "entrance" for the mike - in order to be able to use larger diameter microphone that allows for 120 dB dynamic range, which can not be covered by smaller microphone due to S/N issues ) It is pure shape/size of ears/canals, coupled to mics (this is the most tricky part to...
Well, gentlemen, you are wrong. I agree that soundstage in headphones is the hardest thing to achieve - and is , therefore, the least likely to be experienced. But it CAN be done. The following binaural recordings, when listened to on GOOD headphones ( AKG K-1000/BAP-1000 > AKG K-1000 > ..... > .....) , should be convincing enough. Not totally perfect, but sure beats anything that does less/nothing to preserve spatial...
Then you should experience AKG K-1000/BAP-1000 combo on good binaural recording. After that, nothing else will do...
I can perfectly understand your position.  I am about the last to be able to afford the new Orpheus - but I can marvel at the technical achievements it embodies. Because of my history, I know more about electrostatics than most people or even manufacturers - but with limited resources it is hard to compete with the likes of Sennheiser.  Enjoy your HD-650s - just because they are not *enough* for those accustomed to stats, it does mean they are not good and enjoyable. It...
I didn' t like the fact that AKG K-1000 appeared - at all. Because , at the time, I was seriously considering coming to the market with the electrostatic earspeaker and amplifier combo - which was, is and will continue to be superior to Orpheus, original or new, in its spatial rendition capabilities. But not a match for the K-1000. That and the fact the amp with which I was finally satisfied, is unfortunately more than lethal, put the project in low gear - and was finished...