Posts by analogsurviver

Some people can. I know of a person who could hear to 24 kHz - pure sine wave. But this is exceptional hearing.
A great post. By someone who obviously actually has practical experience with recording. I have not gone to the lengths of  temperature and RH ( sometimes, we are forced to record in unheated remote churches, even during winter, close to 0C air - or even below,  because of their good acoustic properties and  location away from the road or railroad; the practical PITA is how to wind the cables that get very hard in so low temperatures, apply some reasonable "internal...
+1. That's why , when recording a super rare Guarnieri (and priceless, estimated to be worth XY M$ for insurance purposes only ) violin in Australia , THE reference stereo pair from Bruel & Kjaer was flown in from Denmark - by the corporate jet. And flew back to the factory in Naerum the minute after finished recording.  It, too, is priceless. In multimiking, it is next to irrelevant to have matched pairs ...
Sigh... This folly about beyond 20 kHz not mattering has to stop. I found a good sample of acoustic guitar and voice from DPA microphones - NOT stating in which resolution it is. Downloading reveals it is 96/24 - and it has extremely low noise up to 48 kHz limit - with dynamic range between 20 and 50 kHz between 30 and 40 dB. Too bad I did not bookmark it ( it was among few clips posted to Gearslutz - in order to compare various makes and models of microphones - some of...
Good enough
Equally, I could write  no content above 20 kHz = not worth the effort with CD. Yet I did chose to use it, making the best of my efforts, to the best of its abilities - although it can never be a match for the best analog has to offer. Learning a few things along the way.
Wrong. Go to any dealer prepared to demonstrate to you - on your records - how a properly adjusted quality cartridge can sound. It should result in separation better than 40 dB - which is, for all practical purposes, good enough. Transfering older tape originated analog recordings to any digital will also transfer this channel separation - or lack thereof. Today, both analog and digital can play any channel separation was available on analog tape. As said, getting down to...
Dream on - both vinyl and FM can exceed 60 dB of channel separation - but admittedly only by few cartridges and tuners. Both are more limited by the source programme - where vinyl cutting mastering engineers can quickly knock this down to 25 dB - or less.  Better FM tuners http://sportsbil.com/tandberg/tpt-3001-b.pdf ( when tested by Audio in US, it exceeded specs )are equally generally outperforming the specs for the transmitters - but few of the transmitters are good...
Around - 60 dB. Which is not to say that improving an amplifier from around 90 dB to below residual noise is not audible - it is; but it will only be appreciated over long listening sessions.And even that not directly - unless you test with two of the same type amps, one left at 90 dB or so, other "all the way". It will be the most noticeable when you go from the better back to the worse ... - AFTER you have familiarized yourself with the better one. That is why ,...