Posts by analogsurviver

1. This IS head-fi ; no soundproofing required for listening with headphones. 2. Yes, you can ( at least I do ) play it that loud - because the peaks at this loudness are extremely short and the level is actual concert level, which is not constant jackhammer at 1 m. If closed or IEM headphones are used, the noise floor of the listening room is not critical - however, it IS problem with open headphones, most pronounced with otherwise my beloved AKG K-1000 ( which can not...
It is precisely Gustav Mahler's music recordings that do push the limit. If recorded without any form of compression, Mahler can jump from complete silence ( noise floor of the recording venue - 20 dB ?) to ffff ( 110 dB ?) in the shortest period of time possible. Try any of the Benjamin Zander's Mahler on Telarc ( I have 3 and am in general agreement with the reviewer - EXCEPT for his totally erronous comment regarding the dynamic range - it IS one of if not the only...
Correct. The value of the capacitors was chosen totally at random - from wikipedia, to not infringe any copyrights that may apply. Nice try as it is, you did not answer the question - along with godzillion others. I really appreciate your contributions, they are concise, correct and educational. But please :  in dB ( approximately to within 10 dB ) for an"average electrolytic capacitor found in quality midrange mainstream manufacturer equipment ". Because these devices...
On purpose I did not go to models or specs or measurements of those vintage DD TTs - because they are already RARE and any more info floating around would simply drive the prices of only sporadically available units up and up. That over-the-top Onkyo is http://www.thevintageknob.org/onkyo-PX-100M.html It is no coincidence that one of the few known to be in Europe is personal table of Mr. Schroeder, the known tonearm manufacturer.  I certainly agree that single digit number...
Hehe - NOW we finally arrive at some REAL questions and answers regarding AUDIBLE differences in audio - not just DACs. Question - not just for you - how much do you think is the ( approximate, say within 10 dB ) true dynamic range of the item in the picture:  
It is PERFECTLY possible to hear the difference among the two DACs of above - or anything audio with on paper performance too good to be deemed audible. Because people keep forgetting that whatever digititis involved, it HAS to pass trough an ANALOG stage at some point - in case of DACs, that is output. For the analogcircuit to be transparent beyond the spec for the above DAC chips, it is hard - damn hard, if not impossible. And it is the analog stage normally determining...
ASAP. It will be a part of the thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/613136/turntable-setup-questions-thread-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-your-question-here - because it has much to do with phono cartridge electrical loading. Particularly MM cartridges are VERY vulnerable to this; MCs are all but unaffected as far as square wave is concerned when compared to the degree MM cartridges are. There is numerous threads and references regarding this online, yet all actually displaying...
 Frankly, I do not give a damn what is inside the box - as long as it does what is expected of it. Although I can "accept" that DAC chips of all three major manufacturerd do both DSD and PCM natively, I can not agree regarding the possibility to unlock the performance above that for which the chip was designed. Please do check the nano thread on head-fi, it is "somewhere" - I simply do not have time to search for it now in a loooong thread. I found the way how to extend...
Correction - iFi did find the way to use the PCM1792 to twice beyond the spec - they are processing DSD512 with it - or 22.xyz MHz ( or 8 times the DSD baseline ).- or DXD to "beyond 700 kHz" . And that definitely is not in any revision by the manufacturer of the chip. Ifi wrote its own protocol to utilize capabilities that were not even mentioned by the manufacturer -Burr Brown, now Texas Instruments. I regard DXD as "practical DSD" - as it allows editing without going to...
Let's get one thing straight. Whatever iFi is doing in iTube amp, is NOT "secret vintage part" from DACs - and they clearly stated which DAC they use (PCM1792). - NO secrets here.  These are TWO different things and I do not know why you keep trying to unite them - and although nano could benefit from beefier headphone amp, micro is a power station - with more than 4 W per channel, capable of driving practically all dynamic headphones in existance. micro is not only DAC,...