Posts by analogsurviver

I suggest you get the NOS ATN-20SLA ( SS ? ) stylus ASAP -  because, even after almost 4 decades, it is STILL one of the best overally accomplished "toothpicks" you can possibly think of.  AT did outdo the "20" with a handful of much later styli/carts, yet the properly adjusted and terminated 20 is still among the best carts ever. I agree NOS prices are expensive - but are at least manageable as of this time. If you decide to get one say within a year, the sources from...
Yes.  As a matter of fact, 5/10/20/40 - only three-s, 3 and 30 have so far proven elusive. Of these, I find the Stylus 20 to be the most balanced/neutral - BY FAR. With its recommended load, it is so damn neutral/linear/flat I actually use it for test  record frequency response evaluation. It is usually paired with far too low quality arm/table to show off what it is really capable of. It may not be the fastest, it might not reveal what is going on in the dressing room...
That is another interpretation.  Fact remains that it takes larger voltage swing in an amplifier and greater headphone or speaker excursion to reproduce limited LF response square wave than required for a (near) DC amp - for the same reference level in the midrange, usually 1 kHz. That makes LF limited response amps audibly "louder" in the bass. This fact also means that LF limited amp can reach clipping point earlier than (near) DC amp - for the same power rating and same...
What is required for perceived speed in bass ? Extension waaaay above 20 kHz - with sources and headphones/speakers that support it - a good amp should be the least of a problem. I agree that rolled off bass can very easily be mistakenly perceived as having great PRAT - but now I hope the extent of mentioning PRAT is spent for some years to come - I doubt I thought or said or written it as many times as in few posts back - in my entire life. Far too loosely defined for my...
Actually, the OPPOSITE is true.  Any piece of electronics that limits low frequency response will sound LOUDER in the bass than truly well extended or ultimately DC capable equipment. This is VERY difficult to explain to an average and not-so-average listener. Significantly more than 90 % of all the audio equipment unfurtunately belongs to the limited LF response group - hence it de facto became the standard and all equipment is measured against.Greater extension in the...
Well, it may well sound confusing at first - but really it isn't.  I am not fond of the term PRAT in the first place, but will offer my view on what might also be termed as PRAT. Frequency response of any electronic , if not perfect ( DC to light ), is at its corners (defined as -3dB points in frequency response ) actually delayed in relation to input signal - and that delay definitely IS audible. Only the midrange is on spot regarding time or phase or whichever way one...
In a competently designed amplifier, no.  However, if frequency response is not extended enough beyond and below the officially accepted 20-20k limits,it can have affect. More serious is defect in power supply - if it is modulated by the audio signal at ANY frequency, but particularly within 20-20k, it can have an effect on the so called PRAT. This also goes for particular points within the circuit that should be stable - not just main + - after the rectifiers and main...
Partly agreed. Theorethically perfect equipment applied poorly will yield worse result than inferiour equipment applied excelently. Then again - one can apply all the expertize in the world, if data acquisition provides only so much info, it can not record what is not provided in the first place.
+1.  Only if it was not meant acoustical output measured with microphone/ear coupler/dummy head after the EQ has been applied - and how it compares to unequalized output.  DAC alone should not have any audible deviation from flat. 
Well, most people here operate within given fact - a recording, most usually in PCM. Compare that to analog mic feed and you will start to understand - once in PCM or even worse,  redbook CD, you can DSP almost ad nuseaum, without any further loss of quality - but what you are starting with looks like a brick, was homologized and pastuerized to certain % of milk fat ( where the hell is cheese then coming from ?  ) - in short, what comes out of that brick ( Tetrapack, no...