Posts by analogsurviver

OK, thank you for the clarification. As you are most probably using it - does it change reading speed during the process ? According to the Features, it does. Can it be forced to go slowly, at some constant speed, not exceeding say 10x during ripping ?
Why would you say that ?
You can go and record various brands of carts in "cold" and "warm"  " climate". So that you will see they all follow more or less the same pattern of behaviour. I will include that in my forthcoming series of TT setup. What I lack at the moment is any possibility to generate graphs. Compounded is the problem that I will not satisfy myself with response limited to 20 kHz. Whatever software for graphs I end up using, will have to be flat to at least 50 kHz - hopefully more....
OK, you guys are seriously cracking me up regarding vinyl.   I am the first to admit it has problems - but also potential beyond the CD. That from the Day One, when Philips Prototype was travelling around the globe appearing on countless electronics shows, IIRC 1979 or 1980 - and next year was joined by few others (Hitachi, Toshiba spring to mind from our fair ), two years after that it was omnipresent everywhere.   It is unfortunate that vinyl is only now coming...
Sadly, I have seen USB tables with ceramic cartridges. I will try EAC - but first glance at Features does not look too inspiring - effects, effects and more effects - and what is more troublesome, it looks it can not be tamed to low, if not 1x speed - all I could find is mention that it slows down whenever encountering the problem. That excludes use of mat.  Further worries - does EAC support Audio Master Quality Recording recording mode from Yamaha ? If not, less...
There are EXTREMELY few commercially available recordings made with only two microphones outside binaural variety - which in itself is rare. One two examples I know of is Mahler symphonies series with Inbal on Denon in early 80s (recorded with AB spaced pair of then new Bruel & Kjaer omnis ) - the other Water Lilly Acoustics  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Lily_Acoustics of "Kavi"  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kavichandran_AlexanderThe phisolophy of WLA is here...
Get a test record, measure frequency response and trackability at 18 degrees Centigrade and 23 degrees Centiugrade - and you will see . It is also VERY easy to hear on a well recorded record - this is nothing new. Present day Benzs are in this regard very similar to the old. Otherwise, there are differences - but this remains for the most part the same. And is shared with most other cartridge manufacturers. I was there in 1990 - not early 80s. Regardless, elastomers have...
You would be (for the most part) mistaken. No. I would still choose something musically better but technically inferiour to something musically bland but technically superiour. But I am of course attracted to better recorded material more. Unfortunately, did not develop the ability to bring the likes of Melchior etc back to life ...- there are simply no singers of his calibre today.But I try as much as I can to record the best musicians within reach. To be blunt - some...
Of course not. I was listening and am still listening to recordings of others - ALWAYS interesting to hear how various aspects have been tackled throughout the history, technology changes,  record labels, engineers, etc. I own around 2K of LPs and , one way or another, couple hundred CDs - plus my recordings.  No, I do not supervise the entire production. I do not do editing/mastering. Since my recordings are ALWAYS two mike only, there is no "mixing" in conventional sense...
No. Generally, they are to be avoided as a pleague - with possible exception confirming the rule. Or at the very least not being record destroyer on the first play.