or Connect

Posts by analogsurviver

Yep, perfectly competent model$$$$$$$$$ are available ... - it is more cost effective to tie some loose ends in a comparatively lots cheaper component with about the same potential on paper as the "perfectly competent". But it does require knowledge, skill and experience - most definitely NOT something for novice. Sometimes, it does not require too much to get an otherwise pedestrian performing piece of gear to really start singing as the original promo brochure is...
I am merely trying to be - realistic. As much as I do love analog, I can not deny that its downfalls do not destract from the "perfect" experience. If the recording is originally digital - it IS best played on digital gear; at least no analog problems added to the mix. Where there is signal recorded to the analog disc using analog recording containing frequency response past 20 kHz - then I would tend to go with analog. And, YES, one does need a super performing cartridge...
You' ll have to "kludge" it. In a pinch, the one used for Linn Ittok/Ekos might/may fit - but as anything Linn is a bit pricey... - see above !
I know it happened some two weeks ago - yet I found it half an hour ago. I simply wanted, after a loooong time, to listen to      only to find the dreaded R.I.P. letters in the YT comments...   I still own the copy of Fish Out Of Water on LP I brought from my so far only visit to London back in 1977. A brilliant album, in some way "the lost Yes album".   Rest in peace -  the most innovative and influential bass player I ever had the chance to listen to.
I certainly agree regarding the readability, the process, etc - and regarding the use of de facto replaceable ( readily available ) styli ( either trough simple substitution for the new replaceable stylus or retipping ) - but I do mind using terrific vintage styli for digital recordings. Once heard what truly great analog has in the grooves, knowing the only way to get it out of the grooves is trough styli from the bygone Golden Era  of analog ( late 70's-early 80's - have...
Yes, there is a problem. Better cartridges tend to protest with a transparent reading : ( like a computer asking you, several times : Are you really sure you want to format the C drive ? ) : Are you really sure you want to wear my precious stylus for this digital crap ? Half joking, half serious; I can not say 100 % of what I listen to on vinyl has been recorded in analog - yet I see little reason in getting the worst of both worlds in playing a digital recording on a...
Have you ever heard VMS20EMKII on a good TT ? Into an optimised electrical load phono input ? In an arm that is not too massive to let it sing ? Against a MC that has to track at 2 grams ? With TWO new/mint pressings of the same LP, able to do A/B switching ? I did - the only thing I did not do (yet) is level matching to within 0.1 dB @1 kHz, as this would require at least one additional preamp in the chain. But I can do that too. I agree Onkyo in its stock form is a POS -...
Yes, I do. It is connected with properly presenting the things. This TT , all its pros and cons, how to remove most, if not all of its cons, will be presented with pics, videos, measurements, audio - you name it - better than anything that went on before. It would be almost as good as being next to me and watching me doing it. I had to gather the hardware and software to be able to do so, in itself quite an undertaking. Now, with most of required in place, I hope to have...
Not a great picture, but a great auction for a sleeper TT :   http://www.ebay.com/itm/141714019907?rmvSB=true   These Onkyo models  (in the order of desirability from lowest to highest: CP-1055F. CP-1057F, CP-1055F II ) can be turned into a very very good performing tables. Not too easy to do, not totally without expense - yet one hell of a lot more value than say Tecnics SL-1200. Its greater limitation : accepts only very shallow cartridges, as it does not have arm...
Agreed. One thing is for sure - if it is in good condition, it will not ruin your records. For everything else, a nice comparison with 8 more expensive options :  http://www.analogplanet.com/content/nine-cartridges-compared-reviewed-and-voting-results#qMsGogqZpdbftJ3A.97 Based on the above review, the most sen$ible solution would be to get the stylus for AT-95SA that fits your existing AT-95E cartridge :http://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATN95SA.html but ONLY if AT-LP120 TT...