Posts by analogsurviver

Hi, I have trouble in configuring ifi nano iDSD in foobar2000 so that also in ABX comparator it would play natively DSD.   When I play the files normally, it will do DSD256, under ABX comparator it switches DSD playback to 176/192/24 - making direct blind testing of say redbook CD WAV 44.1/16 to DSD impossible. I tried as I might to listen blind. and after I got consistently WRONG results, did allow to see which colour LED is glowing - and discovered the above.   Any...
OK, I see the only "real advantage CD has over LP" strikes again... Smuggling it past the wife, that is  !
If the Realistic TT is actually Technics built ( I think it is ), inside out play will not work, as the sensor for corrrection of tangency is only for the normal operation. That is the reason why CH23 correctly replied which parts of this record are playable by Technics ( built ) linear tables. Upgrading a very good table because ONE record out of ???? ( all the rest in existance ) ?
I did not mean to upset anybody. And it is not my experience jazz fans are so outnumbered they need "special minority protection" - but point taken. Still, I like confrontation like this far better than what I received as an email from a friend today - made me sad. Horace Silver is no longer with us: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Silver R.I.P.
It is - about jazz, that is. I just thought to present a song of originally prog band that obviously can be adapted to something like "standard" in jazz. - after seeing a remark that King Crimson should be ignored. I do not subscribe to strict or even elitist division of music according to the genre(s) - music is either good or bad. Now I can see an ardent follower of punk rock is probably unlikely to attend a classical concert - and vice versa - but jazz and classical...
Yes. Some of them are posted on the Youtube ( in "glorious" MP3 , posted prior to the possibility of uploading lossless sound on YT ) - but I have to read again and decide regarding the rules on head-fi regarding Member Of the Trade. I prefer to remain anon for a while longer ... - all other YT vids are fully credited with names etc. There is one I already posted on head fi and wanted to link it to this thread - along with all relevant information on the venue etc -...
Thank you for bringing the KEXP channel to my attention. Nice music - which should be backed by better recording, as Havi will expose it all - good, and unfotunately also the bad.
Cutting the high frequency content in an unlimited fashion into the lacquer master is anything but easy. Due to numerous factors, the prime being the necessity for the RIAA curve to be applied during mastering - which by the 20 kHz has +20 dB boost. Only the very last models of cutting heads and associated electronics could take and supply the power required - and in the region of approx 5-10 kHz, where the requirements for cutting the groove are the highest, that can meet...
Both yes and no. Depends how far  the mastering engineers dare/are allowed to go. The high frequency problems are two - first is the stylus tip profile/geometry, second is the effective moving mass.The second can be also described as trackability (Shure), mechanical impedance ( Technics, Denon ) - etc. It is simple - the lower the moving mass, the higher will be the resonant frequency of stylus yielding against vinyl groove wall elasticity, extending the upper frequency...
No, I can not hear a simple 30 kHz sine wave tone. Never did claim that. Just as is intermodulation distortion in equipment above 20 kHz possible to hear within audible band as difference products - it could also be that the similar difference between ultrasonic sounds is heard naturally. Removing them and thus removing this audible difference can have audible effect.  I agree that IMD in equipment shoul not exist - but removing the naturally occuring sound should not  be...