or Connect

Posts by analogsurviver

Same blues here - but still I find graphs useful. I miss those days Peter Moncrieff has been publishing good stuff ... - his phono cartridge reviews still are unmatched anywhere.
Although I do agree retail prices are too high, you obviously have not set foot lately even in electronic parts store - normal, not audiophile one - let alone in a " shop" capable of anything approaching the precision required to manufacture the stators of the new Orpheus . Normal audio piece of electronics per default costs the manufacturer about 20 % of the retail price - you have to cover for R&D, distribution, advertising, service and support. Super cutting edge...
Well, Italian audio press in those days was perhaps the best possible mix between objective (measurements) and subjective commentary available anywhere. They would translate the The Absolute Sound review of a particular piece of audio gear - followed by, with a month or two delay, their own take both on measurements and listening on the same piece of gear. What is of particular value today is the fact that things were being measured under the very same conditions for...
Well, this makes for TWO independent third party measurements, confirming the very same thing; IE800 RINGS. Its pulse response is a mess, in both samples tested by Tyll and in this case, too. It is also visible in decay response, there are differences between the two channels, everything the most pronounced in the 8-15 kHz region (depending on sample tested ) etc - and it concurs with my auditioning of IE800 at Munich show in May. There was persistent high pitched "noise"...
Well, reading measurements does not require (much) Italian - a graph is a graph. A particularly detailed report on Shure V15 IV is here : http://www.suono.it/La-rivista/Archivio/(pub)/56728( I still have it in paper ! ) Too bad there are no (at least to my knowledge ) tests from Suono available online.
As a "collateral damage" ( I was looking for measurements of Beveridge 2SW loudspeaker, which was measured as having 0.03% THD over much of its frequency range close to max output - with a microphone in an anechoic chamber ) I stumbled upon these :   http://www.annuarioaudio.it/vintage-hi-fi/test-recensioni-prove/stereoplay-a/   There are vintage receivers and amplifiers tested, sometimes even X vs Y...
No such thing as a vintage balanced receivers. Balanced started appearing in consumer high end audio separates years after receivers fell out of vogue. There might be some lone wolfs that are internally balanced and only have unbalanced RCA inputs - but that would drive the cost up so much to be seriously overpriced relative to single ended competition. Possible yes, likely no. Balanced is WAAAY overrated for consumer audio. Think about the fact that none of the true...
I sincerely do hope the new Orpheus will fare better than IE800. In MFR's description, they were hailed as best ever IEMs. In audition, they lasted about 10 minutes max with me. After seeing the measurements by third party, I knew why. I did already write in these pages about the best "loudspeaker" ever. It was a Bruel & Kjaer "electrostatic loudspeaker", which they threw together as a joke or show, whichever you prefer, at the time the 4006 microphone was new. Some 2-300...
Yes, I can. Published by German audio press, IIRC Stereoplay, around 1978. I will look up trough my files - I have photocopies somewhere. Lots of superb objective measurements has been done in 70s and 80s by Instituto Alta Fedelta - IAF, in Rome, Italy. Lots of these were being published in Suono, Italy, Stereoplay, Italy - as well its sister publication Stereoplay, Germany. In the same issue were  were also tested Quad ESL ( now known as Quad 57, then there was no other...
Khaki green with violet dots for me - as long as they sound right.