Posts by analogsurviver

Enjoy ! I wish I could attend that performance...
Well, one just should not do this kind of a mistake. Being 100% home theatre free, there is nothing featuring HDMI I can think of in my possession. There are audible differences in DACs - or more correctly, in analog stages. I remember having a really good laugh when some time ago, somebody tested, side by side, practically any chip set available at the time, using prototype breadboards. Nice, commendable, etc. With one "simple" glitch - he used normal grade of capacitors...
It does not belong - strictly speaking - into this thread. But it does hit the  BEST list:    http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2015/April/Recycled-Orchestra-Turns-Trash-in-Music/?cpid=:ID:-1424-:DT:-2015-05-06-09:13:13-:US:-AB1-:CN:-CP1-:PO:-NC1-:ME:-SU1-:SO:-FB1-:SP:-NW1-:PF:-VI1-
Live. Heard in the room. From the position of the listener - NOT microphone. Recordings should simply duplicate sound heard live best they possibly can. It is my experience over decades  that ANYTHING that can play past 20 kHz sounds better - and now we actually do have equipment that can both record and playback to 100 kHz - so why not ?
It is not required to be able to turn head to localize the source with headphones. My experience is with AKG K-1000 driven by BAP-1000 processor made specially for it. But come to think about it, it IS possible to "turn your head" when wearing K-1000; one can simply displace it slightly where the pads are touching the temples - achieving effectively the same as id turning the head listening to music live or to loudspeakers. The combination has uncanny ability to project...
Some people can. I know of a person who could hear to 24 kHz - pure sine wave. But this is exceptional hearing.
A great post. By someone who obviously actually has practical experience with recording. I have not gone to the lengths of  temperature and RH ( sometimes, we are forced to record in unheated remote churches, even during winter, close to 0C air - or even below,  because of their good acoustic properties and  location away from the road or railroad; the practical PITA is how to wind the cables that get very hard in so low temperatures, apply some reasonable "internal...
+1. That's why , when recording a super rare Guarnieri (and priceless, estimated to be worth XY M$ for insurance purposes only ) violin in Australia , THE reference stereo pair from Bruel & Kjaer was flown in from Denmark - by the corporate jet. And flew back to the factory in Naerum the minute after finished recording.  It, too, is priceless. In multimiking, it is next to irrelevant to have matched pairs ...
Sigh... This folly about beyond 20 kHz not mattering has to stop. I found a good sample of acoustic guitar and voice from DPA microphones - NOT stating in which resolution it is. Downloading reveals it is 96/24 - and it has extremely low noise up to 48 kHz limit - with dynamic range between 20 and 50 kHz between 30 and 40 dB. Too bad I did not bookmark it ( it was among few clips posted to Gearslutz - in order to compare various makes and models of microphones - some of...