Posts by analogsurviver

Subsonic filtering is the last resort and definitely an after the fact cure, not prevention of the problem. Although good and beneficial if there are no other means to combat the problem available, it is still a band aid - at best. Every phono cartridge/tonearm has a fundamental system resonance, governed by the compliance pf the stylus suspension and combined effective mass. It should, ideally, be in the 8 to 12 Hz range, with 10 Hz being an ideal value.  What is NOT...
Ha - WRONG ! I , usually, do not have time to clean the connectors. It takes some 2-3 minutes to do a single RCA - male or female - times say 40 it is quite time consuming. Last time I did a thorough job, my producer begged me to stop doing it - he heard way too much errors in the choir he is also a member of - the tenor. I DID go trough the roof regarding connector reliability - or sheer ability to make a reliable contact in the first place. For cables I solder together...
Well, you obviously do not know I have chosen DSD recording, which is, of course - digital - as means that most closely approximates analogue. In some ways, it is superior to analogue tape, in some it is (DSD128) still worse.  I certainly agree whatever digital recorder ( that does not rely on pesky USBs...)  is far more robust than any analogue recorder. I did not mention the last friday and saturday I had demo of my own master DSD recordings at our yearly audio show....
You forgot something - things I use have to be (trans)portable. Most of the time, solutions proposed are not even available, let alone practical or cost effective. Taken together, I can barely carry/roll/whatever the minimum equipment required - looking more like an octopus than a human being in the process. Except octopuses do not haul giant 50 kg cases behind them... In 5 hours I will be on a train to Italy for tomorrow*s recording session. Off to quick sleep ...
In home environment, one usually connects whatever setup once "almost for all" - and rarely changes much. Connection failures are really rare. In the the "acoustics scouting" for the present female choir Christmas CD , I had to set up and dismantle the whole setup 4 times - in a single day. For every single church we had at our disposal, so we could decide which will be used for the final recording based on these preliminary recordings. It is a "little" different than at...
Hmmm - I have a friend who is running the national health insurance organization*s "computers". It HAS to work 24/7, 365/366/year. HE is getting tired of server in his home music setup - and wants simply to press the button and listen to some music after returning home from staring at computer screens all day. No menus, mouse & all that digital nuisance. Whenever I requested him to play a certain song I knew he has it or was even given by me, it took ages before he finally...
So, you must live in an ideal world where nothing ever fails. Not so in real life - it is pure wishful thinking. Connector lifespan is usually much lower than actual device*s - what good is a perfect amp, computer or whatever electronics - if it can not be connected reliably ? I know it is trivial - that is why it can be so maddening at times. Repeat : it takes about one minute to unpack, connect and power up - ALWAYS perfect so far - an analog VU/Peak Hold meter - whereas...
OK - ever experienced an iffy USB contact - either cable or plug on the computer ? That is BIG issue in real life when you have to transport the equipment. If contact is lost for an infinitesimal part of a second, the computer can go crazy, resetting itself to some setting who knows how much time in its history removed from realtime - and it is frantically punching in the correct settings all over again. If it happens just before the beginning of a live concert - you are...
Quite true - with one, but unfortunately, fatal flaw. Whenever you are listening to any live performance, you do get to listen to the effects you describe above as being so much greater in magnitude than the defects of the headphone transducers themselves. And the acoustics, however flawed they might be according to any of the objectively measured parameters, do tend to aid the intentions of composers/musicians. Sometimes , the acoustics can have a determined influence on...
I know that and am aware of it. The way I see digital/DSP in audio : it is slow to set up, it is fragile, it lets you down when most needed. Two examples:  1. ) VU/Peak Hold meter on laptop : for some strange reason, computers DO have will, if not mind, of their own. They would not recognize Device A trough its USB input 1, but trough all of the other USB inputs; Device B malfunctions on USB input 3, but works perfectly on others .... - and so on and on. Stick any device (...