Posts by analogsurviver

It depends. It is MUCH easier to design low distortion amplifiers with lower power than big amps. The border is usually around 70 - to max 100 W. Above that, the amps are usually poorer in SQ when called upon to work with say 10 W maximum level. There is a myriad of technical reasons for that - and amps of more than 100 W of power with really good SQ are rare and VERY expensive. I agree it is a good idea to have reasonable headroom - to stay well clear of the possibility...
Because : 1.) I wanted to SEE how my own recordings of music I found lacking when converted to CD redbook look like in visual analysis.2. I wanted to see how out of band DSD noise shows up on conversion to 192/24  (comparison of converter software/filtering )3.) I am curious how recordings of other people sound/look like - I have to admit that , to quench the first curiosity, I went trough some of the Linn 24 bits of Christmas - in their ORIGINAL/native resolution - not...
Please see the answer given regarding the microphones in the other thread.   The distortion of the microphones can be low - VERY low. The best testimony to that were the measurements of the Beveridge 2SW speaker made in the late 70s/early 80s ( in Instituto Alta Fedelta  Roma, Italy ? someplace in Germany? ) and published in German audio press (Stereoplay ? ) . I have it somewhere and if and when it will turn up, will upload it. Anechoic chamber measurements of the THD...
"Extremely linear" It is the best answer that can be given. For measuring microphones, a LARGE anechoic chamber is required. You need a VERY linear sound source. Preferably point source. You need a precision turntable for taking the polar pattern. It is the same question "who checks the checker". Nobody is more qualified to measure the microphones than the microphone manufacturer. Resources, know how etc - that anybody else simply do not possess. You can be 101% sure that...
The shortest answer would be - read this thread from the start. Then you will realize guitar, as anything else, can be recorded in many ways. Some recording techniques are more natural sounding, some less. Binaural is great, but you really need to have the top artificial head for that - or you will drown in noise. That is from approx $ 6-7 K and up - to beyond 30 for top Head Acoustics (Aachen Head). Acoustic guitar belongs to the most difficult instruments to record if...
Great ! Those mikes from B&K are still reference quality for measurements. Also great to know that your kgsshv- carbon runs on 20 mA - exactly enough to go to 20 kHz at full volume with approx 120 pF load. I know which size it must be - big. Class A amps have got to cool one way or another - and cooling fan is NOT an option.  Back in the day, I went beyond these figures - to 60 mA+ and single ended supply of 1700 V DC using tubes. For my own ES earspeakers - this voltage...
It is "questionable" what linear is. For high frequencies, it will mean SMALL diameter diaphragm - or else polar pattern will be anything but good - more important than a few dB off on axis in real life.  Microphone measurements are the most tedious and expensive. TBH - only manufacturers - and their agents (in case of Bruel & Kjaer/DPA ) are truly qualified to measure them. In the whole history of the home audio press, there was 1 ( in a word : one ) comparative review of...
That sounds pretty good to me. You are likely within the tolerances of test records ( I have long ago stopped using them for nominally recorded signals, now I observe how accurately cartridges play their defects ...) - so it , for all practical purposes, does not get any better. Nice to hear that Miyajima works so well ! It should on paper, but getting a first hand confirmation is always nice. Enjoy spinnin'.
I'll ask him ( or her - female bats supposedly hear even higher ) if you pay him/her enough... 
 We can start at the bottom : Panasonic WM-61A http://industrial.panasonic.com/lecs/www-data/pdf/ABA5000/ABA5000CE22.pdf It is spec'd up to 20 kHz ( and is remarkably linear, better than many much more expensive capsules ) - but it goes MUCH higher. Just grab a bag of 10 or 20 pcs and measure and make pairs - but they are used for burglar alarms, as they pick up the sound of breaking glass really well - and that aint lowly 20 kHz. The price for a single WM-61 capsule  is...