Posts by analogsurviver

Partially true. There are microphones ( at least one, Sanken ) that exceed the frequency response of all known digital recording, being about equaled perhaps (should be there about ) by DSD256 and maybe DXD recorder(s). That is to say "essentially flat" frequency response of mic/preamp/recorder to 100 kHz ( please note Sanken is anything but ruler flat, its response assumes the filtering in air across typical distance  used in recording  and polar characteristics of real...
I promised to post the photos of square wave as recorded by various analog and digital formats - and will post them in near future.  I wish I had more measuring equipment ( at least a spectrum and distortion analyzer ) - but I do not. The arguments against the audibility or effects of mere existance of frequency response above accepted limit of human hearing of 20 kHz are numerous - from microphones that do go beyond 20 kHz (even if not specified how tightly or not...
Computer progress at an ever faster pace - or something like that. I agree that video editing is more demanding - no problem with that. Scientifically supported reason to listen to DSD/DXD ? Hard to tell to a person who did not have first hand experience with either. I do not have any experience worth mentioning with the DXD - because native DXD playback I have for about a week and I have no capability to record DXD. So I will state so and let it pass until things...
I actually managed to get by completely without the use of electrolytic capacitors in one device - the amp for the Stax SR001MK2 electrostatic in ear headphones. Only for the experiment, as permanent version would require the place for the batteries to be usurped for the bigger capacitors, some chopping of the box, etc. But one day, I will do it permanently. I remember my producer to comment while listening to the masters just recorded the previous day : ".... this sounds...
Yes, tiny portable devices can do that nowadays.  But ask yourself - how many are out there ? Astell & Kern come to mind - and latest top smartphones that allow for USB hosting use of DSD/DXD capable portable DACs.  Average user will probably limit the format needs at about what Neil Young's Pono is offering - and that assumption I consider to be optimistic. It is probably the wisest choice based on the commercial aspect of the whole musical business - but not the best...
Well, each time I incrementally improved the resolution ( from the mic capsule to the monitoring HPs - including of course recorder(s) ) - there was a mild improvement using redbook CD standard recorder.  But it really came to life with DSD. I probably did not use precise enough wording - timing. Meant was actually pulse response - or high frequency limitting in redbook CD. Redbook (or any PCM for that matter, including DXD ) can not react fast enough to record an...
Please define "very modest requirements to run lossless audio". Which audio format was meant by that ? When native DSD and DXD are required, these two do not represent modest requirement - at least not for the average user .
Yes, you assumed correctly - meant was audio frequency, from around 25 kHz to half that - to cover for loss in hearing due to age etc. I like your analogy of two separate images before they blend together in motion to how closely spaced two sounds could be before they would blend together audibly into a single tone. Precisely that was initial negative reaction from the choir when I swiched from redbook CD recording to DSD - they lamented they no longer "blend together" on...
It could have been a batch problem - and certainly hope not some fake problem. But a dry electrolytic capacitor is a dry electrolytic capacitor. Be it as it may, I FAR prefer film caps and use them whenever there is a mildest chance for them to fit to the volume available. That goes usually up to 47 uF, ocassionally streeeetching that to 100 or so uF. Trouble is, any PCB borded by film caps of these value in any normal quantity required is going to look extremely untidy -...
Great to hear the opposite regarding Blackgate - enjoy while it lasts .