Posts by analogsurviver

Regarding the first question - whether is there any PCM recording that is actually "good enough" and commercially available - sincerely, I do not know.  Except mine - of course. But I do not want to be forced to wave the "member of the trade" flag as yet - so I can not point you to the links where at least CDs are available. I would really love to arrive to the point some high rez downloads will become available - and even more so the DSD. The last one is particularly...
Very good post. True on all counts. I purposely did not go into requirement/frequency/impedance related considerations for capacitors. Why? Because I wanted to specifically point out the "memory" of capacitors. It is bad because it is hidden. If anyone thinks It is not clear to me what the dynamic range is, that person is hopelessly mistaken :  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_rangeThe same if anyone thinks that I think the dynamic range of electrolityc capacitor is...
No problem - with all the money and time in the world at my disposal, I would be hunting one down as we speak...It also depends whether you can/are willing to rehaul it yourself or you will have to pay others to do it  - in the end , it all boils down to money. One thing is for sure, B&O will hardly ever be best bang for the buck - but it can be (quite close to ) the best. Good luck !
It is a can of worms even likes of myself do not dare to come close. In principle LOTS of going for them - I did comment on B&O having one of the best direct drive systems in existence - but the platters they used and their assumption  that super non damped ultra light alu platter is going to perfectly damp the resonances created in the record by the tracking with a stylus borders on the best approximation of wishful thinking imaginable. It is a HIIGHLY exclusive system -...
Well, electrolytics have one thing in common with moving magnet phono cartridges. They do "kind of" work "well enough" - and they once , like the moving magnet cartridge, were the only reasonable game in town. There is, of course, a difference between the two. Moving magnet cartridge, or at least the majority of them, have problems due to the limited frequency response.It is due to the LRC filtering that occurs WELL WITHIN the audible frequency range for the vast majority...
I knew it will have to resurface one day; I got to see it in flesh some 5 years ago in a second hand shop in my home town, but never heard it in action. Technics SA-1000 IS a beast !
Yes. Depending how you look at it and depending the quality of the electrolytic capacitor, it is around the whole of                                                                                                     40 dB.  I did not want to provide the following link upfront, because it is a direct linkhttp://www.reliablecapacitors.com/pickcap.htmto the capacitor manufacturer. Yet it is the only complete coverage of the article : Picking up capacitorsWalter G. Jung and...
Please wait a bit for that answer - I would like you all to realize what is behind this in reality. It is NOT a simple answer, it is NOT due to a single cause, although it can be related more or less to the imperfections of capacitors.  I can not say anything specifically for the Ultrasone Pro 2900 - because have never listened to them. Yet the principle applies universally, with better headphones making the difference among amplifiers more obvious. IF the signal up to...
Absolutely not true. Of course first and formost is the miking; IF everything is perfect in advance, there is NO mixing required - at all.  And once you have the "signal" of this quality, it is impossible to neglect what digital formats are doing to the soundstage. A multimiked recording is inherently incapable of achieving the degree of realism I am striving for - Sheffield once issued a (double?) LP with the same performance captured symultaniously both  with a stereo...