or Connect

Posts by analogsurviver

Great ! Those mikes from B&K are still reference quality for measurements. Also great to know that your kgsshv- carbon runs on 20 mA - exactly enough to go to 20 kHz at full volume with approx 120 pF load. I know which size it must be - big. Class A amps have got to cool one way or another - and cooling fan is NOT an option.  Back in the day, I went beyond these figures - to 60 mA+ and single ended supply of 1700 V DC using tubes. For my own ES earspeakers - this voltage...
It is "questionable" what linear is. For high frequencies, it will mean SMALL diameter diaphragm - or else polar pattern will be anything but good - more important than a few dB off on axis in real life.  Microphone measurements are the most tedious and expensive. TBH - only manufacturers - and their agents (in case of Bruel & Kjaer/DPA ) are truly qualified to measure them. In the whole history of the home audio press, there was 1 ( in a word : one ) comparative review of...
That sounds pretty good to me. You are likely within the tolerances of test records ( I have long ago stopped using them for nominally recorded signals, now I observe how accurately cartridges play their defects ...) - so it , for all practical purposes, does not get any better. Nice to hear that Miyajima works so well ! It should on paper, but getting a first hand confirmation is always nice. Enjoy spinnin'.
I'll ask him ( or her - female bats supposedly hear even higher ) if you pay him/her enough... 
 We can start at the bottom : Panasonic WM-61A http://industrial.panasonic.com/lecs/www-data/pdf/ABA5000/ABA5000CE22.pdf It is spec'd up to 20 kHz ( and is remarkably linear, better than many much more expensive capsules ) - but it goes MUCH higher. Just grab a bag of 10 or 20 pcs and measure and make pairs - but they are used for burglar alarms, as they pick up the sound of breaking glass really well - and that aint lowly 20 kHz. The price for a single WM-61 capsule  is...
False. http://www.earthworksaudio.com/microphones/qtc-series-2/qtc50/ Just look at the specs for QTC 30, QTC40, QTC50. There is always a matched pair - with even tighter specs. And there is M50 - a selected basically QTC 50 . Also available as matched pair. There are other makes - but with less info available online.
Only regarding the microphone - I said the other is a Bruel A Kjaer Measuring microphone - presumably very linear to 100 kHz. Exact type will be known on Monday. It is a good suggestion to use some absorptive material that kicks in at  select frequencies. Trouble is, it is not ABXable for others - one can not stash that into a computer for other members to test on their end of the globe. Which brings us to square one. Never had the "pleasure" of sitting behind a similar,...
Now say also that keeping the contacts clean and treated by various chemicals specifically designed to seal and protect them against corrosion, wear and tear is not audible - and you are complete. These chemicals were first developed for military - you do not want a plane etc to fail due to poor contatcts - do you ? Regardles if audio is used in home environment or in studio or on location outdoors, it is still far less hostile environment than in a plane. But it helps...
Fair enough.
I am not cable crazy guy - far from it. I do not approve or like LOTS of audiophile cables with prices that defy any reason - like 5 figure for speaker cables, for example. These little oil cables are good. How about listening to them - you may be surprised. Then again, no affiliation with either maker or seller(s).