Posts by analogsurviver

Yup... - THE way to grasp the meaning of primeval dust
It is not an addition of new category of gear to my arsenal, it is the replacement (with much better capabilities) for my Hameg scope that gave up ghost   about a month ago. It did set me back for a month of measurements. Think of a situation when you were super prepared for a bike race ( on a velodrome, where you waited 5 years to be able to compete ) - and on the eve preceding the race your frame broke down...NO way to replace it, time too short, even if money was not an...
I will tell the story of my as of lately late Hameg HM203-6 scope some other time. I was most seriously considering Philips ( Fluke in US ) scope PM3065 http://www.ebay.de/itm/SUPER-PREIS-Fluke-2-Kanal-100-MHz-Oszilloskop-PM3065-/350981635332?pt=Mess_Pr%C3%BCftechnik&hash=item51b822bd04 It has one deciding advantage - the contacts for amplitude and time base , the Aichille's heel of both Tektronix and Hameg mechanical switches, is carried out with reed relais in...
Here, the grime is all but removed from the pebbled surface - couple of minutes later, it was perfectly clean again.   5. Wipe off the remnants of the WD40 with a white paper towel - yuck IS the correct reaction:     Now you have to clean the surface with paper towel moistened with solution for hand washing of the dishes; again, DAMP to VERY sparingly wet will do; do not skimp on paper towels, you can get a "truckload" of those for one piece of...
Tell me about it....
So, here the promised. First the pics of my new scope as delevered by the ebay seller:   Here remnants of the double sided tape once securing the pouch ( with probes, cables etc ) to the top of the smaller enclosure are clearly visible.   In the upper left hand corner you can see the last calibration sticker (green circle with dates etc, this one was officially calibrated up to 6/12).     These two pics show the detail of the remnants of the round sticker...
Oh, I see... I was "dressed" well - by the Stereobest, a yearly "compilation" issued as special issue of Italian Stereoplay in the late 70s (yearly); showcasing usually latest/greatest from the Tokyo fair. After seeing those prices, top Audio Research or Mark Levinson or Threshold or whatever western equipment was mid-fi - at best.  It really did not matter if the first digit with yen price was 1 or 9 - because there were at least TWO zeroes too much at the end for my...
Liked that wheel and always will....
Something along my expectations. 3.0 = $10K ?
I only googled the link you have provided above (gallery) - NEVER heard of Palmer before ( I am 98,7654321 % of the time at present time & say last 5 years into recording music and upping the ante with recording equipment to the be$t of my abilititie$) , devoting  what little remains to mostly perfecting the Sleeping Beauty . ( And a cartridge I hope will be able to establish itself in the market this time around ). I like the outboard power supply, I like the use of the...