or Connect

Posts by analogsurviver

Why do tickets for concerts, opera, sports events, etc, cost differently ? Because from some seats, you can hear and see better - therefore different pricing. Same with recordings - Linn has policy of pricing MP3s the lowest, 192/24 or DSD/physical SACD disc the highest - and everything in between. I am not saying its prices are high or low, just that I find this style differentiation fair. Native DSD   https://www.nativedsd.com/ ( you can download some free tracks if...
It is why people should use linear tracking arms - exclusively! Only in this case is returning a crooked stylus really warranted - no antiskating to mess the things up. Please reduce the antiskating to zero during geometry checks - that "crooked " stylus may well straighten up without undue bias - it is required only when the record is turning, not when stationery. But the stylus is important to be in the line - even if cartridge looks crooked. I will show this in great...
I have checked regarding that 113 dB readig with the friend in question. The app used was https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bti.soundMeterI am awaiting his reply regarding the accuracy of that meter - against his Conrad SPL meter (nothing special, but solid and good value) . Will report what his reply would be - but the reading on the IIRC Samsung Galaxy 6? REALLY did show 113 dB. Could be error/fluke - will report ASAP. But, without a doubt, it was LOUD....
I can not hear above 14 kHz - sine wave. In my best days, I could hear just below 19 kHz - FM pilot tone etc never did bother me. But in those days, I could bring the operator of audiology test to tears - because I could have indicated each and every sliding potentiometer etc flaw - by hearing signals whenever there should be total silence, etc, etc. I am still good at it, but years have certainly taken their toll. I wrote why hearing ability over 20>18>15>10 kHz is not...
Use a 2 point protractor to confirm. Onkyo's TTs have a somewhat shorter effective length arms and there is some "foul play" regarding the geometry involved; I would not be surprised if the correct cartridge alignment as verified by a protractor will not be half a degree or more off the perfectly parallel.  Groove sees the stylus, not headshell.
Yes. No good headphones or loudspeaker, no good sound. In 1986, I designed electrostatic headphone system ( headphones + amplifier ), which, when heard by a friend who helped me with the design of the amp, beat then brand new Sennheiser Orpheus by a country mile. Senn was a 30.000 DEM (approx 15K$ BEFORE customs in US ) - and I have (censored) custom made electronic elements in that amp, never made available to anybody else. It is deadly ( voltage x current ) - many times...
It is much like in the last days of the piston driven airplanes - one can argue whether it is 810 km/h at such and such altitude and such and such wind - or it is 812.58 km/ h by another plane with yet 1000 HP more under the hood under slightly different conditions - to everyone it was clear the future are jet propelled aircraft. CD, as well as piston driven aircraft, has finite limitations. And it is response to a hair above 20 kHz for CD and speed approx 800 km/h ( do...
Sorry, no point arguing that computer has got to have enough juice to perform its task flawlessly. I did post the Audiogate link and you can try if you do not believe - I can not recreate exactly the same computer environment as yours to tell you at which setting it does start to misbehave. These are PERSONAL computers - and each is set differently over time. I only wrote (n+1) times you can not ABX DSD vs PCM in Foobar2000 - because it needs to be converted to PCM in...
Hehe - try similar for MANY singers - at least half of which male - for whom I hope they do not feel love for me - males, that is. But they do care about me - because they like my recordings of their singing. Unscientific - yes; less real because of that - no.
 Please go to Computer audiophile - these computer audio things change so damn fast, I purposely did not want to link anything from the vanguard of this push for the increased performance - iFi Audio. There are threads here on head-fi, I have just seen they succeeded with firmware update for the MAC users to be finally capable of playing back DSDs with IFi DSD capable DACs, etc, etc - ALMOST ON DAILY BASIS...Same for Androids now kind of coming of age when DSD playback OTG...