Posts by analogsurviver

Sonically best would be batteries (because of extremely low internal resistance) - sealed lead/acid batteries are available in 4.5 V, although they are hard to get, probably easier in the USA ( the only 4.5 V battery I did see in shops here is made in USA ). But it is relatively big, awkward and ungainly looking - and you have to make the cable, charging etc by yourself. You can also use external enclosures for AA bateries - 3 NiZn cells in series would give you nominally...
To those interested in comparing the PCM vs DSD, Channel Classics is offering free downloads of samples http://www.channelclassics.com/try-it-now in PCM as FLACs 44.1/ 96/192 kHz and DSD64 ( and ocassionally DSD 5 channel ) - including the front page and booklet .    You can use Korg Audiogate software not only to convert from DSD to PCM (and vice versa, if required ) - but to use it as a player. http://www.korguser.net/audiogate/en/download.html With rather recently...
It is no different, whenever is the polarity inverted in the absolute sense. It can be practically inverted many times in either the recording and/or reproducing chain; as long as the listener is presented with the correct absolute polarity, it is OK.This is done because sometimes various electrical circuits that do offer other advantages ( lower noise...) are used despite being absolute polarity inverting.  From decades of experience listening to phono cartridges/records...
No. You can not perform A/B switching of moving coil cartridge signal levels without introducing more problems than different power supplies can cause. These pre-preamps also are quiet enough that for the best performance regarding picking up hum field from nearby equipment, that they require exactly the same phisycal positioning - and two objects can not be at the same time in the same spot. These differences are admittedly small - but they are consistent in the long run....
Conditionally true - both the table and the arm in stock form lack the precision required to deserve such a rating. It is true that for the $$$ you can not get anything comparable new.  HOWEVER - and that is a big however - Rega RB 250 can be made into http://www.audiomods.co.uk/ This thing starts by lapping the cartridge mounting platform into perfectly flat surface - not Rega's unmachined cast part that is anything but flat. I could go on for pages ... it is detail after...
To be blunt - it was with stock and modified amplifier of the same type, with levels matched to within a scope trace - and you just can not patch all the connections for a true A/B - or at least I do not have that capability. Listening was done at the upper extreme for a normal level listening - nothing out of ordinary, say peak of 100 dB. With headphones - to exclude room noise.  It could also be done in the middle of the night with speakers - provided no neighbours in...
In principle, you are right. In practice, amps DO influence sonics. I thought that channel separation of 90 dB 20Hz-20kHz was enough, that any further improvemnt will bring nothing.Boy, was I wrong. I went from approx 90 dB to approx 100 dB (or more, could no longer see the crosstalk on the oscilloscope ). It WILL NOT show up on A/B test - because the switch/difference is too small in duration. After listening to a "90 dB separation" amp and switching to a "100 dB...
I spy a Stanton/Pickering cart presently on the Rega - which model is it? I would be interested how do you find the Nagaoka MP11 after Stanton/Pickering in comparison. Curios - what is the object near the portable rig to the left - record weight/clamp ?
I would appreciate if you can point to some referene(s) regarding our hearing mechanism and absolute polarity - I can hear it, but it would be nice to see confirmation in print. I agree sawtooth can be used - and it is audible one way or another;  but as it is next to nonexistant in real world, I prefer to use real instruments. Speaker AND headphones/IEMs DO interfere with demonstrating the effect. That is why I prefer using full range headphones or speakers, as any...
What I meant were two recordings from the same microphone in the same position - one in correct, another in inverted absolute polarity. That is why some equipment with XLRs allows for pin "inversion" - I do not have this capability.  DSD is superior to PCM in time domain/pulse response - whichever you prefer. PCM is just plain too slow - DXD included ( I have no DXD recording capability at the present ) . Time permitting, I will use signal generator and record precisely...