or Connect

Posts by analogsurviver

CEC made quite some fine TTs - both under its own brand and as OEM. As practically all my recent purchases in TTs were all CEC made, I can say that these TTs are sleepers. The thing goes so far that the entry level SME TT was completely CEC built device.  For the money, one can hardly do better.
ES amps are actually the ones that will be most under the magnifying glass for their performance - because, if well implemented, electrostatic drivers will reveal - well, everything. When developing my own ES amp I learned quite some tricks. In nutshell - it took me over two years to get it to really sing, where strictly from the circuit schematics orthodox traditionalists hanging mainly in Sound Science threads here on Head-Fi would have said "it is all the very same...
From the closing concert of the ISCM 2015 in Ljubljana :  http://4d.rtvslo.si/arhiv/koncerti/174373073
I am also interested in this. As T1 (aka FiiO EX-1 ) has very poor sound isolation, but scores in every other category for me better than T3/5, I would like to hear comments how much better is isolation on T1es - as it has only one vent hole facing the ear, exactly like the T5. I am not crazy about the SQ on the go, but , despite my love for T1/EX-1, found them far too leaky of the environment sound. I do find soundstage important, therefore I do use and cherish Havi B3...
 good old days. There was also green font on dark purple stock - even harder to copy. Love him or hate him, in any fair judgement he belongs to mavericks in audio measurements and subjective description. His publications are pricey - the alternative which lives mostly off advertising will prove even more costly - to the consumer ...
Same blues here - but still I find graphs useful. I miss those days Peter Moncrieff has been publishing good stuff ... - his phono cartridge reviews still are unmatched anywhere.
Although I do agree retail prices are too high, you obviously have not set foot lately even in electronic parts store - normal, not audiophile one - let alone in a " shop" capable of anything approaching the precision required to manufacture the stators of the new Orpheus . Normal audio piece of electronics per default costs the manufacturer about 20 % of the retail price - you have to cover for R&D, distribution, advertising, service and support. Super cutting edge...
Well, Italian audio press in those days was perhaps the best possible mix between objective (measurements) and subjective commentary available anywhere. They would translate the The Absolute Sound review of a particular piece of audio gear - followed by, with a month or two delay, their own take both on measurements and listening on the same piece of gear. What is of particular value today is the fact that things were being measured under the very same conditions for...
Well, this makes for TWO independent third party measurements, confirming the very same thing; IE800 RINGS. Its pulse response is a mess, in both samples tested by Tyll and in this case, too. It is also visible in decay response, there are differences between the two channels, everything the most pronounced in the 8-15 kHz region (depending on sample tested ) etc - and it concurs with my auditioning of IE800 at Munich show in May. There was persistent high pitched "noise"...
Well, reading measurements does not require (much) Italian - a graph is a graph. A particularly detailed report on Shure V15 IV is here : http://www.suono.it/La-rivista/Archivio/(pub)/56728( I still have it in paper ! ) Too bad there are no (at least to my knowledge ) tests from Suono available online.