Posts by analogsurviver

I concur with the first part entirely. Regarding P.S. I have to say that I am both ecstatic and aghast by the DSD512 - at the same time. Ecstatic is easy to understand - who would not like to have a better product ? Aghast is a bit harder to understand for the average listener. The recording gear for DSD256 does not exist for more than 2 years, meaning there are hardly any true DSD256 recordings available. At the moment, there are no DSD512 capable commercially available...
We all wish for our sports bulldozers with low mileage... !
I have only seen and heard DQ-20 once - at SIM audio fair, Milan, Italy, either 1979 or 1986. I remember it sounding "nothing special" - but since then I did learn that "nothing special/nothing to comment about" is the hallmark of the upper echelons of anything audio. In that sense, it certainly is better than DQ-10.
Audio advisor Record Doctor V and Kabusa KAB EV-1 are more reasonable, better and not exhorbitantly more expensive options. A rare record, a single one, may well cost more than either of the above RCMs. One possibility for keeping the record labels dry while liquid cleaning:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vinyl-Stack-Record-Cleaner-Label-Protector-45s-33s-78s-/160673353773 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeU_3cO8agg Another, more DIY approach (by the same Joe?)...
THE bette noire of LP records is the label - in MORE ways than most can imagine. It is for the 99,9999% non standardized and as many variations exist as there were/are record plants. The labels differ, one hell of a lot. That is why label area protectors, under various names, are/have been available. One label might be tottaly unaffected by water, another might peel off, yet another might get blurry, yet another totally unreadable after such a bath as in this video. If...
In the same system that featured nano iDSD - at 189 $/Euro . I have more than enough great phono stages. Therefore phono preamps at pretty low interest to me at the moment - and in the future. But the way iFi is tackling things, I believe it is an excellent product - at equally excellent price.
I wish you to suceed !
I am about to start "moonlighting" with another iFi product - the hardly believable micro iDSD. Did not particularly well check up their phono, but if it is made with 10% of determination of the micro iDSD, must still be an awesome product ... Currently enjoying a DSD128 needledrop trough their nano iDSD while typing this .
After hearing what ultrasonic cleaning brings to the table, there is only one course of action left for me - to DIY my own, can not afford 4K$. And might decide to pre-clean first with the roller, than Knosti ( EU variant of Spin Clean ) , finally going to ultrasonic. Here things become a bit problematic; to vacuum WITHOUT physical contact, blow off excess liquid, and/or just leave to naturally dry ?? Commercially available ultrasonic cleaners differ most in this last step...
This business of cleaning the record first with the lower quality cleaning first, followed by another better option is as old as the hills - carbon fibre brush > roller cleaning > Spin Clean/ Knosti > Vacuum > Ultrasonic ;the idea is always the same, to prevent the better cleaning system to get contaminated/used prematurely. In your example, you try to get as clean record to reach the nozzle of Okki Nokki, which can get clogged/contaminated, necessitating not so...