or Connect

Posts by analogsurviver

Hmmm... please specify, exactly, the signal paths from the source to the speakers/headphones, for both of the mentioned possibilities. And do take care whether it is an "input" or "output"... Otherwise, congrats on your new gear - it looks very nice ! 
FM is intended for not beyond horizon distances ( although in a pinch *can* work slightly beyond that limitation ). "On the sunny side of the Alps" was/is the old tourist slogan for my country - Slovenia - which most of Americans will have little trouble finding out where it is - by mentioning it is some 100 miles east of the little known town in Italy that also goes by the name of Venice... So, I can not give you any direction for SQ of FM stations in the USA - "slightly"...
I am aware of everything mentioned - and ever more digital is creeping in FM sterep broadcasting, ever worse it sounds. OK for the "average" user (who wants a "clean" signal ), catastrophe for high quality audio.  There are, fortunately, few stations within my reach that are OK both musically and technically. But on average, FM has unfortunately become crap best avoided. Under most favourable conditions, great live FM stereo broadcast is the best sound available out of...
No worries - Technics did know their stuff, as well as anyone else. I might decide to post a FFT spectrum for the same broadcast in FM stereo with or without the filter - that 19 kHz pilot tone is, even in "unfiltered mode", quite some dB down in level. The only thing that really do go berserk in unfiltered mode are analog tape recorders. And these usually sport an MPX (19 kHz stereo pilot tone) filter onboard - just in case. I have zero trouble recording off ST-9030...
I am not familiar with the TX-8100.  Either can be used. They may or may not be identical - aside the potentiometer in the variable one, which can be used to match the output in loudness with your other source(s) in such a way that on "normal" music programme there are no radical changes in loudness when switching from say turntable to FM ( or in modern day, say from a CD or DAC ). I have Technics ST-9030 tuner from their Pro series. This one DOES deviate from "loudness...
1 MHz bandwidth? Are you serious  ? If and when they come up with a 20 MHz bandwidth version for say 500, THEN I'm interested. As it is, it is a TOY. There IS a difference between a 20 MHz and 100 MHz analog scope when measuring phono gear. Some of the garbage coming out of phono can not be seen using bandwidth limited to 20 MHz - but it IS advantageous to have this 20 / 100 MHz limiting choice, as novices are likely to get lost in the noise 100 MHz option brings. Like it...
After I catch my breath from recent recording rush/frenzy, I will post TT setup using Oscilloscope. The trouble is that I do not have a decent camera and photos of the dynamic oscilloscope screen are a big PITA at the moment...
Nope - FAR too expensive to put right to qualify for peanut$. It can be done, though. At a price.
Yes - and no. Because one can not PRECISELY predict just how much vintage second hand gear will cost. IF you have time - and are not pressed into buying "something/anything" ASAP, IF you have done your homework on potentially great but for one reason or another "overlooked" gear, IF you do not have two left hands and can do basic repair and some modding - then, with quite a bit of luck, you can come up with with next-to-miracles. It really IS crazy little money - sometimes...
Ahem... - I used to work at our only microelectronics plant, some 30 years ago; and unfortunately DO know relative price$ and equipment limitation$. It is a part of being analogsurviver - I was considering - more than 10 years ago - something like AnalogDieHard; but I see nothing particularly attractive in dying... Being realistic is a part of the analog diet - you can easily go past 1M mark ( there is a TT at cool 500.000 EUR; you need cart say 35 K , you "need" some...