Posts by analogsurviver

I actually like the unboxing video done by somebody obviously new to ifi or this kind of level of equipment. And I sure do like your avatar - the Yellow Racer is really neat ! Assuming you are not much familiar with Hi Rez, here a few links that may be helpful to appreciate the micro BL to its fullest...
Yes, it does take uncompressed recordings for any noise issues to be picked up by the ear. And that, most usually, will be classical music. One can flip the coin into another direction; on some smartphones, the output power for headphones is barely enough for compressed pop/rock stuff - at least with headphones that do not have a well above average efficiency/sensitivity. Any high dynamic range recording would simply be too quiet even at the maximum volume control...
Yes. No. It is a typical analog potentiometer problem - but I have never before experienced similar to anything the degree in any other audio component - regardless of ( low ) price. A "serious" analog volume control ( pot or switch ) alone can be comparable, meet or exceed the cost  of the entire Micro. It would also bi bigger than whatever can be accommodated in the size/volume constraints of the Micro. Finding a decent miniature pot in large enough quantities without...
I have been quite busy these past days - making recordings. I did not visit head-fi in - a while.  A few days ago I got mail I will get to try iDSD micro Black Label. Nice!   As I type this, listening to nano iDSD, at the time from Cubot Manito android phone ( finally succumbed to getting one of those smartphones, at a reasonable price and for me mandatory support of 256Gb micro card ), foobar for android, any PCM up to 192kHz . Will try to get USB audio recorder pro...
Exactly the opposite.  Line in has usually far too low gain for the microphone. (Head)phones are (very poor) microphones. If "phone" was meant as "smartphone" or anything that can drive normal dynamic headphones, its output is generally far too high for mic preamp input.    Some gross and grouse distortion would be the result.
Well, I fear you are right - which means , IF I ever decide to go HD-650 route, I will have to get them here in Europe. Shipping + duties will probably be deal breakers - I have seen price of approx 320 EUR for HD-650, which would have made the point of going Massdrop in case of >200$ price moot.
Yes, XD-05 is suitable for high impedance cans, as it runs off + - 9V supply, enabling enough voltage swing required.. It also has its own thread here on head-fi - please check it out for partnering with relatively warm sounding HD-650s, as it in itself has similar signature.  You ( along some 20k other souls...) have just missed Massdrop*s Sennheiser HD-6xx drop - which are nothing but HD-650s with different cable/connectors and different colour - for 200 $. Hopefully,...
It all boils down to your choice. I am eyeing ( because of necessity to play DSD files up to DSD256, for computer at home and Android on the go ) Xduoo XD-05 - as it also has line input, required for dynamic headphone listening to analogue sources, be it turntable or monitoring of live music recording. The lowest price I have found is on Gearbest ( approx $160 with shipping + any import duties, sometimes same/similar price is on ebay ) . There are decent amp only solutions...
Since your TT does have inbuilt phono preamp, it outputs RIAA equalized line level signal - just what you need for your line input of your desktop computer. So far, so good. However, computers are notoriously noisy environment for audio and unless yours is specially configured for audio ( very quiet power supply, high quality sound card , actual line in input WITHOUT AtoD and DtoA conversion) , you would most likely be better off with a dedicated headphone amp. It is up to...
I am aware there is quite a few educated, skilled and experienced pro recording engineers out there - but who said the standard tools of the trade were the best ? Or the thinking one is forced to use in order to be able to use those standard tools of the trade ?  If I listen to practically all and any commercially available recordings, I can hear those "standard tools of the trade" - and not in a positive way. What is more, I would practically never use any of those -...