Posts by analogsurviver

This is precisely WHY I said DSD64 ( SACD ) should have NEVER been let out. The first really usable DSD is DSD128 - and it still is not "enough". But it is some 20 dB quieter at the same frequency (say 40 kHz) than DSD64. By the time DSD512 is reached, any noise should be low enough in level and high in frequency to allow for a "quiet" performance to 100 kHz without noise above that to be a problem for IMD with amplifiers, even without now mandatory DSD low pass...
Did not know that. At the time, Nagra was so above my budget I really did not want to look at it. Still is. But today, in times of DSD, there are other manufacturers offering similar or better quality for less money. It no longer offers the same supremacy as in analog days.
 The simplest possible home setup would be a CD player/dac (one output amplifier ) > power amplifier > speakers. 2 amps total. Most usually, there will be a preamp in between - either as a standalone unit or as a part of the integrated amplifier. 3 amps total. EACH of those amps can be regarded as cascaded input and output section - thus bringing the sum to four or six. Where are tone controls, equalizers, active filters, .... - you do use equalizer to get the speakers or...
Studio R2R decks. All of which predate amorphous heads by more than enough. But I admit, did not know Teac made consumer R2R deck with amorphous heads. That should be interesting. My dream R2R deck would be Technics 1500 or 1700 mechanics (wow and flutter better than anything else ) with amorphous heads and up to date electronics.
What @stv014 did is great. But you will never get the whole quality of the DSD file is capable of by converting it to PCM - it is a lossy process.  Then again, if you at least keep the PCM at least at 88.2 kHz sampling, DSD bounced to 88.2 will still sound better than CD Redbook.  Whether DSD or PCM, it is always better to stick to the original file played natively than using conversion.
That is WHY I do not like studios with their spiky and iffy electronics. Which is a direct consequence of the "above 20 kHz does not matter"- adopted also in studio equipment. And that is why I prefer audiophile gear that is usually MUCH better designed than studio gear. The studio gear that is OK is usually beyond the reach of almost anybody. Starting with microphone preamps... I agree there is no such thing as too low noise floor - it always comes handy.
Say six amplifiers in series, each flat to say 0.2 dB @20 kHz will not end up being at the output of the sixth amp at 0.2 dB, but worse, around - 1 dB; it would also have greater phase shifr, etc. If the amps have MHz bandwidths, than this is of no consequence for audio - and that is why I prefer them. "Amplifier" is not only a box with input and output jacks; within such a box, more actual amplifiers in series can be employed, so figure of six is a VERY optimistic for the...
Great post ! Just an update to current technology - there is a microphone capable of 100 kHz response (Sanken C100K), there is a recorder capable of recording it ( Merging Technology Horus and Hapi in DSD256 mode; exact response is not known (yet), but it certainly could reach 100 kHz @ - 3 dB if not better and a gentle roloff above, no brick filtering as required by PCM  ).  One has to ENSURE there is no low pass filtering "somewhere". In my cassette day recording, I made...
In case of debates on head fi, "single factor" that bothers me is say frequency response, THD, IMD, S/N, bitrate, sampling frequency - you name it - used in isolation as being the influential factor for determining the SQ - and that there is a limit beyond which it no longer makes sense to improve it further. Maybe so - in a SINGLE device. Any usable system consists of many links in a chain - and their defects add up. Enough of them in a series each having an error below...
There was nothing else that could support the voltage required back in 1986 but HSD ( Hollow State Devices ). I read there are some Panasonic crazy voltage SS devices either in development or already commercially available . When I heard how much they are supposed to cost, it is back to lack of air.