Posts by analogsurviver

I will try to repair the driver first - I did construct my own DIY electrostatics now almost 3 decades ago. It is not hard to do, but with Lamda Pro one is at the mercy how does it "fall apart" - whether the diaphragm remains intact or gets schreaded. Then , it means either acquiring another working driver/complete headphones - or dismantling the other working driver and replacing both diaphragms and praying that the sound does not change too much. Lambda Pro does have its...
I agree - time and money always in short supply, #1 audio priority at the moment is to get my Stax Lambda Pro back in working condition ASAP -failure of one driver something akin to lightning out of the blue, two or three days ago.
You can start here :http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch?search=headphones+with+subwoofer ...and may end up here : http://www.head-fi.org/t/2753/akg-k1000-with-subwoofer
*sigh* - it is the only "thingus" that might>may entice me to dip my toe in DSP > PCM ... Still, it would feel utter blasphemy for me to listen to analog recordin on vinyl and then having to go trough DSP. The other DSP that might entice me to do the same would have been some REALLY good virtual crossover for loudspeakers - it can be made well enough for the speaker to be actually capable of reproducing an acoustical square wave around/in the vicinity of the crossover...
Well, weight, at least in a power amplifier, DOES define the outer limits any non-digital operating amplifier can ultimately achieve. You can not have decent linear power supply without so and so much iron in transformers and so and so big ( great capacity ) capacitors - neither of which is light. And no amp can be better than its power supply - period. And to house all that, cabinet MUST be sturdy - which again drives the weight and price up. Add the necessary heat sinks...
Although possible that you can indeed hear rumble from the bearing, please try to re-confirm using variety of records. In Post Picture... thread our jeep ( who IS NOT a car, only myself still being lazy to find out how to get the right symbol from my keyboard ...) did post nice picture of rumble spectra for a IIRC Clearaudio TT - where it is clearly shown that most of the rumble comes from the record itself, the rumble/noise being measured with Thorens probe being much...
Because they do not achieve the same results. Once upon a time, they were manufacturers offering the very same circuit - in basic, "normal" and "with all the bells and whistles" quality of construction - which included varying degree of quality of the electronic components AND their tolerances, improved power supplies, sometimes dual mono construction - and one could choose which level is best in his/her circumstances.  The quality has to be balanced FROM INPUT TO OUTPUT -...
I can not vouch for the exact way these 16 and 24 bit test tracks from 2L masters were made - I simply downloaded the test tracks from head-fi, Archimago's 24-bit vs. 16-bit Audio Test - April 16, 2014  the accompanying text says april 16, 2014 - so it must have been posted around then. The tracks were Bozza - La Voia Triomphale, Vivaldi - Recitative & Aria and Goldberg - each as sample A and sample B.  I did not use any converting tools on this one - simply compared the...
iFi audio nano iDSD natively up to 384 kHz 24 bit or DSD256 - 189 $/EUR  iFi audio micro iDSD natively up to TWICE of the above -  500 $/EUR 
THAT is the RIGHT question. It IS audible - even with vinyl itself, prior there ever was any CD. In a way, a MM cartridge CAN be made with a similar frequency response as redbook - flat to 20 kHz or just slightly above, with as steep rolloff as possible above.It is a function of electrical properties of the cartridge, if it filters the response due to inductance/capacitance/resistance resulting circuit within audio range ( VERY common with normal values ) , there is no...