Posts by analogsurviver

In May, I did not hear aberrations you cited. I listened exclusively to my own master recordings ( had my modified Korg MR-1000 with a chock full HDD and used it for ALL but few listenings - that did not provide for anything that was not provided by the exhibitor - and these were mostly avoided ). My concerns about the reliability also mimic yours - only time can tell. Hope for the best !!!
Military would MUCH sooner use infra - rather than ultrasonic weapons.  Whales, who can actually produce SPLs in the range of 150 dB+, can communicate with extremely low frequencies over distances beyond 40.000 km - because the sound has to propagate trough the water, has to go "around" the continents ( and islands) - and because low frequencies sustain the minimum loss of SPL across the distance. Shoot me with an ultrasonic shooter - by raising a common book or similar...
Interesting - JVC of all people; who gave the world quadrophonic CD-4 analog record, which requires at least 45 kHz at "flat" response in order to read the carrier for demodulator - and who made one of the best phono cartridges ever - JVC X-1 .  Which is DAMN flat to 50 kHz and slightly beyond - and proved to be superior to "stereo only" carts on normal stereo material - among many others that followed suit. I regard JVC very highly - they did contribute immensely to...
Sure - I did post the Boyk  link several times in the past, I merely stated the instrument that is relatively widespread and known to general audience and can be listened to on relatively regular intervals in any given series of classical music concerts. No need to travel to Bali ( or few places that have a true gamelan in their inventory). Muted trumpet and some other instruments can go beyond 100 kHz - but as VERY few microphones and recorders can reach that high (...
Agreed. But simply could not resist - because if not important in classical music, where else could sound quality be important ? There are quite few threads about HE-1000 on head-fi already - if so inclined, please go over there. I merely wanted to stress the importance of cans of this merit to the listeners of classical music. 
I fiercely agree - and equally fiercely disagree. At "measly" 4K, you simply can not have anything like approaching the SQ of the HE-1000 with loudspeakers - because you need ROOM. Which, if it wants to support ANY loudspeaker to be even a pale shadow of the precision available from HE-1000, WILL be many, many times the price of the cans. Even if you get those 4K$ speakers - for free... I was turbo extremely pleasantly surprised by the SQ ultimately available from...
Did you - EVER - feel zapped by ultrasonics during the live concert involving harpsichord ? Harpsichord can hardly be classified as a LOUD instrument .. It IS the instrument that has the most ultrasonic output within the range up to approx 50 kHz ( the current limit of my mics/recorders at the present time ). I agree more research/proof will have to be done - yet there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that limiting the harpsichord to CD redbook is detrimental to the...
Oh - I can be accused of ANYTHING but the lack of respect of things such as good miking. A well placed mike and Sony WMD-6(C) pro cassette walkmanhttp://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/wm-d6c.shtmlwould drive the nonexistent theorethically perfect recorder with just slightly worse positioned mike right into the ground ... If others had gone anywhere near the lengths I went regarding microphones and their positioning, they would have realised the benefits of DSD128 -...
Up to 009 - 009 not yet. I own Stax Lambda Pro/Monitor ED-1/SRM1MK2 and SRM 001MK2 . However - having designed my own ES earspeaker system back in 1986, having finally heard Orpheus in Munchen this year ( far too noisy environment for a headphone of this calibre, inability to hear my own master recordings on it - underwhelmed, to say the least - but I would like to audition it once properly ...) - electrostatics do lack one all important  quality - effortless extension in...
 I is the sound as recorded by the GoPro HERO 2 camera - with the automatic gain riding all the time, stereo separation that is next to non-existant, etc, etc - it is NOWHERE near the true sound of either the hall or the recording proper. Here another month or so old concert of the same duo in another church, made from MP3 192 kbps ( for playing on the national radio - they never give even this "hirez" MP3 to the performers if they are doing the recording ... ).  Here,...