Posts by analogsurviver

I watched his DVDs on the subject. Nothing new to me.
Bruckner is something I still wish and have to digest; I have heard great many good things abot Celibidache : It is 10 years since I am no longer in CD retail, but I remember selling quite a few of the whole EMI sets. Celibidache's tempi are slow, much slower than  on average; yet it usually holds together surprisingly well. Here some more thoughts on the performances and some technical difficulties with CDs experienced that now seem to be fixed...
+1.
I used my Asus 1005HA netbook - it is not enough for the "normal" phones, let alone B3 Pro 1. Dynamics, and above bass, takes a "hit too far" . Think of a fashion model, anorexic enough for your first thought after seeing her, is to be getting her some/any food ...  Quite some phones are "power plants" compared to 1005HA netbook - so it MIGHT be possible .
Well, I am old school - and dap ( Digital Audio Player ? ) does not score high on my Richter Scale. Havi B3 are good enough to use even with the best of analog sources. No idea what DX90 might be - but I would consider getting http://www.head-fi.org/t/683406/ifi-audio-nano-idsd-announced + a smartphone capable of using it with DSD recordings. DSD enhances the already extraordinarily good soundstage of B3 even further.
It is a !"#$%&/()=?* ( a curse more juicy than anything possible in English ) to get it right. It has to be completely disassembled, cleaned and reassembled with the proper care to eliminate all the leaks possible - which is Mission ( Next to ) Impossible. The two valves can not be interchanged, you have to work with extreme caution - damage any rubber seal or part(s) in the valve(s) proper - game over.  I will be uploading the manual and "service manual cross-section...
Stylus = Needle - and it is replaceable. True that stylus is cheaper than entire cartridge - but that can mean cartridge can become next to worthless if there are no replacement styli left. Ortofon stopped production of these styli ages ago and supply is now definitely limited. Some claim the M20E Super to be the best Ortofon - ever. In the right arm ( low effective mass, good bearings, etc = Dual quality and up ) and into the proper electrical load, it can sound amazing....
Duals can be loads of fun, provided they sit on a decent support - their suspension/isolation no match for say AR/Thorens/Linn type of suspended turntable.  If you are satisfied with the sound, I suggest getting the spare stylus for that Ortofon; modern day shallow cartridges are very rare, more recent but discontinued nevertheless are Linn MCs ( Asak, Asaka, Klyde ) - but these are a bit pricey to use on the Duals and are too low compliance for the low mass Dual arms. You...
I have a VERY ambivalent "relationship" with Duals - they are a strange mix of precision and sloppiness, put together more cheaply than does them good, yet more sucessful models do produce music quite well in the end.Their forte are the tonearms, particularly the top models qith the Q suffix, meaning they incorporate dynamic damping of the cartridge/tonearm resonance. They also tend towards the necessity to use VERY shallow cartridges, particularly favouring older Ortofon...
Some good deals on AKG from the official distributor in Slovenia :   http://www.fff.si/Default.aspx   K271 MK II   - 79 EUR K240 Studio - 49 EUR K141 MK II   - 59 EUR K121 Studio - 49 EUR   + shipping. NOT shown online, online store showing regular, much higher prices. New/sealed, limited QTY, as long the supply lasts, warranty according to laws in Slovenia, shipping a bit pricier than on average within EU .   Still probably a good deal, worth checking out (...