Posts by analogsurviver

Duals can be loads of fun, provided they sit on a decent support - their suspension/isolation no match for say AR/Thorens/Linn type of suspended turntable.  If you are satisfied with the sound, I suggest getting the spare stylus for that Ortofon; modern day shallow cartridges are very rare, more recent but discontinued nevertheless are Linn MCs ( Asak, Asaka, Klyde ) - but these are a bit pricey to use on the Duals and are too low compliance for the low mass Dual arms. You...
I have a VERY ambivalent "relationship" with Duals - they are a strange mix of precision and sloppiness, put together more cheaply than does them good, yet more sucessful models do produce music quite well in the end.Their forte are the tonearms, particularly the top models qith the Q suffix, meaning they incorporate dynamic damping of the cartridge/tonearm resonance. They also tend towards the necessity to use VERY shallow cartridges, particularly favouring older Ortofon...
Some good deals on AKG from the official distributor in Slovenia :   http://www.fff.si/Default.aspx   K271 MK II   - 79 EUR K240 Studio - 49 EUR K141 MK II   - 59 EUR K121 Studio - 49 EUR   + shipping. NOT shown online, online store showing regular, much higher prices. New/sealed, limited QTY, as long the supply lasts, warranty according to laws in Slovenia, shipping a bit pricier than on average within EU .   Still probably a good deal, worth checking out (...
"Collateral Damage #XY.0xZ" - while an acquaintance steered me towards the Tascam DA-3000 DSD recorder (damn - it looks like it will HAVE to be my next purchase - simply too much going for it ...), I eventually landed to the DSD thread on What Is Best forum :    http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?11944-DSD-Battle-Royale!   and the member Bruce B has posted DSD64  and PCM 192/24 complete album samples of quite interesting music for free, some recordings that...
Record/(mat)/platter interface is THE #1 requirement in analog record reproduction. It is an area really poorly understood, and that is because people just do not realize how SMALL vibration is actually happening during the process.  The maximum amplitude of the cutting is approximately 120 micrometers. That is VERY rarely encountered in practice; even the 90 micrometer levels are extremely rare in anything but top recordings. Most commercial releases are limited to about...
Careful what you wish for - it *might* come true :  
Hard to say - it became my go-to-everything headphone, so it is receiving at least 5 hours active listening a day. Safe bet would be 300 + . At the moment listening to the famous FM station Radio Študent - their transmitter is approx 7 km from my home, so it is pure analog FM - sometimes the lack of money to "updowngrade" to digital is an audiophile's godsend. Every now and then, they air superb Koncert Radia Študent ( Concert of Radio Student , concerts live direct from...
This is a nice attempt to solve the record/mat/platter inteface - with 1210 in stock form, I can even believe it actually resulted in sound as described. How this can help at very far from flat records is something beyond my comprehension - it should make warped records even worse.
Early bird catches the worm ... I am REALLY interested how this particular "bird" will look like in say 10 years:  
Answer to the original question - Havi B3 ( Pro,  Original Old Version ). Providing B6 is B3 with a bit more bass, a bit smoother treble and being less power hungry while retaining all the other virtues of B3 - THAT would be awesome.