Posts by analogsurviver

The proof of the pudding is in eating it - isn't it ? Or in this case, listening. This is not something only me will attest to be true - you can go to the Best classical recording ever thread here on head-fi, download the entire Bach organ works in AAC256 I posted link there - for free - and listen to them straight and as converted DSD128 and higher - and THEN tell me what SOUNDS more realistic to you.Stepping foot in a church and listening to some real organ may provide...
Something else we may agree on.  No matter how we look at it, it is the real thing. We as audience do not get "quieter treatment" than during the recordings - that is certain to be true.
Alarm sensors and emergency lights (which can also emit ultrasonics ) are prescribed to be ON by the law - at least whenever people are in the building. Else, the police, fire department or security is  obliged to come for a check if everything is in order - and those visits are not free. It varies in regulation across the globe, but for these reasons , people responsible are VERY reluctant to turn off anything that might result in a "visit" and a resulting fee - even...
Although not directly applicable to the FFT noise spike, you can test your PC  if it has the performance required for conversions on the fly etc by downlading jRiver http://www.jriver.com/  free trial. There is a benchmark test in its Help menu and in jRiver's blog you can figure out how many "points" are required for certain operation(s).    It can be simple playback of MP3 - up to converting on the fly while performing correction for the acoustics of the room or EQing...
Australia is a "strange" place for phono equipment.  The prices can fluctuate wildly and in the conditions of limited supply it can mean all sorts of things. Try to see if there are any Ortofon cartridges at nice prices left down under - there were times prices were nice enough for importing them back to Europe, regardless of customs etc. They used to be on australian ebay - but it seems this source has dried up according to today's "pass" on the australian ebay. Anyone...
All valid and good suggestions. But, in that FFT noise "appearing out of nowhere", one can not do that. The input is already a "preconverted" file, it needs not to be converted from one file type to any other type file on the fly - it is 96/24 from Linn. "All" it has to perform is FFT - and it STILL noises.  Be as it may, AFTER I have my PC back in order, I will install that FFT software - and can only pray my hardware is fast/powerful enough . On that Atom processor...
It holds true regarding hirez, too ...
I did not try to change the topic. Just present the situation as I see it. Europe is, again, FAR from being with as equal prices regarding internet as the USA - goes for upload too. There is a thread here on head-fi listing most of the sources for hirez - I erronously deleted that bookmark. There are quite a few in Asia - the most known and with interesting programme is e-onkyo. Some are in this link : https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/free-hi-res-music/ That there is no...
OK, as you wish. It may hold true in the USA, it may not hold true in lots other parts of the world internet coverage is poorer. And dearer. Still, what is being purchased with hirez is effectively more data, larger file. Since when a truckload should cost the same as one paperbag of "data" ?
Gee, FLAC or no FLAC, it IS one hell of a lot more than MP3s... Furthermore, FLAC applies to PCM, not DSD (at least as far I know ) . DSD downloads usually require unzipping - but is still much larger file than CD redbook. Please do not turn this into "my car can run for XY miles on one thimble of petrol" - or " my car can accelerate to such and such speed in so and so time - who-cares-for-consumption" pi**ing match.  Those interested can find exact figures online -...