Posts by analogsurviver

Beautiful it ain't. Just joking - RD-11S was a designed by Hamisch Robertson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linn_Products - there is very little difference from the early Linn Sondek LP12 - square section belt/motor pulley being the most notable. It has classic, timelessly good appearence. Grace G 747 ( a detacheable headshell version of more known/popular G 707 ) is, if and when working properly ( bearing adjustment(s)) , still a formidable tonearm. Despite being low mass,...
I agree that *sometimes* I go a bit overboard - and welcome this comment. However, if one accepts status quo, there will be no progress. The goal is to make analog's all shortcomings and defects unobjectionable enough to be palatable to a listener that was born after invention and with CD as primary source of music - while allowing for all the benefits analog enjoys over redbook CD or even various degrees of HiRez. That will not be reached with "cookbook" type of recipe...
Sometimes, as in this case - true. For the reasons stated. But I will continue with phono cartridge loading as promised - it will reveal the mechanisms behind various designs of phono cartridges. There are many ways to Rome - yet some are more and some less friendly to records in the long run. It is nothing new - but has generally been ignored both in press and online for a considerable amount of time, so a bit of dusting off might remind older users of analog what they...
Sorry - for most of you on this thread, this is a hobby. I have been trying to perfect the reproduction from vinyl record from my late teens - from say 17 to until present day. So far, manufacturers have been coming up with small incements in performance in turntables - and charged premium for each and every one of them. Linn Sondek is a very good example; basically the same design, with ever small increments in design/performance over the years/decades, latest fully...
It is THE thing that really matters.  To the point I am not willing to disclose or share this hard learned knowledge - will probably result in a Kickstarter. 
 Nice. I still need to restore my Mandaric custom built frame from Reynolds 531CS steel tubing.  I scream, you scream, they scream - we all scream for ice cream !  But please, do not STEAL our STEEL bikes ...
The styly are very sensitive. The better they are, the more sensitive they are. In lower priced styly, cantilevers are metal tube ( mostly Aluminium ) and diamonds are bush or shank mounted. These may or not may have suspension tensioning wire (which is never visible but burried within the stylus/cartridge) that is also susceptible to rough handling of the stylus. This tension wire is usually made from steel and if the stylus gets a stroke/jolt outside its normal moving...
+1; or something to that effect.
I am aware of that. Be WAS used extensively for phono cartridge cantilevers - no manufacturer I am aware of is currently using this material. The last one to pull out of Be production was Shure - stating in its PR release it can no longer source materials needed to produce the V15 series ( Be thin wall cantilever is the essence of V15, from V15V on at least ). The truth must be different - Be is still available and still used in audio devices. Health hazard in Be...
That is different game - pure raw materials. The prices are comparable, no matter where are you buying. IF it is a legal deal. Beryllium is a nasty material to work with - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium . It is the process that is safe for workers and enviromentally acceptable that is hard/costly to set up to begin with - and the high investment costs can only be absorbed trough large production/sales. I there really is beryllium in Pistons 2.0, and if they...