Posts by analogsurviver

Interesting. I suspect it was a bit higher compliance than the "current norm" - and higher compliance (less stiff ) suspensions tend to behave like that ( Shure V15VMR is a make or break - within 0.05 of a gram either way, sample to sample dependant , also very SRA sensitive ). What VTF did you end up with once finally set up - I expect it to track at a bit lighter pressure, towards the lower limit ( or even lower ) of the mfr's 1.8-2.2 g range ?
It is actually for sale : http://www.ebay.de/itm/Schmutzmatte-Bodenvorleger-Fusmatte-Abtreter-Turmatte-Abstreifer-Plattenspieler-/311124023592?pt=Teppiche&hash=item48706fd928
Interesting - after seeing the measurements for Nagaoka 500 ( one of the very few with flying colours) , I would not expect 2M Black to be still in the game. Clearaudio Maestro Wood is no longer in production - but its improvement is : http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/clearaudio-maestro-v2-ebony-cartridge/  It goes to show how far  Audio Technica MM cartridge design can go given the attention to everything, cartridge body material/shape included - Audio Technica is...
  doormat  
Thank you for the answer. I did expect the PTG II to be sensitive to SRA - and the usual re-adjustments once the suspension settles down, it is perfectly normal. The lack of resolution (coarse, "one note samba" if you will ) is my reservation regarding the entire OCx family - otherwise it is a great cartridge design. THE quietest thing in the groove is another AT - AT ML170/OCC . It is great using conventional load for a MM cartridge, but becomes invincible if loaded...
I first heard an OCx ( 7? 9? ) trough something both of us love(d) - Rogers LS-3/5a. And it was coarse beyond belief. Then, a few months later, I did get to install and measure OC9 - and found that 7th and/or 9th harmonic that bothered me that much . Not for me.... Koetsu I am not familiar enough with - except when I did get to adjust and hear them, they were behaving quite well with most signals and music. I did get to peek under the microscope with one and found they use...
I waited till you replied. I am VERY familiar with AT's MMs and few MCs. I absolutely HATE MC OCx family - I would remove it from my TT in a blink of an eye. Brrrr.... - it is linear like probably no MC under the sun, it tracks well, it even has decent channel separation - but 7th and 9th harmonic distortion really is the very last thing I would like listen to. NO WAY ! AT32/33 family is looong in the tooth - spanning almost 4 decades - and it has been updated and improved...
Haha, nice to see you are back in mood - quick recovery !
It depends on how much you want to lift the lid off this particular can of worms. It can get VERY na$$$$$$ty. Given the level of your present upcoming equipment, what you mention does make sense. Please allow some extra length - you do not want to be limited in the positioning of the speakers by wiring. ( And those with cables in $100 and above per foot arena should read it regardless - because they may find the sound with cheapo excess length wires but properly positioned...
Yes.