Posts by analogsurviver

+1
Regarding 5:1 - I certainly hope you are right. Re binaural - it is not only kids. Like it or not, sad, but true: an average musician, in anything from the early 30s to about 60s, is VERY likely to confess to have time/peace of mind to listen to recorded music - EVEN his own - in a car only. No kids running around, no nagging wife ( or husband ) - otherwise, (next to ) no time for listening to recordings. Is such a person going to invest in all the needed for 5:1 ?...
Agreed on the first chapter. Due to the requirements, unlikely to EVER become widespread enough.  How many real households can afford listening-only room ?Similar problem was with the quadrophonic systems ( quite a number of presently available "surround" recordings started their life during quadro era in the 70s ) I do not see binaural THAT tremendously limiting - but I agree 5:1 to be more flexible. With one fly in the ointment : it is inherently flawed ( some say; I...
I will answer your unedited reply ( copy-pasted from my email subscription to this thread ). It certainly is possible to compare live feed to output from the recorder of any kind - analog and digital.  Analog has the advantage of including only  the defects that creep in during recording ( wow & flutter only of the recording part, not the combined w & f of recording and plaback , for example ), meaning that what you hear in monitor at the time of recording is the best that...
Now - PLEASE - go to a concert hall, set up ANY semi decent microphone(s) setup ultimately giving two channel output - and adjust the direct feed from those mics AND output from any redbook CD standard recorder within 0.1 dB or less, ABX switching done by quality ANALOG switch , sighted or multitple blind -  and listen with any decent headphones.  And then ask yourself, honestly - if you still can claim the above statement . ( I certainly can hear the difference between...
It is both timing AND amplitude problem.  If listening to PCM recording ONLY, without frequent exposure to the real thing, one can "adjust" to that sound and - not miss anything.  And then be "shocked" how much different live sound is.  This is audible in all but the "slowest" instruments ( organ...it can not change volume fast - no matter what, it has slow start and yet slower decay, particularly in large venues ) - but easiest is to listen for this to a drum solo...
To be blunt - time domain. DSD has MUCH better pulse response - even in real world, where filtering is still needed ( thus taking away some of its superiority in time domain, a necessary compromise in order to keep the ultrasonoc noise at an acceptable level ), than anything PCM - DXD included. I have promised photos from the analog oscilloscope for the squre wave response of various analog and digital devices. I am anything but an accomplished photographer - but this post...
Try http://www.discogs.com/Omnibus-Wind-Ensemble-Music-By-Frank-Zappa/release/1820934 If you can not hear the difference between the CD and SACD layers of this disc -  then nothing can help you. Even on the $ 120 Sony Blu-ray player. Earlier CD only release is MUCH worse - and all policarbonates are eclipsed by the original vinyl LP release, now next to unobtainium. Recording and mastering of this calibre is scarce, so more "mainstream" repertoire worth of DSD ( SACD is...
I still have to order the ifi nano DSD DAC - because i "need" it for demoing my own DSD recordings without having to upload them to the Korg recorders each and every time ( time consuming, Korg has USB 2.0 and HDD is only 40 GB, expandable for sure to 80 GB, with possible option for 120 GB ( not all HDDs will work...)) - and searching for a particular movement or spot within that movement on the Korg is a major PITA compared to the computer/mouse. In plain English - if a...
Well, for the HE-6 (although never saw one in flesh) it should be more than enough. And having it in-house rather having to buy is . Jecklin Float (electrostatic, either vintage or new age reincarnation by Quad Atelier of Germany )  - THAT can hardly ever have "enough". Magnaplanar Tympani, itself not known to be the most efficient speakers on the planet, barely moved the meters of a Phase Linear 700B - those meters REALLY came to life when pushing Floats at about the same...