Posts by analogsurviver

What does a (good) turntable have to do with loudspeakers? Directly - nothing. Indirectly, when both are seen as a part of the whole chain/system - everything. You can not test the ultimate capabilities of the speakers or headphones using CD redbook - something faster is required. That something faster was, until the advent of SACD and beyond redbook PCM, entirely in the analog domain - be it tape or (direct to ) disk. And still is the fastest source available to the...
Agreed. DSD has to be filtered because of noise above 20 kHz - all things considered, DSD512 is perhaps the optimal thing to go with.  The "recommended" filtering for DSD does not exist. Each real hardware machine has its own - some have even more variants. And yes, these filters do change the sound. The Korg MR-1 DSD64 capable recorder has three DSD filter settings, the MR-1000 DSD128 capable has a single DSD filter setting (and both can switch DSD filter entirely off -...
I have cited the tonearm (not turntable) as an example of things that tend towards better all on their own - without any intervention from outside. Simply because it is the best example in all things audio I am familiar with. True, SB-R100 was a two way speaker - which does not diminish the importance of the foam for the passive bass driver; it is even more critical to get the foam characteristics right , as the third "crossover" is entirely mechanicaland the compliance of...
I intentionally postponed the audition of this arm - for two years or more - fearing what might come out. Listening to very well known LPs. Prior, I could be telling myself it can not be that better and can not be worth the money. POOOF - in less than five minutes. There are loose ends in 4-point ;  but that super stable bearing system will more than compensate for these shortcomings. The other arm that could/should be equal/better is "only" 5 times or so the price...
It is true that "anything" can be mitigated with proper design. To a point. Let me get one thing straight - the best are designs that, left unattended, tend from good to better. Perhaps the most palpable audio example is Kuzma 4-Point tonearm.It does not and can not have free play in its unique bearing system, yet it has low enough friction. Temperature will not unsettle this perfection - as it is basically held together by gravity. Totally unlike conventional ball...
I said loudspeaker designs - and that is not limited to cones. Electrostatics as a group. Quad ESL 2912 as perhaps the most accomplished of the breed. Although rather rare, not that all uncommon or unknown - and although around $ 10 K  in price, far from being the most expensive loudspeaker in existence. There were two "electrostatics" without the diaphragm - force field was powerful enough to create sound waves. By the two otherwise rivals - both builders of extremely...

True. That is why Quad ESL 2915 ( a full range electrostatic crossoverless design ) will always run rings around multi driver speakers requiring time alignment.  DSP is a good, extremely useful,  but still - cure for the problem. Preventing the problem from occuring  is the better strategy.
There is no such thing as "consumer grade", correctly adjusted DACs. There is also no such thing as correctly adjusted pro level DAC.  They can be both correctly adjusted - and still sound poor.  I have said, many times over, that analog sections, inevitable in ANY - ADC or DAC - will play a major role in SQ. And two "boxes" (whatever) that are according to the electrical schematic and conventional measurements more or less indistinguishable can sound MUCH different - IF...
Output filter for DSD can be MUCH more shallow than foe PCM - which usually uses extremely steep/brickwall filtering, even at 700+kHz sampling rate - and this is the reason why comparably sized file DSD will always have the upper hand over pulse response o the PCM. True, neither system achieves the perfect pulse response. But achieving approx 99% vs 84% for DXD (PCM 384/32) is a difference - not to mention the CD at some 15 or so % ....