Posts by analogsurviver

There IS one use of PCM/DSP I will be (grundgingly...) perhaps forced to adopt - filters for loudspeakers. It has been demonstrated a really decently made PCM/DSP filter (running at least at 192/24, preferrably twice that speed ... > VERY powerful computer just for the crossover ! ) can produce an almost perfect SQUARE WAVE, notonly a pulse - measured by the microphone at the listening position. There are articles floating in the net. Stax DO have a problem - their stators...
For some reason, it won't let me to comment on the first half. Since you are relatively new here - I AM the binaural guy here. It is the (commercial) presure of necessity to play music over loudspeakers that is keeping me from getting exclusively binaural - but it is my personal favourite. And I doubt I will ever use multimiking - two mike recordings and no mixing desk straight into the recorder. Post production limited to pasting together the best (bits of) takes. But if...
Again, this is similar to the original Oracle. It was not dished platter/mat, but the mirror-like surface of the mat and dishing by the clamp allowed for "vacuum" in most of the cases. I am glad that VPI could slightly improve upon this solution.
Get real. ANY decent phono cartridge is at least twice faster than CD. Some go beyond 100 kHz. ANY decent microphone is faster - and there are mics, capable of being used for audio, that go beyond 100 kHz. Quite a few headphones are faster - Stax being the most prolific and known, with the response at very least to 30 kHz. Usually more. There are others that go at least to 40 kHz. There are MANY loudspeakers capable of approx 40 kHz - and there are designs that reach 100...
Ever listened to a real drum kit ? Live, acoustic, not over speakers - not a recording over youtube ? Then try to squeeze that into CD redbook ... - and see if it is still "realistic".  DSD128 comes close - but even more would be required for the sound that no longer can be discerned from live. CD has absolutely no chance with percussion, cymbals being only the most problematic/critical part.Rise times on say a rim shot are extremely fast - CD can NEVER reach the proper...
OH - then we must have been reading two different forums called head-fi . Or have you forgoten how many times bigshot has stated all amps sound the same, CD redbook is enough for music, dynamic range of CDs should be limited to 40-50 dB - and that anything beyond that makes no sense and is waste of resources ? Or to the same effect, with variations on the wording ? According to him, no advance over what was basically available in 1980, is not only not required, but is...
Interesting - so VPI actually did take advantage of both worlds - vacuum included - for clamping. Nice to know !
No. Pioneer PD-D6J http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/archive/PD-D6-J/page.htmlspecifically allows for the S/PDIF on 44.1/16 to be output - or not. It is called  Pure Audio Mode by the Pioneer.  Remote controlled. It does not allow for S/PDIF output of DSD under any circumstances - at least not officially. And for fact it sounds better on its own DAC when S/PDIF signal is NOT allowed at the output.  As good as it is, it is bested by using S/PDIF out into an outboard DAC -...
Of course is ABX methodology and not a piece of hardware of software.  But hardware and software has to support ABXing of whatever needs to be tested this way. And "measuring equipment", "ABX box", whatever it is, should introduce at least ten times lower imperfections than whatever is the object of the test. Mixing desks are not the most audibly transparent things in the universe - and I avoid them altogether.  With small differences, such as PCM 192/24 and DSD128, the...
That is where they scream : Every man for himself ...