Posts by analogsurviver

It could have been a batch problem - and certainly hope not some fake problem. But a dry electrolytic capacitor is a dry electrolytic capacitor. Be it as it may, I FAR prefer film caps and use them whenever there is a mildest chance for them to fit to the volume available. That goes usually up to 47 uF, ocassionally streeeetching that to 100 or so uF. Trouble is, any PCB borded by film caps of these value in any normal quantity required is going to look extremely untidy -...
Great to hear the opposite regarding Blackgate - enjoy while it lasts .
It is nice to see the inclusion of the absolute polarity switch - although only trough digital input. One has to take care of the appropriate absolute polarity for the analog input at the analog source. I wanted to participate during the design phase - but as always, one is stuck with the current standards regarding connector(s). We are basically stuck with RCA (which is horrible) and TRS (even more horrible). I do absolute phase reversal entirely mechanically, at the very...
I concur with most of the above - except Blackgate caps. I have heard horror stories regarding long term ( just a few years... <5 ) reliability of these caps - some of them went to eternal hounting grounds much sooner than expected !  "Any" modern freshly produced electrolytic capacitor from your around-the-corner electronic parts shop was an "upgrade" to those iffy Blackgates - at the price, they should last at least half as much as those originally fitted in the vintage...
One real problem with USB is the female USB socket itself - or, to be more precise, the way the electrical contacts to the printed circuit board are made. In 99.9.........9% of cases, the USB female socket's hard metal connectors are soldered directly to the PCB - with the minimum of solder material that will do the job.Works fine when new - but after so and so many USB connector mating cycles these solder joints start to deteriorate - and they DO NOT FAIL IN DIGITAL...
It could affect jitter - depending on the configuration/processing power of the computer. Degradation occurs long before there are audible  errors causing garbled music, missing parts or something of that nature obvious even to a bystander listener. The first thing to suffer is the warmth of sound as heard live or from a good master - it gets ever colder more this master is "downgraded", then gos spatial rendition, etc, etc, - long before the point described above has been...
With storage device, any type and powered with anything, it may also be important if the files are fragmented or not - and to what extent they can be fragmented before it can be manifested as deterioration in SQ. On an infinitely fast infinitely capable computer this should not ba an issue - in real life things can be different.
Depends on the particular setup. Manufacturers go to great lenghts to ensure the best possible result for the first part of any audio device to be made right - the POWER SUPPLY.  No audio device can be better than its power supply - it should be absolutely stable and quiet, which is an obvious impossibility - yet devices powered from only so-so and superb power supplies definitely do sound different. Over USB, it is very hard to have enough current, low impedance and noise...
RAID5 array consisting of 5 2TB HDDs with the usable capacity of 8TB. 4.4 TB to go - but DSD128  masters and equally DSD128 needledrops are reducing the space available by day. Next planned addition is similar RAID5 array consisting of 5 4TB HDDs - giving another 16TB of storage. Would love to go to more secure RAID than RAID5, but available capacity with given number/capacity of disks is severely reduced by this measure(s).   Just needledrops of around 3K LPs will...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W09ghiWskUk No exact idea, but it is a DSD capable player capable of some serious juice for headphones - and that has to come from somewhere.I find AA batteries is a user friendly feature - as more commonly (these days) used Li Ion batteries, once depleted, have to be recharged for quite some time, whereas AAs can be exchanged for another set, giving you minimum downtime. And you can get AAs practically anywhere in reasonably civilised world...