or Connect

Posts by analogsurviver

True that 99% of LPs recorded in the last 30 years were digitally mixed and mastered. At one point, they all started sounding "the same". No prizes for guessing what was happening at the time. That is why any of the better cartridges will usually wave a flag saying : ( similar to computer asking numerous times : Are you sure you want to format the disk ?) "Are you really sure you want to wear my precious stylus for this digital crap ?" Yet there are still nowadays analog...
No go. Except in case of a perfect cartridge. What on earth is for example the very well thought out alignment gauge provided with the Shure V15V - ( or V-15VMR  - not with B suffix, basic packaging WITHOUT the  alignment gauge )good for - at least for azimuth - if the cartridge(s) were almost all - off ? For azimuth, you can use Fozgometer or Adjust + software from Dr. Feickert - but an oscilloscope will yield the same thing given the knowledge how to use it - AND will...
haha
I specifically did say it is NOT intermodulation in the equipment. This would be something WE DO NOT WANT. Human ear is not a linear device - FAR from it. And it COULD function something like I have described. We need to do more research in this direction - but how on earth it can be possible to encourage such research if everybody is claiming above 20 kHz does not matter ? There must be some place to start - one or another. The easiest way out is to say that it does not...
Simple answer. Imagine a x-th harmonic of say trumpet being at 80 kHz, (x+1)-th harmonic being at 83 kHz. We could go to the real and exact harmonics of a trumpet from the link proving response of the muted trumpet extends past 100 kHz.  Now, trough intermodulation - difference between the two frequencies - we arrive at (83 - 80) kHz = 3 kHz. And 3 kHz is audible - and these 3 kHz are missing in the recording that has gone trough 20 kHz low pass filter. Clearer now ?  The...
Linearity of the vinyl - as linearity of the frequency response or linearity of the dynamic range ? With tape, there WERE multiple takes, etc. The most horrible are classical recordings with VERY low tape hiss, then all of a sudden instant switch to MUCH higher hiss, some 3-4 notes of a solo instrument played, loud hiss continuing for a second or two, sharp transition to low hiss "bussiness as usual". Such records even got prizes ... Except for the fact that THE BEST...
I can and will provide some evidence - my own recordings. But, it takes to have the equipment that supports it - particularly headphones and speakers with response above 20 kHz - if at least 88.2/16 capable  DAC is self explanatory to be mandatory for such test(s). I have just installed the voxengo FFT ( it still hiccups a bit, but it should do well tomorrow ) - and will go trough some 5 years worth of my DSD recordings. There is one harpsichord recording that clearly...
No. I am realist. Technically, it IS challenging. But the 1234567890'+!"#$%&/()=?* ( a curse stronger than anything you can even think of )  PCM and DSP have de facto spoiled the generations of the musicians after it was introduced to be practically incapable of recording without multiple takes, splitting, etc -  everybody is damn afraid to put a wrong note for posterity as a recording.  Sad - but true.
I am familiar with TI latest DAC offerings. They have LONG ago abandoned 44.1/16 Redbook only capable devices...
I use such an amp on daily basis. It is VERY linear. Just to make sure it can play whatever the source is providing with aplomb.