or Connect

Posts by analogsurviver

Definitely. It is natural.  But hearing capability does not equate listening capability - try to get 6 years old to listen to some serious classical stuff with great dynamic range for more than a couple of seconds... Yet despite inevitable hearing loss that begins from day one and reaches quite significant reduction of objectively measured acuity, even downright old, not just middle aged people, can select a good violin, cymbals, etc - regardless of the fact that a...
I have a nasty feeling turntables will keep on spinning into the time the NEXT generation will no longer recognize what CD is and what to do with it ... I remember a girl then 6, after seeing a vinyl LP for the first time, saying : What a BIG - CD ....
It is just tiresome and time consuming, that's all.  Now I am "armed" by a nice juicy drum solo live recording - you should see how 20-50 kHz range springs to life once the cymbals start playing ...
 Unfortunately, there is LOTS of "fishing in murky waters" regarding oil for lubrication of turntables. As described above. There is at least one oil that is, regardless being expensive like hell, high tech ( nano balls ) and legit : http://www.vandenhul.com/products/accessories/the-lower-friction-tlf-special-oil-type-i-and-ii Holy horrors - it is even recommended to improve/prolong the life of bearings of CD players  ! The best turntables no longer use bearings requiring...
I agree with all of the above. Now, the biggest joke in cartridge design history regarding body resonances :     remedied by this :  
EVERY on paper first DSD recorder is also PCM capable . The other way around it usually does not work. All it takes is is a flick of a switch or ticking a box in the Menu ... Probably the biggest bang for the buck in today's audio : http://tascam.com/product/da-3000/
Oil as dialectric has been used in particularly high voltage application ( cables, transformers ) for ages. It is not a gimmick.  But it is true this is its first use for the so called audiophools - in this cable. I did say you can ABX - cables . An ABX box - as that from Van Alstine - one well rested subject for DBT and one merciless jury.  If it was not for the money ( I need some things, ABXed or not, million times more urgent than an ABX box ) - I would have bought...
I agree. At this very moment, I am humbly converting a great DSD64 recording - any way I have available - into 192/24 to be seen on the FFT. The first concern is to get recording that can not noise too much up to at least about 100 kHz - it is ANYTHING but clean and quiet out there. Which leads us to ever greater sampling rates, either in DSD or PCM. Then again, people have dreamt of flying for ages - and it is not much beyond 100 years since Wright  brothers flew for the...
@Steve Eddy : Human race is - unbelievable...   One gives to it a finger - and is left without an arm ...   Now - which microphones/speakers  could be used for establishing second, third .... harmonic distortion of a microphone that is nominally 100 kHz capable ?   Maybe in some time - at the present we could only measure the distortion "downwards in frequency" - as far up as other equipment will allow for.   Speakers up to 150 kHz - and more - are known to exist....
It is travelling back in time when records were made better. Ebay is the best approximation ...