Posts by analogsurviver

Play some really good recordings trough your they-want-me-to-sell-it class A/AB switchable amp - and trough the intended replacement. A dealer worth of his/her salt should be able to arrange such a demo. Then play the same recordings to those who want to make you to sell it - trough both amps, driving the same speakers in the same position in the same room. Preferably, have a third unbiased party doing the chore of AB(X) ing - and then decide. DO NOT FORGET to compare 3...
I would LOVE to have such an opportunity - but getting musicians to listen to their own recordings immediately after the performance - in any format/resolution - is about the closest approximation of Mission Impossible. Only the very few of the very best I have been working with expressed the wish to listen to the freshly made recordings . They are primarily interested in their own performance - sound quality is much lower on their wish list, and does not matter one iota...
That "expectation bias"  was confirmed many times over by other persons - even those that can due to their age ( and hearing that goes with it ) rightfully consider me to be a kid.  And who knew very little regarding Hz or dB or bits -  musicians and concert goers. No expectation bias as such can be applied here - they did not know what they were listening to. They were simply left the freedom to choose the one that they felt was closer to real sound they are in everyday...
Oh, that one. It is a studio recording, relatively small one, and using TWO arificial heads. It was the first time I saw anyone using 2 heads at so small spacing. Acoustical classical guitar is among the quietest sources around ( zither being even more problematic in this regard ) - and to preserve some kind of acceptable signal to noise ratio, there is no other way than to position the mics/artificial head closer than it would have been desirable provided the microphones...
Like I wrote previously, it is NOT the mere audibility of the sinusoidal signal up to frequency of so and so much kHz. It is the timing of overtones, particularly those that do exceed 20 kHz. In nature, there is no mechanism ( besides air that does attenuate HF content over the distance ) to disrupt this timing among fundamental and harmonics. As noted before, these levels are LOW, LOW; LOW ; nowhere near anything like 0 dB. You can observe any piece of music ( in PCM ) in...
It is true that binaural is room acoustics dependant.  The best results are obtained outdoors, like town square or similar - followed by large halls, churches, etc. The smaller the room is, the worse binaural will be. Therefore binaural is not universally applicable - in not so stellar acoustics, other techniques will usually yield better result. I am surprised you say there is no depth cues in a solo guitar piece. Ortofon used a solo guitar piece ( taken from the Opus 3...
True - IF the recording medium, be it digital or analog, does not alter the signal by delaying portion of signal ( HF limiting/phase shift/pre/post ringing in PCM, the lower the sampling rate and steeper the filter, the worse the result.)  I did not expect the difference between DSD64 and DSD128 to be that pronounced with binaural - and improvement lies for the most part in improved response well past the established 20000 Hz limit of humanhearing. The difference is most...
Yes, that would be even better. Only it is questionable how good DSP could be used. Do not forget, there is a reason WHY I am so pro DSD - and not PCM.  If and when DSD can be processed at 1 bit, this should actually be made to work well enough - so well as to be indestinguishable from the real thing.  Binaural is heavily dependant on phase/timing. Here, DSD, even the DSD64 (SACD) is better than PCM. But front to back, particularly larger distances, come to life first with...
Not a bad idea - and probably doable in reasonable future at a (still...) reasonable cost. It would be the end game system for 99% of even the hardest core audiophiles.  If agreed on the artificial head, differences ( and hence corrections needed ) for each and every listener could be implemented at the playback side.
Could not agree more ! Since an audio recording lacks visual cues, audio has to be "exagerated" "made larger-than-life" - in order to be interesting to the listener. Yet we came a long way from the ping-pong tenis effects of early stereo recordings - and a well made binaural might start getting appreciated for the lack of "editorial comment". The path from A to B in case of binaural is unfortunately anything but the shortest straight line between the two.