Posts by analogsurviver

That is true. But how on earth can anyone convience another in superiority of DSD - who does not have native DSD playback capability and is thus forced to listen to DSD bounced down to PCM in any case ? He/she gets to hear whatever highest PCM resolution his/hers DAC is capable of - no true DSD/PCM DBT possible at all.  I thought that DXD will be sounding a lot more close to DSD (whatever resolution/sampling rate ) - yet it does not. It still sounds somewhat cold and hard...
Now ... which electrical elements/parts can range from 10 to 100 ( 30  sort of mean value ) times the price of commonly used parts ? Currently produced, not expensive solely due to their NOS status. Hint - there is a thread obout here on HF.
Yes, this is the general idea. It requires native DSD playback capability. It IS hard to do ABX at the moment - foobar ABX comparator does not support DSD natively at the time - although it should appearently be capable of native DSD512 playback - that is eight times (!)  the resolution of SACD = DSD64. The first commercially available DSD DAC capable of DSD512 is around the corner - release date for iFi Audio micro iDSD is 22nd June - globally. It isalso capable of double...
I will rephrase - how many switching power supply powered audio gear , be it audiophile or pro/stage, has actually equalled the performance of the audio equipment with linear power supplies ? Please note I am the last to say that anything has to have godzillion of years of tradition to be trusted as being good. Audiophile crowd is terribly too conservative in this regard. I have no reservations against new, more power efficient designs ( can you imagine EVERY amplifier in...
In an ideal world, that should be the case.  Neither are the components and topologies used in those amplifiers - or the world - ideal or perfect. An amp that is on paper completely equal to another sample of the same type but built with better quality elements IS GOING TO SOUND BETTER - PERIOD.  Want proof ? Get service manuals for Sansui gear from late 70s/early 80s, BA/CA3000 in particular - and add what was left out in ANY export version. There is a tiny * at the...
As a matter of fact, a resounding YES ! Because generally one would want as little mass in transducers as possible - here one is paying more for less of mass. From microphone to the speaker and headphone - the tinier the fraction of a pound, the more expensive it is. And better the performance. And vice versa with the power supplies; how many switching power supply powered amplifiers that achieved any significant level of acceptance either from audiophile or PA/concert...
It really depends what you need it for and what is the equipment used with it. 40 W class A (if real ) can be one hell of a lot of power, specially if used to power some sattelite speakers - and the lion's share of bass handled by the subwoofer (amp). It would also make a great amp for driving power hungry headphones directly off speaker output - provided it has low enough noise. Or electrostatic headphones coupled trough a transformer. Above are examples to use the 40 W...
It is not about figuring out, merely about using two identical recorders to give fair conditions to both PCM and DSD. One can not expect the musicians to give two totally equal performances twice in a row - once with recorder set up for PCM, another for DSD. It is only about satisfying the criteria for true ABX, nothing less and nothing more.  Were it not for the finances, I would have done that long ago. I do not give ABX nearly the same credit as some people, because...
Play some really good recordings trough your they-want-me-to-sell-it class A/AB switchable amp - and trough the intended replacement. A dealer worth of his/her salt should be able to arrange such a demo. Then play the same recordings to those who want to make you to sell it - trough both amps, driving the same speakers in the same position in the same room. Preferably, have a third unbiased party doing the chore of AB(X) ing - and then decide. DO NOT FORGET to compare 3...
I would LOVE to have such an opportunity - but getting musicians to listen to their own recordings immediately after the performance - in any format/resolution - is about the closest approximation of Mission Impossible. Only the very few of the very best I have been working with expressed the wish to listen to the freshly made recordings . They are primarily interested in their own performance - sound quality is much lower on their wish list, and does not matter one iota...