or Connect

Posts by analogsurviver

Well, that RAID5 array holds my master DSD recordings for the last six years . It is a RAID box containing 5pcs of 2TB HDDs, it is placed stationary and does not move about. As a precaution, it will be placed on the floor - because it can not fall any further than that. Worst case scenario - the box can fall on either of its side ... I am pampering this array - used for storage almost exclusively. When I want to listen to something from it, it is copied to another HDDs and...
I merely wanted to state the case for STOOD THE TEST OF TIME. You can have Forsprung Durch Technik in latest super duper Audi - at premium cost. Which can cost one dearly if anything goes wrong. And can make you walk home - or travel by MUCH less fancy vehicle. You can have reasonably tested over longer period same Forspung Durch Technik - in a VW, say 2 years later. Much more reliable ... You can have the same in Seat, Skoda - in some five years time since initially...
Agreed. No media should be trusted as the sole point of storage. Yet data can be saved from spinning disks gone bad easier than from other merthods.
CD mat test - please see a few posts back, from today. I know I would not want some untried CPU in my latest gear - I would prefer to opt to something less capable but available long enough to be trustworthy. An example : when Windows 7 became available, I decided to upgrade from XP. But, the early Win7 was so horribly inferior to XP in audio, that I changed back to XP in less than a week. Win7 did, eventually, catch up with XP in audio - but it took almost a year to do...
Yes, you could say that the programming to get error free operation is the reason. Sometimes, real operation brings about conditions no programmer could reasonably forsee - yet the equipment should not go berserk even under FAR OFF conditions. And finding such exceptions that are under certain conditions fatal does take time in order to write programmes that are capable of dealing with the real thing. CDs have been around for more than 25 years - and some no longer can be...
Oh - now tell me why military is still using NiCD cells instead of NiMH, and let alone LiWhatever ? Regardless that they are inferior to their newer counterparts in amount of energy stored per unit of volume. Maybe the larger temperature envelope and robustness in both mechanical and electrical sense have something to do with this decision. If the military actually uses the latest gear available at the time of specification, than this explains the track record of the early...
If it is master recordings, I mean #001 RAW recording, I most definitely do not want to take chances. HDDs fail at a sustainable, non catastrophic rate - if in reasonable RAID configuration. Audio and video combined for the two last concert  recordings amounted to just a bit under 300GB. Two DAYS ... SSDs of 2TB are simply too expensive - and anything with smaller capacity is, for all practical purposes, too small to consider to use under RAID.  There is a reason why USAF...
Nope - 90 MB/s is required speed of writing, DSD64 is 22 minutes audio/1GB, DSD128 is 11 minutes audio/1GB. As I write this, I am transferring audio and video from the recent two concerts to my RAID5 array - the CD mats tests have been recorded, but I am NOT satisfied with the results - will re-do this on another CD recorder/player that should clearly benefit from the use of the CD mat. Pioneer PD-D6J, which I used initially, is - now confirmed by myself - not regarded as...
Yes. With DSD recording, whatever the storage medium, it has to support close to 100 MB/sec, but at the very least 90MB/sec in order for the recording to be glitch-free, without hanging, etc, etc - which are all no-no during the actual recording of a master. The advantage of storage without moving parts and susceptibility to vibration in portable recording is an obvious one. I am still struggling to get time to test if one card ( (Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 MB...
Really should not. I received a warning AGAINST using SDD - for any application that requires multiple writing/erasure/format of the card/disk. Solid state elements are still not fully reliable and the more you tax them, the likelihood of them to self destruct is greater. Leading to detrioration of the card at first, up to the total failure in the end. In the SSD case, burning-in could well mean burning-out - quite literally so.