Posts by analogsurviver

I agree with you on all counts - in theory and in perfect world.  However, in real life things are different. I never did like equipment purposely designed to sound right as a combination only - as it was designed with deviation A in one component that cancelled with the exactly opposite -A in another - etc till one almost runs out of alphabet.  But they were/are among the most successful in the market - and God forbid even to quietly think about an equalizer while...
Poor bats - always scapegoats when talking about anything above 22050 Hz ...
I agree regarding the carbon fibre cellos and violins. Even more affected by humidity is classical spanish guitar - that is why players are reluctant to tour in more humid climate regions, as the necks are prone to deformation. I also agree regarding aesthetic and emotional connection with the old instruments - but imagine as listener stepping into Musikverein and everything on stage is - black ... But if ultimately proven not only more consistent, but actually better...
Business as usual - there is no such thing as two completely equal phono cartridges.  Or headphones ... or ANY electromechanical transducer. There are much more grave concerns in a phono cartridge/stylus than just cantilever. The most critical is the way the diamond stylus is attached to the cantilever. Does it go into some hole made trough the cantilever (tube) - or is held in place by glue alone? If this joint is not stiff enough, it can introduce uhuhulala resonances -...
CANTILEVER ( NOT stylus ) from cactus thorn - stylus itself is of course diamond. For microgroove = anything from ( with safe margin ) 1950 on.  There are also DIY variations on the theme : http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22847&start=156  It is the same as with instrument makers - as instrument maker will be secretive from which woods his wood comes and with which varnish it is treated, cartridge maker(s)will tend to be secretive regarding...
OK - let me put it this way - I wanted all and everybody to understand that I am familiar with shortcomings - be it analog , digital, solid state or hollow state. It boils down to which combination of the above yields the closest approach to live sound. CD can have zero distortion and infinite channel separation - but will NEVER sound real due to limited response above 20 kHz. Higher rates of digital are much better - and if and when done really well, can one day actually...
I did say "implementation dependant". Low level noise in tubes will always be a problem - and achieving 100 dB+ dynamic range with tubes is hard if not impossible - in that case, really well made semiconductor may well win. I would never try to go with head trough brick wall with a tube moving coil preamplifier for low output MC cart - because physics says it just can not be done without excessive noise - at least not without transformer between the cart and actual phono...
I wish that average dynamic range of commercial LPs was higher than 35 dB - unfortunately it is not. There are excellent LPs out there with much greater dynamic range, but they are far in between. Funny but true - where do you think channel separation in analog disc is most audible ? In dead center positioned solo voice or instrument. Koetsu cartridges were and are still outstanding in this, nowadays joined by others. The difference between a -35 dB and "appreciably more"...
The simple technical reason is that the tube is inherently "cleaner" device than semiconductor - the flow of electrons is governed by voltages across plates and electrons are travelling in (near) vacuum. Any SS works by changing the properties of the material - it is the precise amount of impurities in silicone or other solid material that allow semiconductor behaviour in the first place. And that ultimately limits the resolution of this system. An electron in vacuum has...
Not true. I have already posted the link for the Allearts cartridges. Alignment tools to allow for it have appeared rather recently and are still rather costly - but if you know how to do it, it was being made for ages with a GOOD test record and an oscilloscope ( and preamp that does not mask -60 dB with self noise...