or Connect

Posts by analogsurviver

Your constant dismisal is equally impressive. How nowhere near 100 kHz goes a music mike you can check here :  http://www.sanken-mic.com/en/product/product.cfm/3.1000400 Not quite so high go some of modified Bruel & Kjaer mikes, otherwise meant for measurements but found to be of low enough noise to be used for music. Up to "only" 50 kHz ( mightily flat .... ) go Eartworks*...
I am a regular human being with particular bias on sound quality.  No, I do not have monopoly on anything - and would react as I did only if treated like I have been by the members on sound science thread(s).  1. PCM editor would go to show how compressed are commercial recordings ( classical, from premiunm brands, most of the time including audiophile labels ) compared to something that was allowed to be left intact. It would have been visible from across the room ! 2. I...
Oh dear... do I REALLY have to go to a CD store, grab - say - 10 of the recently released classical recordings at random , endure the chore of ripping them - and then post the result on audition or whichever PCM editor ? I started because of  rejecting the SQ of CDs recorded around the turn of the millenium onwards - the newer they were, the less realistic they sounded !  Now, TBH - how many of headphones , even those considered to be high end, CAN in fact play back an...
That was quick - I wanted to reply there must be some error regarding DSD128 and DSD256 as stated in initial post ... well done iFi !
Just a quick reply. 1. I have not been necesirilly referreing to the 35dB (or so ) noise floor of a quiet home room. This is head-fi, with reasonable headphones this noise floor can be at least 10 dB lower - which brings us to the grand total of maximum 131 dB ( and correspondingly less, given better isolation in headphones ). PLEASE do note that those 131 dBs would have been reached for a grand total of less than one second for the duration of a concert - say 2 hours -...
I actually like the unboxing video done by somebody obviously new to ifi or this kind of level of equipment. And I sure do like your avatar - the Yellow Racer is really neat ! Assuming you are not much familiar with Hi Rez, here a few links that may be helpful to appreciate the micro BL to its fullest...
Yes, it does take uncompressed recordings for any noise issues to be picked up by the ear. And that, most usually, will be classical music. One can flip the coin into another direction; on some smartphones, the output power for headphones is barely enough for compressed pop/rock stuff - at least with headphones that do not have a well above average efficiency/sensitivity. Any high dynamic range recording would simply be too quiet even at the maximum volume control...
Yes. No. It is a typical analog potentiometer problem - but I have never before experienced similar to anything the degree in any other audio component - regardless of ( low ) price. A "serious" analog volume control ( pot or switch ) alone can be comparable, meet or exceed the cost  of the entire Micro. It would also bi bigger than whatever can be accommodated in the size/volume constraints of the Micro. Finding a decent miniature pot in large enough quantities without...
I have been quite busy these past days - making recordings. I did not visit head-fi in - a while.  A few days ago I got mail I will get to try iDSD micro Black Label. Nice!   As I type this, listening to nano iDSD, at the time from Cubot Manito android phone ( finally succumbed to getting one of those smartphones, at a reasonable price and for me mandatory support of 256Gb micro card ), foobar for android, any PCM up to 192kHz . Will try to get USB audio recorder pro...
Exactly the opposite.  Line in has usually far too low gain for the microphone. (Head)phones are (very poor) microphones. If "phone" was meant as "smartphone" or anything that can drive normal dynamic headphones, its output is generally far too high for mic preamp input.    Some gross and grouse distortion would be the result.