or Connect

Posts by analogsurviver

It starts really low in price :  http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Turntable-Record-Player-Phono-Cartridge-Headshell-/400155534114?hash=item5d2b20e322:g:o0QAAOSwAYtWHUGc There is also a silver version at a whopping 0.01$ more or less ;  Please note the "collar" this headshell loosely based on SME model  has may prevent proper geometry with certain cartridges - physical dimensions will not allow you to make the proper lateral geometry alignment. Then there is this knock-off of...
Marketing is usually limited to sugar coating, this exceeds it by far too much. It is plain misleading. There is any number lovers of RBCD out there, the last thing DSD needs is shooting itself in the foot  in such a way...
 I am a firm supporter and advicate of DSD and record most of my recordings in it. But seeing claims that DSD contains  up to 256x more data than CD is not just sugar coating, it is downright misleading. I would have expected some more honesty from the likes of TEAC. This undermines the credibility of up to now highly regarded manufacturer in my eyes. DSD is 1 bit system, PCM is multibit - and even CD has 44.1 kHz times 16 bit data - not times 1bit; what it would have had...
It depends for which cartridge mass and compliance is the headshell meant. It usually boils down to hunt for the lighte/r/st headshell(s), as normally the S arms are quite massive all by themselves. And that means vintage and even back then, lighter versions of quality were relatively rare. Vintage, rare, etc translates today in $$$. You may also like the headshell to have azimuth adjustment - which additionally compounds the problem. If any of the vintage rigid but light...
Add a disco ball light motor off ebay  and DIY some mount for it, you get an almost perfect "grill" for your vinyl. As I am from EU, this is what I would go for :  http://www.ebay.de/itm/Spiegelkugelmotor-MD-1030-Drehmotor-fur-Discokugel-Spiegelkugel-Diskokugel-/281576624675?hash=item418f465223:g:k7MAAOSwzrxUxV62 Search for similar ( 3 RPM/minute ) motor(s) on ebay for places with 100 and 120 VAC mains - prices should be in the same range. Do you use pure distilled water...
In effect - yes. The usual action on the part of the amplifier manufacturers is to insert some resistance in series with the output - so that unplugging or plugging the TRS, which WILL and DOES mean short circuit for a moment, can not destroy the output circuitry. This can lead to deleterious effects with some headphones ( see Meier/Tyl link a few posts above ).Alternatively, some output short circuit protection is required - which again can mean adverse effect on sound,...
Both of what you mentioned is correct. The biggest issue with headphones I have is the *sigh* TRS jack(s).  Any headphone should have 4 terminals - each channel  separately, no possibility of short circuiting the output of the amp when plugging or unplugging the headphones in or out. No one would believe the sound something as lowly as Grado SR-60 can produce if driven right.  I have modified the output of the Perreaux SM2 preamp in order to be able to drive headphones -...
Your reasoning is correct. Better damping factor means better control. The most thorough treatment of headphone/impedance issues I have seen online is this : http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/musings-headphone-amplifier-output-impedance#lXxz1i8HoBHscGDw.97
Sorry guys, did not know that. For how long do(es) the SB version(s) hold their charge for the proper operation if there is no audio played for a while ? I've found the schematics for the SRD-6SB :  
No AC cable on this SRD 6SB ?