Posts by analogsurviver

You welcome ! Zappa is too great a subject for recommendations - and you can not be "urged" into it all. The pieces presented in this thread are his last period - with the exception of Gregerry Peccary, which dates mid 70s. He was going ever more "classical" in his late works - but the list of people who influenced his music printed on his 1st album, Freak Out, reads as Who is Who in Music - he knew their music even in 1968. It makes one wonder how far he would have...
Regarding amp - good, but nothing to write home about. It is the same "rear end" as say Stax SRA-12S - I actually had to canibalize my Pollock amp to replace one blown output transistor in SRA-12S - which then later went belly up because of the transformer ( that thing is simply too small/too little cooled to be reliable in the long run ). LM3900 chip is nothing special, today there are many better options. What does still hold true is the absolute necessity to use the...
The original article from Wireless World 1979 : http://www.amateuraudio.fr/images/ww5.pdf
Well said, Sir ! The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life was truly amazing - pity it did not last long. Here my post about it on head-fi: http://www.head-fi.org/t/253245/what-are-you-listening-to-right-now-new-thread-new-rules-please-read-them/58815#post_11373457  post # 58819
The Original Ensemble Modern Leading to The Final Version ( live) London Sinfonietta Featured here is Ali M. Askin, the man pivotal in getting the "Zappa Improvised On Spot" and Synclavier pieces arranged into written music for Ensemble Moderm. What was one day more or less pure improvisation or even composed on spot, was the next day available as written sheet music for all of the members of Ensemble Modern !  I spoke to meanwhile unfortunately late Mr. Jimmy Carl Black...
Very well said. Particularly the fun and humor bit. They are the closest thing humans can play of what is embodied in Zappa's Synclavier works.  
Just use a little dot of undiluted (paste) Aquadag between the stator and and coated mylar. It spreads over larger surface and creates less of a dimensional disturbance than any metal type contact would.  I would have to check for the integrity of the ultimately copper wire/Aquadag contact (drivers in storage for over 15 years by now ) - but during the operation I do not remember any catastrophic contact failures. 
I did state the general materials of the ESL driver by Pollock. Aquadag does not come in contact with any of the mentioned materials. Even aluminium stators are either anodized or covered with high voltage resistant paint - there is no such thing as practical bare Al, Cu or Zn stator. There is no heat in properly dimensioned ESL driver, there are no ignition sources either.  Should the driver arc for any reason, the result is burnt off portion where the arcing occured and...
I just ran across this today: http://www.aes.org/publications/standards/search.cfm?docID=99   Add a subwoofer ...
Using headphones + dedicated subwooferS ( that crap bass is mono never did hold water for me...) can bring this missing impact, tactile bass, etc, which is admittedly missing in headphone only setup.  I guess I will have to put the money where my mouth is - but sure reading those threads about headphones&subs here on head-fi make me droooooool. AKG K 1000 are definitely worth it !