Posts by analogsurviver

Trough Facebook I watched today a part of  Elgar's Cello Concerto with Jacqueline Du Pre - and upon later opening Youtube, landed here: very intense moments ...    
Cjl: I have only stated in my post that  it does matter whether any hirez is actual hirez or it is upsampled CD PCM redbook 44.1/16. From your position, ANYTHING above the CD is an overkill, not required and in the end regarded as ripoff. In one of the links "a couple of posts back" (in this or Testing Myths thread) , there was a reference to the list of papers presented at the AES convention in October 2014.By Meridian, possibly most likely...
I agree it is hard to give a definitive answer - due to the things mentioned. But I could not disagree more about DSD being the worst. NOT if it started life as DSD and was edited with tools that go to LOW digit PCM only around the intended edit and do not touch the original DSD otherwise - and if played on DAC capable of native DSD playback. That is >>90% pure DSD - available from the consortium https://www.nativedsd.com/ I agree ALL downloads should be documented as well...
Mendy.... Lovely! According to one of my friends not so into classical, there was a certain - Debugsy ...
Now I know that pairing a $ 399 ( in some sources  $599 ...) TT ( the new Onkyo DD ) with a $ 8500 DS Audio optical cart/preamp is not *exactly* the most usual combination - but it IS questionable if this hypothetical $9000 budget can be better spent:   http://www.analogplanet.com/content/optical-cartridge-designer-inteviewed-analogplanetcom     Add a decent clamping system and - more or less - call it a day ... (provided the new Onkyo does not stink to high heaven...
Great news ! Pictures http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=CP-1050&class=Turntable&source=prodClass show decent rubber mat and - what it looks like - a VTA adjustment ( ! ) similar to SL 1200 . Removable headshell means azimuth is possible to adjust - even if that requires buying another headshell offering azimuth adjustment.  Onkyo was/is one of those unsung heroes of DD - they did more in the department of "silencing"  that metal-ringing-merry-go-round-forEVER...
"Something like this" - but not this one.  You need greater magnification than 40 - like 50x to 800x :http://www.ebay.de/itm/2MP-800X-USB-Microscope-Digital-Mikroskop-Endoskop-Lupe-Kamera-CMOS-Kamera/400736026036?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083420%26meid%3Defd037cdc0ee4da49d6fae446d0698c1%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D20140107083420%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D200942114585 This one is available trough MANY...
Well, sometimes a TT is worth buying for the cartridge alone - REGARDLESS the TT. So checking the type and condition of the cart is very important. However, that "condition" is hard to check for in a store - unlikely to have a good microscope for checking the stylus condition and possibly unlikely to offer listening test prior to the purchase. Regarding the TTs in question, I concur with Skylab - given these options and a new Project, I would tend to go with the Project. I...
A good testimony to the fact that SL1200 in stock form has its limitations - which will invariably show up more with a low compliance cartridge as Denon DL-103R that puts much more of mechanical energy into the record/mat/table/arm than the high compliance Ortofon Super OM40.  DL-103R as one of the last incarnations of this venerable cartridge that has progressed to the point of having 14 ohms internal impedance - and although does "fit" with SU-300 SUT, it is not optimal...
Not much to add - as I wanted to see what the "locals" would say. Whenever in similar budget limits, one has to be open to whatever QUALITY used vintage TT may come around in reasonable space of time. If lucky, one can land what once was SOTA - and still smokes whatever new available for the same amount. It happened before on this thread. Sticking with SL1200 may prove to require more cash - ever since it was discontinued, it keeps creeping up in price.