Posts by analogsurviver

Take your time with the C1 - do not rush it. 30 years on, it is still unsurpassed in some aspects.  If I ever decide to DIY my own arm wands for the ET2 ( these have gone up in price - not exhorbitantely so, but still... - if you need say 10 pcs...) , one of the permanently mounted carts  will be Empire MC 1-8  (- aka Carnegie One - aka Sony XL MC 9 ). Boy, do I miss it sometimes - but after you all will see to which degree any of the cartridges I use gets adjusted/honed,...
I've got acres of land, I've got man at command... ( "somewhere from Pentagle albums - LPs, of course ). Well, this just about does occupy one of the biggest footprints in TT (acres of) land. A hint - do not get frugal with HEIGHT of the planned dustcover - please allow some 15 cm or so clearance above the LP level. One never knows what NEXT arm or clamp might require... Congrats. I am curious how does the Carnegie One like Morch DP-8 vs ET2 ? I am familiar with Morch...
Too gentle... -  trouble is, there is the same required for the setup of an Orbit or a Horstmann und Petter Derenville - in fact, one needs more for the Orbit, as the biggest badass TT already has incorporated VTF gauge and mini camera for precise setting of the VTA ( at a cool 500.000,00 EUR - 0.5M Eur  TT ... ). I try my best to remain reasonable - in the sense of an oscilloscope at say $200 or so vs...
ALL protractors, those for linear tracking arms included, have one problem.   They ASSUME the perfect cartridge. Less than 1 % of any given production run by any manufacturer can be adjusted in that "theorethical" way. Any real world cart/stylus (unless you are the uber lucky ...) is likely to be off by far more than is the difference in the precision of the REAL ALIGNMENT OF THE STYLUS IN THE GROOVE between a  $ 15-20 solid mirrored protractor and...
Both the Audio Reflex and Sony unit are approximately equal - they were made to last, they are solid. I posted a photo of my very early model Audio Reflex in "pictures" thread - and it really is built like a tank. The arm on the one from my link is light years better than on my unit. Due to the pricing on vintage in AU ( rare>expensive ), that Project Debut Carbon DC is also not a bad idea. Waiting for something really good to show up for sale at low price in your neck of...
It has to go trough some reviews of course - but it does not seem to be flawed "from the plane". They have included the necesarry - no frills - but what it is does look solid enough. Vintage Onkyo tables were not slouches either. If absolute accuracy/precision is absolutely required, there is at least one EUR 500.000,00 machine out there... - but for the reasonably priced budget TT I would not dismiss the Onkyo - in the $600 or so arena. I am looking forward to reviews and...
Well, if you are prepared to wait a bit for the just released Onkyo DD TT, it may just be the ticket. I could not fail to notice that Down Under quality vintage analog is comparatively pricey - but consider yourself lucky for not being in South America - whenever looking for some rare stuff, I usually end up on Mercato Libre & $imilar $ites - yike$!   Although nothing special, this CEC built table might also be worth...
Well guys, IF we had the chance to replace each and every record with a minty fresh one, I would not have bothered nearly as much as I do.   Fact is - we do not.   It is amusing but not funny to listen to "a" record that has been tracked too lightly (even worse than too heavy...) with a properly adjusted stylus/cartridge with:   1. Conical stylus ( horror of horrors ) 2. Elliptical stylus (horror movie) 3. Fine line, hyperelliptical, Stereohedron, up to Shibata...
All your questions have been covered before on this thread. You will need a GOOD , NEW (NOS) test record - and besides what already has been written in this pages, the upcoming posts on turntable setup. That will involve the use of an oscilloscope - all that was written so far ASSUMES the cartridge/stylus to be *perfect*. It is - in about 1% of cases. Or at least close enough. The rest 99% of cases involves action which must be taken - in order to bring the...
I do not consider current AT TT to be a serious machine - and if Monoprice is same/similar, that goes for it too.But the $130 price should make ANY consideration of Crosley & similar atrocities obsolete - for good. AlthoughAT/Monoprice TTs are not "serious", at least they do not destroy the records in a single - or few - plays. In view of this, Monoprice is most welcome.   IF you are asking WHY I do not consider current AT TTs serious - please look how did the AT tonearms...