Posts by analogsurviver

Sorry, if the clear preference for mat of a recording/mastering engineer, bassist and sax player who play on that recording, put eventually to CD , are not enough to at least give it a shadow of a doubt, then I do not know what could convince you.  I could list many, almost countless testimonies from musicians regarding "CD"s - I used to give them copies of their playing recorded to CD-Rs with and without the mat, marked so that they could possibly not know which is which...
All it takes is a listen. A very respected mastering engineer tested it with his Plextor TOTL "burner" - and whatever test used, it did NOT show any significantly different reading for errors etc. Playing 2-3 different CD (R)s , either from his recent masterings or what he considers reference recordings, made his wallet to open - 10 minutes max. And other persons present then also expressed interest to buy - I only had one spare sample at the time.
Obviously, I will have to post some screenshot from Adobe Audition 1.5 ( which I use for determining the ultimate gain at which any DSD recording is being converted to anything else ) - for you all to see how a truly dynamic recording looks like. It is the exact opposite of those compressed files that fill almost entire area possible - peaks, peaks and more peaks...- with most of the available "space" - blank. During the recent recording of the rehearsal of Bach's Johannes...
If it did not work, I would not be using it. And I do not  paint CDs with green marker, do not demagnetize them, etc. I use what proved itself, time and time again, with my equipment and everybody else's where we tried this CD mat. Or DVD mat, if you are more of a video guy. YMMV - but only after you try it, not a priori rejecting it as an audio myth.
Sure.  But explosions that can do that are WAY over 120 dB. http://listverse.com/2007/11/30/top-10-loudest-noises/ http://www.bksv.com/NewsEvents/measurement-moments
A disc player, playing in real time,  will never tell you it did not succeed to read all the data. What will be missed will be replaced by for such a case "preloaded" error correction system - different for CD, different for CD-R - and further variations from make to make and model to model.  CD mat makes sure this error correction is triggered as few times as possible - so that what is "100% retrieved data" is actually approaching 100% and not ( 100 - X )%, that X which...
It is exposure OVER TIME - average, not peak - that are dangerous for hearing damage. And peaks or exceeding the threshold of pain, that is around 120 dB. 7 dB or more than twice below that. For more level vs time, please see : http://www.head-fi.org/t/723464/hearing-safety-and-ear-health-thread-a-diary-of-a-ear-health-noob Slamming/closing the door in a car produces such peaks on regular basis - but as it is a few times a day lasting together for perhaps a second, it will...
It does depend on the venue. And which section of the orchestra you are in.  I have a very interesting project in mind - wish me luck with it. It should answer such questions once and for all.
Ok, I will get an calibrated SPL meter and will ask a friend drummer to record some rim shot readings at precisely measured distance(s). And will report the readings.  I was not trying to win an argument - just saying music live can and does sound loud. Most of my audiphile friends are shocked how loud it can be for real - since they are acustomed to compressed recordings played back on equipment that can not support full dynamic range. Hence  expression on their faces -...
Twice getting it equally wrong does not make it right either.