or Connect

Posts by analogsurviver

No - it is as "standard" placement as it gets - with most types of microphones. But it is almost incredible how much say an inch or so different position of the mics can change the sound being captured...
Can't say anything about your friend - but Trifonov does give an impression along the described lines.
Some unbelivable gems/playing yesterday during grand opening of the Tchaikovsky competition in Moscow :   http://tch15.medici.tv/en/performance/grand-opening-of-the-competition-great-hall-of-the
Oh - it can be quite different in the hall to what the Pianist hears. The most extreme difference I am aware of is not with piano, but with harpsichord. TOTALLY different what is possible to hear anywhere audience is allowed - and in the "driver's seat" . Piano can be recorded in MANY many many ways - and ALL of them have place in the context of the message a certain piece of music played on a piano should...
Yes - and no. Depends how one looks at it. There is a study that has measured, quite precisely, the polar pattern of each instrument within the orchestra. Which, in itself, is quite an achievement. But, at the same time, a decisively detrimental way to trying to record each and every instrument "from its very best position" - leading to, in practice, the dreaded multimiking.  A listener in a hall can NEVER get to hear the instrument played the same as performer does - and...
With electrostatics, it is primarily inherent properties of the load and concern for the safety. The only dynamic headphone potentially capable of dethroning electrostatics overall is the new HiFiMan HE-1000 - which is normal dynamic load and, for the first time, diaphragm that rivals the response of electrostatics in high frequencies - WAY above 20 kHz. Where it bests electrostatics is in the bass - no contest there. Unfortunately, I did not have the chance to listen to...
Please THINK before posting such a question - ever again. I DID answer that many times by now. The answer lies in the capacitance of the cable - which limits the performance actually available at the headphone driver itself. It takes understanding how and why electrostatics work and what makes them tick. Electrostatic driver is NOT a resistor, it does NOT dissiapate power, it does NOT behave as dynamic driver (essentially resistor, with some inductive component that for...
Plus minus - nowhere.  The reason is simple - what really good enough is, is beyond what is allowed for safety reasons. In EU - at the very least. You DON'T want to know the voltage/CURRENT rating of my DIY ESL amp... - it can easily meet the requirement for The Ultimate Transient - if you catch my drift... I suggest reading articles by Heymeyer and Sanders ESL amps from The Audio Amateur in mid 70s, later reprinted by The Speaker Builder Magazine in early 80s.. They...
Good suggestion. The last I will post about batteries here.
Oh - it was meant as SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO  ( -150dbV ) - I do not work with anything like 10 V RMS output at the microphone preamp. That is almost 32 V peak to peak... No, it was NOT my mistake - I merely stated preamps I use are quiet enough for anything - and do not contribute to overall noise, which is detemined by the microphone capsule and its electronics - aka "microphone" - which noise as much as they do, amplifying this beyond any reason will not do a single thing...