Posts by analogsurviver

A disc player, playing in real time,  will never tell you it did not succeed to read all the data. What will be missed will be replaced by for such a case "preloaded" error correction system - different for CD, different for CD-R - and further variations from make to make and model to model.  CD mat makes sure this error correction is triggered as few times as possible - so that what is "100% retrieved data" is actually approaching 100% and not ( 100 - X )%, that X which...
It is exposure OVER TIME - average, not peak - that are dangerous for hearing damage. And peaks or exceeding the threshold of pain, that is around 120 dB. 7 dB or more than twice below that. For more level vs time, please see : http://www.head-fi.org/t/723464/hearing-safety-and-ear-health-thread-a-diary-of-a-ear-health-noob Slamming/closing the door in a car produces such peaks on regular basis - but as it is a few times a day lasting together for perhaps a second, it will...
It does depend on the venue. And which section of the orchestra you are in.  I have a very interesting project in mind - wish me luck with it. It should answer such questions once and for all.
Ok, I will get an calibrated SPL meter and will ask a friend drummer to record some rim shot readings at precisely measured distance(s). And will report the readings.  I was not trying to win an argument - just saying music live can and does sound loud. Most of my audiphile friends are shocked how loud it can be for real - since they are acustomed to compressed recordings played back on equipment that can not support full dynamic range. Hence  expression on their faces -...
Twice getting it equally wrong does not make it right either. 
Not being from States, I had to google what Snopes is..... There is a fly in this ointment - unless you try the mat (and do not have disc transport that does not need it/precludes its use ) - you will never hear your CDs at their best. It is the second best tweak in audio - after ultrasonic cleaning of vinyl records. And one of the least expensive to boot.
If that shopping-mall-grade Pioneer happens to have turntable like platter, on which you put the CD with data/pits facing up, being read by the laser from above and being supported over entire CD surface, than go to the shopping mall you bought it from and thank them by purchasing more from them. In this case, not only you do not need CD mat, you can not even use it. You already own the best possible transport - at least from the disc vibration point of view. Any other...
No, I did not check the accuracy of the calibration of the friend's SPL app. But it was the same level which is the maximum Stax Lambda Pro/STM1MK2 can cleanly reproduce - 113 dB - and with which I am of course familiar. At the very least, it was not far off the true SPL value. Assumptions are the mother of all f.....s . It is true that sound drops 6dB every time the distance is doubled - in open free space.  Concert halls are made so to at least try to maintain, within...
Dream on... - during the climax of "some" Shostakovich or Prokofiev, at a recent concert, SPL app on a smartphone from the friend registered solid  113 dB peak.  1st balcony of the hall in pics a few posts back, at least 20m metres from the edge of the stage, some 30 metres away from the "kitchen department" (percussion section).  It did not sound particularly loud - not at all. But two young ladies, with combined age approx equalling mine, sitting a few seats from me,...
I use it - make it THEM - for the last 7 or so years. ALWAYS - except in car CD player and when I do not want to show it and effect it can produce. For those wearing glasses - it is akin to cleaning your glasses properly with a micro fibre cloth (with CD mat ) and going about with the glasses not cleaned for a day or two (without CD mat ).  You can see/listen in both cases - question is HOW.