Posts by analogsurviver

Agreed. Particularly Saturn from his 1962 Decca recording is outstanding. Another thing he does particularly well is Tchaikovsky.
Only the people who actually did the original recording could tell the true story. It is most probably a multitrack recording and out of that two, stereo and mono, mixes have been created. Given we had to wait so long prior the wrong speed was fixed in subsequent re-releases, I doubt we will ever know the whole truth about recording of Kind of Blue. 02:00 here - off to zzzzzz...
It will always be a great topic for debate. Sadly, most musicians on Golden Era jazz recordings are no longer with us, and even if they were and were actually willing to re-record those albums with up to date equipment, it could never be the same; playing style and capabilities of the players may well have changed by too much. So all we can do is to enjoy those great musical performances, no matter how technically defficient they might be. Kind of Blue was one of the first...
I am not familiar with the mono version. Although I tend towards hating avoiding listening to mono with headphones, because of the extreme in the head soundstage, with a GOOD mono it is not sooo troublesome and is preferred over the table tennis effects so prevalent in earlier stereo recordings, jazz coming to mind first. These never mimic sound heard live, they serve the purpose of showing off the capabilities of the technology per se, applied with more or less...
Agreed !
I have a friend who lives in a very moisture affected basement. He would probably make good living for letting the manufacturers to long term test the longeivity of their products in extremely hostile enviroments ( ie his place ) LOL ! After a year...- you get the picture. Acrylic (or anything else dipped) would result in an uniform layer, not only it would look awful, it would be detrimental to performance, for a very marginal effect in cutting the resonance.It would...
Impossible to say without at least a close up photo of the cantilever. Better stiil, check it with at least test record, but really meaningful is test record and at least an oscilloscope. That "it still sounds fine to me" can result in an extremely rude awakening - it is possible to irreversibly damage your records with a single play by a compromised stylus/cartridge. I have quite a few "pretty crooked" styli that still play without posing a treat to the records, if not...
Really nice work, congrats ! One question keeps popping in my mind, after having polished many platters in similar way: do you just leave bare metal or do you seal the surface with some thin layer of transparent varnish? If not sealed, these things do have a tendency of returning to the state of the above pitted with stains Pioneer, prior to the restoration.
Thank you for your comment.  Frankly, no idea - but more unlikely than not. Here the Discogs Link : http://www.discogs.com/Toma%C5%BE-Pengov-Odpotovanja/release/1235381 Original green cover LP was issued by today sadly late Tomaž Pengov himself in 1973 limited edition of 1000 pcs . It is uber rare to see it, let alone to see it for sale - and commands silly money if and when it does - likely to get even pricier after today's sad event. Re-release from 1981 ( same photo,...