Posts by analogsurviver

It would have been nice if less (better) than say -60 dB of crosstalk was available in stereo record. Just a hair above that, -56.XY  or -57.XY dB is theorethical limit for stereo record, as mathematically calculated in late 50s in JAES by a man from South America - in 1957 IIRC. This also is in the same ballpark as is inherent vinyl noise, at approx - 60 dB ref 0 dB level. Practical experience with phono playback is that there are marked differences among say 25 and 35 dB...
I definiterly AM pro solid state amps in real world - unless sky is the limit for budget. I only wish I never heard those super tubes. They were most definitely NOT from USA ! The only place tubes are inherently superior for audio are high voltage direct drive amplifiers for electrostatic speakers without output transformers - because of voltage requirements that generally exceed anything solid state is capable of. That might change in (near?) future - if SS devices...
Ask yourself one single thing - have you ever heard a really good tube amp ?  More important - have you had the possibility to "live" with it at least for a long listening session ? A weekend ? As written above - NOT recommended if you can/wish not to afford it. Please do not forget you need the rest of the system at the similarly high level - those 519s from above were pushing Quad 57s and the rest also were no slouches.The same goes for recordings to be played ... I...
I wish good tubes could be a whole lot less expensive. That can not be done. I also wish that I did not hear some truly great tubes - because they are waaaaay over my budget.  No, semiconductors can not achieve the same thing - regardless of price. But they are infinitely more affordable and practical for 99.999......99 % of real world users. $150 ODAC or equivalent plus sizeable music library is better thana Kronzilla and (say) 7 super duper audiophile (SA)CDs...
Although you could say that, it is possible to design for very similar results with both solid and hollow state devices. Tim de Paravicini is one of the designers with this capability that springs to mind first. My introduction to E.A.R. of Tim de Paravicini :   One has to really look closely to find what makes these mono E.A.R. 519s tick ; good ol' EL519 pentodes. One of the amps I would not mind, and one of the handful tube designs I could live with happily ever after....
Plausible. Which kind of materials are possible for the 3D printer at present ?  I did not mention bamboo out of aesthetic/exotic reasons - materials in an analog turntable are ultimately make or break as far as playback quality is concerned. Man made materials hitherto used for turntables generally lack the damping required. Metal platters/subchassis/etc -  ringing...ing...ring-ing - sounds familiar ?Acryil and similar is better, but not quite there yet. The reasons...
Great story. And seeing a Rek-O-Kut portable cutter in action ! Regarding aerolam; as far as I undersatand it, it is an all aluminium honeycomb structure used in aircraft industry, which was used in Pink Triangle Anniversary turntable (praised to this day for its sound almost inistinguishable from the master tape ) and Celestion sl-600 - and neither of these two could attain the SQ they have if aerolam was as described by you. I guess MANY different options exist - from...
This track SHOULD give problems with any quality equipment - it is VERY poorly recorded/mastered.  When looking for any meaningful comment on the SQ of certain Technics loudspeakers, I stumbled upon this track by Herd of Humans https://soundcloud.com/herdofhumans/herd-of-humans-taken-sides which was mastered on said speakers. It is much above clarity usually amplified music is recorded with; the only regret is that the dynamic range could have been higher. It is also still...
Never heard GR07, but references to compression in B3 Pro 1 definitely hold water. Very well written.
Let's put it that way - Havi B3 Pro 1 (Old Version ) need - and tolerate - MUCH more juice than "average" IEM - and more than "average" full sized dynamic headphones.170 mW/ch as delivered by ifi Audio nano iDSD amp/DAC are in no way something that does damage to them - but the micro model that sports 4000 mW+ is something I will have to carefully watch not to overcook it. I would be more concerned with my ears than Havis - with reasonable equipment your ears should give...