Posts by analogsurviver

Oh - are you saying I can not detect - say - the temperature difference of the same amount of freshly made coffee after one hour - half of it in some super thermo bottle, the other half in an empty Cola bottle, at -10 degrees Centigrade air temperature ?
They are still doing great - and will be used in burning CD-Rs of the CDs I am authoring while typing this . Will get those samples uploaded. I might even decide to do a direct real time digital output from a CD player as uploaded to a PC - but I do not own a PVC with S/PDIF input.I will have to go to a friend to do that - and as it is time consuming to "rip" the same song 10 times ...
NO - on purpose. I want to leave you all completely in the dark, to root out any possibility of expectation bias - be it positive or negative. Only sound samples, DBT/ABX - without knowing what are you listening to. Is there a difference or not; if there is one -  which is better. To make it easier (but a bit less effective), this time in 44.1/16. You will, unfortunately, have to wait.
I will present/upload another such test - at the moment, it is the high season for recordings and I can not afford the time required for those test(s). In summer (july/august), there is usually standstill - everybody (musicians ) is on vacation, and will not "gear up" till mid september. Then I will have time for these things.
I will post a "simple circuit" anyone with basic soldering kit can duplicate. Once in basic form, once in "whatever still remotely reasonable" form. And then ZBT the two - if so desired. It goes way above what ABX can teach one. Yes, ABX is a great tool - but does not explain where the audible differences are coming from.
I have not personally heard an O2 or Magni2 ( IIRC "Cosa Nostra Americana" ) driving the HD800 to the same volume on normal musical material, everything else being equal. If I had access to the same recording being played on both - and found it "nothing special", I would have no ground disagreeing with those claiming no difference. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. It is a bit hard to push the amp to anything like audible difference when playing a frequency...
Not so easy. I agree that great majority of modern solid state amps, when operated within their designed power limits into designed load, should sound absolutely identical .  (but not necesary audibly perfect ). But they simply - don't. However, it takes DIY approach - as commercial designs have to take care about economics first, quality second. A two inch thick gold plated front plate is no guarantee of superiour parts inside ... Two amps, that are completely equal on...
"Should" does not equal "do".
Although commendable, dynamic headphones are the least likely to suffer from crosstalk in cables. This was a nice attempt to demonstrate, once again, that cables do not matter. Which is ANYTHING that can be said about electrostatics. Historically, the cables did get a bit better with electrostatics - but first models were THE models how NOT to connect electrostatics. Jecklin Float Electrostatic - early model  Second incarnation of Jecklin Float Electrostatic - now at least...
Yes.  And it is not - nor will remain - an unrealisable goal. Binaural recording, reproduced over earspeakers (not headphones ) , properly processed, preferably/mandatory with personal HRTF of the listener taken into account, supported by a good subwoofer  ( system - there may be more than a single sub required ) - once gone that far, it will be easier to understand WHY I insist so much on frequencies above 20 kHz to be properly recorded and reproduced. I am doing this -...