Posts by analogsurviver

Hmmm... - why, on earth, do you think, in my CD retail days, frequent customers who were obviously without any technical background, kept returning to me with a single most frequent question: " Do you also find the old(er) analogue recorded CDs better than later/current crop ?" You should also have seen the jaws dropped at the direct comparison of some Decca recordings - on Decca 96/24 remastered CDs ( MUCH better than the first time these analogue recordings appeared on...
You can put it this way, if you like. And I am not alone who can hear this. Otherwise, turntables would have gone extinct for good  when the "perfect sound forever" first appeared - yet it is the fact that turntable not only survived, but outlived the CD. Today, there is probably more new turntable models than new CD player models; it would not be like that without a good, sound reason. People LISTEN.  Even if and when using "perfect before/after the digital" ( which does...
In theory, one should be able to make 1 meter long etalon out of 1 meter stock bar - plus say 5 %. In practice, this we all know does not hold true.  If and when a perfect brick wall filtering for PCM ( no pre, post, etc ringing ) will be available, flat ( say max - 3 dB) response to 100 kHz would take 200 kHz sampling. This holds true for "mere" straight playback, without any mumbo jumbo involving DSP. In practice, filtering does not stop on the dime - and the whole...
Grundgingly, I might give nod to that. Provided the PCM/DSP runs at least at 350odd+ kHz / 24 bit. Thus, we might get response up to 100 kHz right. Technology is ripe enough for that.
That*s the spirit !  However, "computerwizzardry" is NOT my forte; speaking of which, yesterday Korg AudioGate 4 on my laptop "froze" in hitherto unseen "mode" (totally white  display, the only way to close it by powering the laptop down ) at  the most inconvinient time; I thought re-installing wiil be required, it turned out today it runs perfect from the mains and freezes when battery powered ... ( I DO have high performance for battery operation enabled ). VSTs,...
Above was the expected answer.  Both for good and for bad. I will try your take on crossfeed / HRTF settings / plugins for F2K ; currently , I am using Meier crossfeed both on my PCs and on android phone, since I do use Meier portable amp kit with analog crossfeed for anything else ( from casual listening to monitoring while recording - be it analog or DSD ). The above approach gives me the highest degree of consistency among all my devices while listening to most of my...
First of all, it is analogSurvivEr . For a reason, posted several times - I guess I will have to include it in my profile - hopefully that will stay there for good. Regarding software capable of splicing sections of DSD - to my knowledge, currently only soft from Merging Technologies http://www.merging.com/products/pyramix/dsd-dxd and Sonoma http://www.superaudiocenter.com/Products.htm I do not have it, it is quite $$$ ( definitively four figure number ) - but will try...
I am sad to read such a reply by you, whom I hold in high esteem otherwise ( eq of headphones - even if using DSP ) . If you were familiar with the equipment calibre required to reliably discern the subtleties discussed, you would have not posted such a reply. There is no such thing as perfect analogue equipment - but truly great examples are almost there. Problem is with the most of the rest - as the true dynamic range is often limited to 40-50 dB, everything below that...
TBH, above is no easy task. It unfortunately requires hardware quality beyond what is usually deemed as satisfactory - even when assuming "perfect" recordings to begin with. It can well be that playback harware is not transparent enough - and, contrary to belief of many, professional commercially available equipment usually does not fare much better either. I have been fortunate enough to be included into the head-fi tour for the ifi audio iDSD micro Black Label edition...
Well, it is nice to see a post by someone that has actually done some work in this particular domain, EmPathWalker . Yes, binaural is at its best outdoors, I have learned that lesson long ago, in a single day, using a cassette recorder and recording some percussion. First it was a concert given outdoors, in a town square - which came out georgeous sounding. After that, I recorded the same band jamming in a relatively small room - unlistenable.Most real world scenarios fall...