Posts by analogsurviver

In that case :   Here the link for the tips : http://www.ebay.de/itm/231343655173?var=530603972218&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Good for you ! You provided your own answer to your own question regarding why analog ever fell out of favor - it is not nearly as idiot proof as digital. Cabling will always be an issue with low voltage sources as phono catridges - and although these wires do not need to be expensive, they do not tolerate lying close by/parallel to other cables.It is a trial and error within any given real world system - and it is difficult to reproduce either the error with greatest...
I can not. I was refferring to the standard practice required by the science crowd - ABX blind test, so and so % of correct answers from a large enough body of subjects, etc. Try any thread in Sound Science to get the idea... Sorry, it just does nor work in real life that way. We came in the piano salon to RECORD the best possible recording within given circumstances - not to prove any audio stuff. I eked out the possibility to use vastly different approach to recording...
An interesting "anecdotal evidence " ( gee, how I *love* guys in the science forums here on HF ) happened today:   I was recording a piano duo and later solo piano in one of the two premier piano salons in the country. I have met the owner of the studio numerous occasions before, have been recording his pianos on various occasions at various venues, but never at his place ( at least not *for real* ). Since we DID clash on opinions how to put a piano in a can before, it...
IIRC I did tell you where/how parts can be obtained. Transcriptors Reference Hydraulic/Electronic > under licence from Transcriptors: Michell Prisma Hydraulic/Electronic > under license from Michel ? (Transcriptors ? )in Germany - Transrotor AC ( these are units made in UK rebadged  : http://www.fairaudio.de/artikel/2014-firmenberichte/transrotor-raeke-hifi-firmengeschichte-artikel-2.html ) - so checking ebay - and specially ebay.de makes sense. I have seen spindle assy...
You can always bring your own LPs to the dealer's - and since this is Head-Fi, why not your headphones and headphone amplifier ? Thus the only variable remaining is the phono preamp - if you have it, bring it as well ! This last version should sound EXACTLY as at your home - if and when the power is clean enough. I would caution against using any unfamiliar equipment for auditions - regardless of all the excitement of new arrivals etc. It takes time new equipment settles...
Not necessary true. Some software may well be clever enough to add what was not recorded originally ( anything above 22050 Hz in redbook ) - and another may not. The first "with improvement" should have an edge over the one "without improvement".  What you say holds true for PCM only - because ABX in Foobar can not play DSD natively and will covert it to highest resolution PCM your hardware will support if you configured foobar correctly. 
Well, iFi Audio is NOT a rebranded made in Anyplace - it is outsourced to chinese manufacturer(s) under close supervision of HQ in England (AMR).  iFi is building a rather unique bussiness model - crowd designing. Just check the iFi Audio micro iDSD DAC thread(s) here on HF - it will be soon clear they really offer not only good value, but in some ways design features not available anyplace else - for a reasonable coin.  It is micro (more or less ) that is the "brain" of...
Yes and no. Depends what software and hardware combination(s) is being used. There are software players that can correct for most if not all defficiences in say a lowly redbook. But it takes one hell of a computer and understanding/experience on the part of the user. But better is lower resolution done right than something potentially better but not executed well enough. This is where $ inevitably will kick in - a really well done redbook will outperform a poorly made...
NOT soooo fine - when you have to shorten the cycling race due to smog as in recent Tour of Beijing ... I read they had to enforce the most rigorous car emission policy in the world - when you have Chinese Number of cars pouring in big industrial centres each day for work, this is no picnic !