Posts by analogsurviver

It is true that "anything" can be mitigated with proper design. To a point. Let me get one thing straight - the best are designs that, left unattended, tend from good to better. Perhaps the most palpable audio example is Kuzma 4-Point tonearm.It does not and can not have free play in its unique bearing system, yet it has low enough friction. Temperature will not unsettle this perfection - as it is basically held together by gravity. Totally unlike conventional ball...
I said loudspeaker designs - and that is not limited to cones. Electrostatics as a group. Quad ESL 2912 as perhaps the most accomplished of the breed. Although rather rare, not that all uncommon or unknown - and although around $ 10 K  in price, far from being the most expensive loudspeaker in existence. There were two "electrostatics" without the diaphragm - force field was powerful enough to create sound waves. By the two otherwise rivals - both builders of extremely...

True. That is why Quad ESL 2915 ( a full range electrostatic crossoverless design ) will always run rings around multi driver speakers requiring time alignment.  DSP is a good, extremely useful,  but still - cure for the problem. Preventing the problem from occuring  is the better strategy.
There is no such thing as "consumer grade", correctly adjusted DACs. There is also no such thing as correctly adjusted pro level DAC.  They can be both correctly adjusted - and still sound poor.  I have said, many times over, that analog sections, inevitable in ANY - ADC or DAC - will play a major role in SQ. And two "boxes" (whatever) that are according to the electrical schematic and conventional measurements more or less indistinguishable can sound MUCH different - IF...
Output filter for DSD can be MUCH more shallow than foe PCM - which usually uses extremely steep/brickwall filtering, even at 700+kHz sampling rate - and this is the reason why comparably sized file DSD will always have the upper hand over pulse response o the PCM. True, neither system achieves the perfect pulse response. But achieving approx 99% vs 84% for DXD (PCM 384/32) is a difference - not to mention the CD at some 15 or so % ....
That is humo(u)r - at its worst.  You do not have a SINGLE clue what a true audio "vice" is. Compared to that, admittedly small area provided by Egg is a VAST space. Enter big Audiostatic ESLs. I mean BIG (900ES - IIRC) . Imagine a LARGE listening room - some at very least 15 m long and 8 metres or so wide. At a fair - with rows and rows of seats , capacity over 100 people. With ONLY the seats EXACTLY in the middle axis between the speakers occupied (and vigorously "fought...
I agree on most of points you made. Of course, comparisons among "similar size file" or "levels" of DSD and PCM should be considered. No thing is magically better than the other - the reason why DSD is superior to PCM will FOREVER be in the pulse response - unless PCM is made many times the size of the DSD file in order to actually start approaching the pulse capability of the any chosen level of DSD. The negative side of DSD vs PCM is of course noise rising above 20 kHz -...
Sorry, this speaker IS superb - and its LED system for pointing the speakers EXACTLY right is extremely narrow - if you can't see it, BOTH from the listening position, you will not get the correct reproduction. Please read again trough it all, watch the videos - better yet, audition the system yourself.  It is one of the least coloured speakers ever made. Now - to be fair - how many nearfield monitors you know that actually are point source? Outside Tannoy ? That is why I...
Yes. Unless you can locate a better model at the same or even lower price - which is quite unlikely. What do you think by "box" - a cartridge ? Preamp ? Turntable ?