Posts by analogsurviver

I apologize, I had no such intentions; sometimes, it is necessary to completely detach from any emotional impact music should have - and concentrate on dBs, Hzs, Vs and other technical-s; it has become custom to really enjoy music from the concerts I record sometimes months after - once I can comfortably slip into the skin of a regular concert goer. Therefore I cherish each and every "tourist" visit of a concert - enjoying music as such, although always used to...
You too! Of course I am not listening to Simphonie at the moment; I just wrote the single example where already hard drive for Havi had to  be further "fortified" - the recording took place 5 months ago...
Although in theory  SPL levels should be achievable at 1 V RMS, Havi does improve with bigger drive. Depending on tips used, it may or may not require bass boost; that can add anything from 3 to 6 dB by 20 Hz. Once there is "enough", most other phones will sound deafeningly loud at this volume setting suitable for Havi. Although uncompressed commercially available recordings of classical music are as rare as the the proverbial hen's teeth, I managed to capture Berlioz...
There IS one known example of IEM headphone that can sound great but invariably measures like crap - by design . Havi B3 Pro 1. It is EXTREMELY sensitive to tips - and although the general lines of action using various tip geometries are known, no way one can for certain predict how it will sound in YOUR ears. Good ol' trial and error, I am afraid.If everything aligns itself as it should, it is a VERY satisfying sounding IEM - with soundstage most conventional full size...
HD 800 is a BIG circumaural open headphone and as such almost does not touch the pinna itself, allowing the pinna to work pretty much as intended. It is a good compromise - as its large circumaural pad allows for much better extension in the lows than it would have without it in "open" arrangement.  It is (n+1)th attempt at dynamic headphone by Sennheiser - no wonder it is as good as it is. It can not match Jecklin Float or AKG K 1000 in imaging - but beats both in bass...
It was "generic" answer regarding solely frequency response beyond/above 20 kHz. The only headphones that do sound predictable to ALL listeners are earspeakers - which in no way touch one's ears and/or head ( NO pads of any sort ). Everything else is "hit or miss" - it is perfectly possible to find that to you a $20 headphone produces better sound than $2000 headphone - because it just happens to suit your ears. Literally - our pinna is as individual as our fingerprint -...
"HD headphones" - at least in case of Sennheiser - have nothing to do with HD = High Definition . If I understand it correctly , it stands for Hörer Dynamisch ( Headphone Dynamic ) and has its counterpart in HE - Hörer Elektrostatisch ( Headphone Electrostatic ) - both denoting headphone and principle upon which they are based. They have similar names for microphones : MD = Mikrofon Dynamisch ( dynamic microphone ) and ME Mikrofon Elektrostatisch ( electrostatic condenser...
Just read it - R.I.P. Joe .   Another Randy Newman cover I've always liked :  
This is my guess along similar lines too. Havi B3 Pro 1 simply DO NOT measure well - my pair has measurements going in all directions ( there are large discrepancies in the frequency response between the channels, similar to published measurements ) - yet  it can sound subjectively very good.  Now - if it was deliberate, if it is sample to sample consistent, therefore repeatable, within some prescribed performance envelope - is another matter. Hope it is not entirely at...
@CrazyRay - thank you for the answers !