or Connect

Posts by analogsurviver

English language has quite sometimes expressions that do not positively identify what is meant.  Take word "design" for example. It can be design in technical sense ( it is a design based on satisfying this and this...) - but also can be design as form or fashion ( beautiful Italian designed shoes/fashion/car/whatever ) - and although not mutually exclusive, they DO NOT NECESSARY MEAN THE SAME THING. Same with word "master". You have misunderstood what master for LP...
That's why there are books dedicated solely to the SQ of various pressings of the same recording on the LP - without ever mentioning the music in the slightest. Catalog number - end of story in musical sense. Of course, one has to be familiar with music itself - then comes the hunt for the best SQ version. Even if it is - hardly ever likely - on CD ... I agree that most of the current releases do not merit being issued on vinyl. With the advent (or better said, wider...
Wrong. Here a more precise description how amorphous - or more properly designated - magneto restriction MR - heads work.  http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=8817 I have "forgotten" to mention that amorpous heads have better SNR than anything else - see the figures in the link - as I have took them, and increased dynamic range they bring, for granted - ever after I heard the RS-AZ 6/7 for the first time. The fact that amorphous heads noise less than others in lower...
Yes, you are right about the weighted and unweighted figures for SNR. That's why I posted the link - to be as transparent as it gets.  Then again, you should also tell the weighing curve - it improves the figure mostly in bass, with a relatively little effect on the most objectionable form of noise in analog tape - hiss.    However, that + - 3dB spec for FR from 20 - 20 K is a VERY conservative rating by the manufacturer.  They had to take into account various tapes -...
OK, we can lower the SNR to 62 dB and increase the recording level to +14dBr (any decent metal tape can take that )- creating the same dynamic range ultimately available. http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/rs-az7.shtml I agree with your comments on the tapes - right on the money. Except for the fact that RS-AZ6/7 can calibrate themselves for ANY tape to the maximum performance - and that means I use this function for every SIDE of EVERY tape ! I do not use...
Any cassette deck/tape combo with S/N of 64 before application of noise reduction. Noise reduction systems could improve that by up to 25 dB ( Sanyo ), but on the grounds of overall SQ I settled down to 20 dB reduction with Nakamichi High Com II, which provides 20 dB+ noise reduction while producing the least artefacts. Together, this makes a 84 dB SNR recorder ref 0 dB. Which is the exact figure quoted for CD-R recorders in recording mode. BASF chrome type II tapes were...
Not true. If external noise reduction ( Nakamichi High Com II - at least 20 dB less noise), high quality deck (64 dB without noise reduction ) and tape is used, under +12 dBr condition cassette can equal 96 dB of the CD. As such amplitude is in practice only required in bass, there is no tape saturation and resulting excessive distortion/compression.  Cassette is NOT as humble as most might be lead to believe - its greatest trouble is speed stability and not dynamic range.
 I agree that, ultimataly, digital recorders are better than cassette. I agree that even CD-R beats any cassette for wow and flutter - and that is the greatest drawback for the cassette.   However, when used "with every bell and whistle imaginable", cassette will, EASILY, beat CD-R  in dynamic range - specially when recording live, where sometimes peaks exceeding + 10 dB ref anything available at the rehearsal are rather frequently encountered. I t will force you to...
WMD-6(c) ( aka Sony Walkman Professional ) is a GREAT deck - too bad great cassette tapes are $o expen$$ive today ...
That's normal. And is the reason why commercially available options use somewhat thicker films - stability/reliability.