Posts by analogsurviver

more of the same. But it is not equally strong - what it lacks, in the very least, is reference to ABX !!!
I see this already got answered.  Packing gear for the today's and tomorrow's recordings - will be back maybe sunday.
Yes, but with the following differences : 1. They have money2. They can use facility of the university3. They employ "service" of students as panel 4. They had access to the best gear at the time5. They had ABX software by Emil Berliner Studio6. They could afford to present their work at AES - which was at the time conveniently in their home town. Similarities include large bandwidth speakers (Technics SB-RX 50 in my case, also to 35 kHz or so) and Stax headphones. I work...
Please DO read what was being compared : DSD has various sample rates, just as PCM does. It can be expressed either as frequency DSD 2.8XYZ MHz - which is 64x CD sampling rate of 44.1 kHz - or simply DSD64. The test in question is from 11 years ago, when there was no commercially DSD recorders with higher sampling rate for DSD - and the only DSD known was DSD64 and there was no requirement to write any numbers along the DSD - it was the only game in town in that age. Only...
Above is NOT my experience. At least not with vinyl records and players. On the contrary, it DOES matter very much how any likely cause of ringing, usually well above 20 kHz, can be tamed or eliminated altogether. I know and agree dragging the stylus along the groove does constantly excite any possible mechanical resonances - and that there is very little energy in actual sound waves above 20 kHz. But not - zero. If and when there will be digital recorder capable of FLAT (...
Yes, DAW is the sour grape. Costly and likely to remain so.  TBH, I would seriously consider it only once DSD512 version will be available. It should not add that much more cost for the double present sampling rate. I agree it is possible to use audacity to good effect with 24/48. But I STRONGLY disagree it is possible to MAKE music with DAWs.  As I have ever stressed, my recordings are mainly about acoustic music with as little processing as possible, preferrably zero -...
I agree regarding the logic of audibility of said ringing. However - and that is BIG however - I feel that eliminating a potentially audible problem altogether is better than debating whether it is audible or not. One unknown less is ALWAYS better than one more. In music heard live, there is NO filtering (except HF rolloff as a function of the distance ) vcausing any form of ringing - yet all known forms of recording introduce some. DXD and DSD come mighty close to the...
You are correct on all counts. In principle. There is an IF. That IF is how clever/powerful are "upsample" software(s). This should be the way to improve the already recorded material. I have to test the "latest crop" of software(s) that allow for this - and see if they  actuallymanage to output a square wave better than on the original recording. Reportedly, MP3s if converted to DSD256 and higher (on the fly or pre-converted) particularly gain in SQ - but please do not...
You mean this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjxWKL6jhC4  I might decide to watch it and see where on the Ego "Richter's Scale" was Bernie compared to people I have worked with . And then there are guys who would on recording insist on doing ABX  - one can hardly ask for a break to change CD/battery/hard disk/whatever - AFTER having to record 10+minute tirade(s) on all that went wrong in the last take(s) ! DSD has the advantage of being more analog. The prime...
I am a free lance recording engineer. And although I do get to keep the masters, I no longer keep any rights (except moral).  Save for some super rare occasion, original DSD recordings get mastered in PCM - in my case, 192 32bit floating to be exact (economy reasons related, there are better tools to edit DSD if $ ).  If the last hole on the least important most faintly audible instrument plays a wrong note, that player can block publishing the whole recording - and I can...