Posts by analogsurviver

I understand your position - but learning how to prevent hum in ANY turntable, not just Project goes a long way towards long term enjoyment of playing records. Sometimes, it is only oxidized part that still looks to be OK - and that can either have intermittent,  contact with too high resistance or no contact at all. There is nothing worse than a metal platter that is supposed to be grounded left "in the air" - such a TT will hum no matter what. If everything else fails,...
Yes, it is one of the innumerable variations that came into being after first commercially introduced by Oracle. They differ in execution/complexity/cost, yet principle remains the same : 
It is the most reasonable solution without breaking the bank. But one has to be aware that clamps (or weights) can do only so much - if the record is dished convexly (say on side A ), it helps in flattening the record by mating it to the platter surface, which also brings damping of both the record and the platter. If the record is dished concavely ( say on side B ), normal screw down clamp or weight will not only fail to flatten the record against the surface of the...
$imple economic$. Ever since Linn discovered that felt mat sounded "better", the easiest and cheapest way out was touse felt mat. It is light enough material that even if the hole is punctured considerably off center it will not introduce objectionable wow. Cheap material and cheap manufacturing can be used this way. But when one wants to use anything else as mat, it is either precisely made  mould and/or machining each piece.Depending on material, this can reach quite...
With Technics, it boils down to under how lucky star you were born : if VERY lucky, you might be having trouble even optically to tell whether the platter spins or is it stationary; if not :     I have seen similar but lessened in degree even in SP 10 Mk2 .
Great result - better than most. The reason why Rega used glass for the platter - if quality glass is selected, it is flatter than almost anything else in sheet form. Only requires making hole in the center and machining the circumference. All other materials require machining on all surfaces in order to achieve the same tolerances and the platter results in costing more. Glass is not an ideal material for the platter - it is too "lively" and impedance mismatch with vinyl...
A nice explanation on VTA/SRA :  
Sorry - no direct experience with this model. Humming in TTs ( grounding...) can be PITA and is seldom well executed. Perhaps someone with first hand experience will chime in.
Yet another collateral damage :   http://www.arche-headshell.de/   FIRST WARNING : this represents (one of ) the most dedicated approach(es) to vinyl analog playback I have ever seen. For obvious reasons, prices are not published - but it is not for the faint at heart. Click above link at your own peril... I wish I could afford gear of this calibre - and yes, some of the principles employed here are finally starting to adress the problems that have pleagued analog...
You welcome! Although I certainly did not cover all the options, I believe I did those that make most sense.