Posts by analogsurviver

You welcome ! I only would like to ask you to spell my - intentionally "misspelled" name - for a reason -  correctly : analogsurviver . No, I do not have any direct experience with Kevin Gilmore amps - only can assume their raison d'etre must be improvement on the performance obtainable from Stax.I did check some of the schematics ages ago and yes, should be better. No point for me to go checking up the impressions on the web and then wrapping them up as my own. I am going...
MUCH easier load than King's Audio original first generation of King electrostatic - from your neck of woods...http://dagogo.com/king-sound-the-king-panel-speaker-review
No direct experience with the 727, but the principle sure does apply. No commercially available esl amp is totally free from this aberation, but most powerful non Stax made amps are acceptable for real life musical programme. Your subjective description is quite accurate. I did say it is best audible with female voices - particularly soprano. The even more challenging is a full orchestra, large mixed choir with soloists, organ and great gong - or finale of Mahlers*s...
Any technics of that vintage is worth recapping. It is a foolow up model of SU-8080 (added MC phono capability ) - and I use recapped an modded SU-8080 in one of my systems.  8080 has MM pono input straight from the SU-9070 preamp - and that is an excellent phono . 8080 has a power amp the same as SE-9060 power amplifier - with a simplified power supply . I did not check whether the 8088 is similar/same - but you can check for both in the hifiengine database...
How you can test most easily if a coaxial cable ( interconnect ) is microphonic or not ? Simply plug it into a phono input, open the volume as you would usually listen to your turntable, and tap with your finger anywhere on the cable EXCEPT the exposed centre pin on the RCA male plug on the other end of the cable. Poor ones will be instantly audible, for good ones you will have to turn up the volume by 10 dB or more before you will be able to hear anything. And you can...
1.I do not know how you got the idea that I play test tones of single frequency at full output - or why you keep on insisting on it ? I merely stated  how amps can be tested in the particular case for electrostatic amplifiers. 2. It goes to show that you have not been lately to a live concer featuring a good soprano. Yes, they ARE loud !!! In the recent recording of Bach+s Johannes Passion, the entire contents on the stage at full cry was only 3 dB louder than a - single...
It is true. It is equally true that more than half of the total capacitance is in the cable. Wasting the amplifier power, cutting the power bandwidth (as the frequency to which an amplifier can drive the load to full output without excessive distortion is correctly called ) in less than half. I will re-measure the cable removed from my Lambda Pros - I remember the total capacitance being a bit higher than 122 pF, by about 10 pF or slightly more. In a real non academic...
This is true - IN THEORY. In practice it is a "bit" different. And that bit diffferent is - legislation, in EU at least. Since a few years, esl amps above certain combination of voltage/current are banned.You can not import say Beveridge ESL speakers with built in high voltage direct drive amps anymore. Legally at least - and how you are going to smuggle the 200 kg 2 metres tall speakers trough the customs, is up to each individual. I know I am not going to try that...
That - making people wonder about stuff they never thought of - was my prime intent. Because without out of the box thinking, there would never be any progress - we would still be living in the caves. Bon nuit, Chateau 
Last time I checked I did say on which type of music this is most easily noticeable.  I never even mentioned using pure test tones in connection with esl amps - at least not in this thread. I merely stated the 4 kHz limit t for full output of the SRM1MK2 amp - above which it can no longer play at full volume. Female voices. Good and loud -  and recorded without compression. It does not sound particularly loud live - yet matching that loudness with Stax stats IS a problem...