Posts by analogsurviver

Not so fast, please ! I did not say that everyone else*s reordings sound like trash - but I did say that they lack the ultimate veil to be lifted from them - put one way or another, the exact wording is not so important in this case. Holds true for any audiophile label yet known to mankind.  The two conclusions of yours above do not hold true - the correct ones are : 1.) My reference sound system does sound good on quality material done by others - but will reveal...
1.) Short answer : Using which blind test equipment ? 2.) Long(er) answer : The only decent ABX "switchbox" that allows not only for digital , and limited to PCM at that, such as foobar2000, but real analogue and/or digital  components seamless testing, down to a cable and/or a single electronic part ( resistor, capacitor ), known to me is  http://www.avahifi.com/products/accessories/abx-comparator-switchbox here is the manual for it...
OK,I agree with most of the above - save one , unfortunately very important point. And that would be "not just on his gears". I am in this game now for about 40 years - 30 of them as an audiophile, analogue oriented to the max possible - I even worked for the Benz Switzerland at one time. And at least from that time on , I can no longer be considered an amateur - I DO know what an analog rig makes to tick or not, and I have developed a battery of objective tests no...
Copied straight out of my mailbox - mods please erase the link to the seller, if it somehow breaches the rules ! SME have announced a large price increase due to take effect on the 6 February 2017. All turntables will increase between 15% and 25% and all tone arms between 23% and 32%. Orders placed before this date will be honoured at the current list prices. We require a 20% deposit to secure the order with the balance paid prior to shipping. Please call for...
You can keep your money; no need to do that. And - it was NOT primarily mine rejecting such tapes. In some music ( choirs, piano, etc ) even the minute tone problems are perceived as objectionable - all it took was to observe the ever grimer looking face of any of the members of the choir listening to what was just recorded. And I can well understand; they did not practice untold amount of time to be sabotaged on the recording by the analog  tape problems. You have missed...
Well, "people" ... I can only vouch for myself. And would like to share my observations about my own perception of sound/music - as it evolved in say, last 10 or so years I am recording mainly choirs. I do not possess an absolute pitch - yet, I grew FAR more sensitive to pitch variations than I used to have prior to my "choir" period. The same goes for the minute amplitude variations - both of which are the essential tools of choir singing. Like it or not; recording a...
OK, which part of "insufficient finances to generate data" you do not understand ? You can agree or disagree with my decision - but whatever finances available, I prefer to use them to make as good recording as I possibly can, using equipment I think can best cater to the need of recording - instead of pouring ( waay insufficient) finances into proving something much larger organizations do not dare to tackle.  I do not care particularly much if - eventually - there will...
Bear in mind that we are not  measuring electrical signals ? We hear pressure differentials.
I agree that this is Science Forum. But, science - or SCIENCE - has one, undisputable flaw. It can not provide any answer to the problem it has never "heard" of. Please note: 1.) I am 1 (in a word - ONE ) individual2.) I am trying to eke out a living with what I like and TRULY believe in. And what is, generally, liked by the musicians themselves.3.) I do not have financial means at the disposal that could support generating the Data.      ( There is a published study by...
Joe, you are quite correct in saying that headphones at large are designed for listening to regular stereo recordings. For the very reasons cited. I agree that in the long run, these matters should be standardized. Because EACH type of headphone requires different HRTFs with any given signal. The main reason is that >99% of all conventional headphones do not allow for the natural crosstalk between our 2 ears. There is a reason why I preferred Jecklin Float at first, made...