Posts by analogsurviver

As with any ESL - as much as it can get. ESLs are essentially capacitors - and their impedance drops with frequency. Sooner or later, the impedance gets too low to be supported by the current capability of the amplifier. It would take infinite current/power to have infinite frequency response with ESL from the electrical point of view alone. Mass of the diaphragm and the airtrapped between the stators and in the holes of the stators limits the high frequency response in...
RKV II is perfectly safe. I based my amp on the schematic of the same person that designed the RKV - it was published in Germany ages ago. It has anode power supply voltage of approx 1.5 kV - and nowhere enough current capability to make electrostatics really sing in the treble. Beside being over the EU limit already. Then I "expanded" it ... - ultimately, 8 pcs of PL519 tubes at the output, 4 per channel.  -3dB @50 kHz , frequency response equals power response with the...
Besides the economic reasons poined by others, one has to remember direct drive high voltage amplifiers have to conform to certain rules by the governing bodies regarding safety.  This is no joke - an amp really well designed to impeccably drive electrostatics, particularly in the treble, unfortunately doubles as an electr(ostat)icchair. Above so-and-so-much current an amp can spit out under worse conditions, it is banned - at least within EU. And that does have a...
Please read post #2617 - good luck !   I have added another for the Europe : http://www.dienadel.de/Audio+Technica+ATN-20+-+ATN-20-SLA+Ersatznadel+original.htm   Another source ( conspicuously low prices in comparison to usual "rates" on this site - meaning that supply might not be on its very VERY VERY last legs ) http://www.pickupnaalden.com/grammofoonnaalden.asp?M=Audio-Technica_AT-20-SLA_Zwart_1430
For the AT 20 stylus, you will have to Google it.   The FIRST hit : http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATN20.html   Ocassionally, it sporadically pops up on ebay - either as NOS complete cartridge or much more rare, stylus alone.  If you are uncapable to inspect the stylus by yourself and or/if the seller does not offer return, ebay route can be a VERY expensive way to get a turkey or worn stylus on its last legs at a premium price - if I were contemplating the purchase of...
If anyone think I might have been too harsh, it is because I did invest lot of time and work and money in determining what it takes to get as accurate reproduction off vinyl as possible. Think DECADES.   Mellowing things a la Shure M97xE is sweeping the dirt under the rug - there is no other honest way of saying this. The reason stems back from the day one of MM cartidge , which was introduced by ELAC from Germany in 1957 IIRC - and then licenced , among others, to...
Agreed. However - and this is a BIG however - this one is on the brink to fall asleep. When Shure re-introduced V15 after discontinuation of V15V-MR as V15VxMR, it was presented as an "improved" model with "warm audiophile sound".In reality, what they did was to omit laminated pole pins used in V15 series from V15IV (IIRC). They did it primarily for the cost reduction, presented as an "improvement".  It was quite common to find an objective report (measurements) of v15vxMR...
I suggest you get the NOS ATN-20SLA ( SS ? ) stylus ASAP -  because, even after almost 4 decades, it is STILL one of the best overally accomplished "toothpicks" you can possibly think of.  AT did outdo the "20" with a handful of much later styli/carts, yet the properly adjusted and terminated 20 is still among the best carts ever. I agree NOS prices are expensive - but are at least manageable as of this time. If you decide to get one say within a year, the sources from...
Yes.  As a matter of fact, 5/10/20/40 - only three-s, 3 and 30 have so far proven elusive. Of these, I find the Stylus 20 to be the most balanced/neutral - BY FAR. With its recommended load, it is so damn neutral/linear/flat I actually use it for test  record frequency response evaluation. It is usually paired with far too low quality arm/table to show off what it is really capable of. It may not be the fastest, it might not reveal what is going on in the dressing room...