Posts by analogsurviver

Depth of image is NOT so fuzzy topic. And it is precisely here where DSD128 and beyond will trounce SACD/DSD64. Even in 2 channell - yet there are multichannel versions up to DSD256. https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/just-listen-1-compilation I agree there is little material in DSD128 and even less in DSD256. But in course of time, it will grow.
PentaTone are among the best - but it has been a long time since I did compare SACD and CD layers on any of their discs. One disc that is extremely well recorded ( analog master ), and well "whatevered" is the SECOND edition of Omnibus Wind Ensemble playing Frank Zappa:http://www.discogs.com/Omnibus-Wind-Ensemble-Music-By-Frank-Zappa/release/1820934Original was issued on long sold out LP, being followed on CD only , finally being released as SACD/CD disc. It has been...
I agree that for any recording to capture the venue acoustics cues it is paramount to be positioned correctly. I disagree that two channel can create only a plane of sound - and although I do not know how enveloping sound field you can achieve with 5.1 using Redbook, a good 2 channell stereo is anything like flat pancake as usually presented by the Redbook.
No, of course - although it might seem like that to the uninitiated. I "like" the SQ on YT as much as you - at least.... But it is not "much" more that 44.1 kHZ 16 bit uncompressed Redbook can do in regard of depth of image compared to DSD128. In that, both the 125 kbps AAC and Redbook are pretty much equally distanced by the DSD128. 
For once, we finally agree on something ! That is recreating the ambient acoustics of the room where music was recorded in - and the space around the music. I am not familiar with 5.1 well enough ( because the room available is small-ish and I do not want to go to war with neighbours ).  But getting similar/same over "headphones" using well placed stereo microphones or artificial head requires higher sample rates in order to create convincing enough sense of depth from a...
True enough. Although music played at the times was inaudible, 96 dB of dynamic range can "just" be squeezed in onto the CD with careful transfer from the analog cassette master tape. But as it was a binaural recording, brick wall filtering of the CD above 20 kHz DOES affect playback; the cassette recorder used is "flat" to at least 22 kHz with a gentle rolloff above - which would have never been heard unless ANY filtering from the HighCom II was removed well in advance of...
Hmmm - in a way, I feel pity for you - for never hearing a recording approaching live enough to fool you into thinking it is live. Let me explain - there ARE good movie soundtracks - but they most definitely do not come from Hollywood or USA more in general. High professional standard, with good and predictable but definitely not you-are-there-quality, yes  -  BUT it takes movie makers from other continents to get a truly amazing audio. Sometimes, Germans use...
Nice of you to post these links - thank you ! I will go trough all these links - and will try to help wherever and whenever I possibly can. There obviously are spots within symphonic orchestra that can be dangerous to hearing. But it is the very nature of loud sounds with rise times too short to be possible to record with redbook CD that differentiate between live and a recording - and it is this speed again that will tell you whether it is real or a recording - even if...
NOT my idea of passing my "spare" time ...
Just a reminder - headphones most probably required for playing back really loud sources ( like rim shots on drums using drum sticks - present in ANY decent acoustic non-amplified jazz set ) :   https://www.audeze.com/products/headphones/lcd-3   But please do not play (the compressed, REGARDLESS of mastering) DSOTM at maximum level these phones can provide...   I have yet to hear of a concert pianist (or any other acoustic instrument player ) going deaf from his own...