Posts by SomeGuyDude

But that's completely irrelevant here, because he wasn't saying that other headphones need burn-in and Shure do not. He wasn't putting his own product in a different category than others. There was no marketing benefit to saying burn-in exists one way or the other. Neither answer was more prudent than the other in terms of selling Shure products. There was NO ulterior motive to call it a myth.  If anything, saying burn-in was real is MORE of a marketing gimmick because it...
 The thing is, the HD650 isn't made out of some alien spacecraft material with a design that nothing else uses. It's a dynamic driver like every other dynamic headphone. It has absolutely no qualities to it that makes it uniquely susceptible to burn in. If it burns in, so do all headphones with dynamic drivers and vice versa. You use the "with my own ears" thing as though human perception is infallible. That's sort of like saying eyewitness testimony is always perfect....
 I'd definitely agree that the 6+, although it has a great output (I own one), just doesn't have the oomph for the 650s.  I use a Focusrite Scarlett Solo that seems to push them plenty, but it seems like 'round here the Magni/Modi and O2/ODAC get the most love. 
 You tried to discount Shure's lead engineer's statement because you didn't like the SRH840. I shouldn't even need to list off all the reasons that's completely asinine. You're trying to misdirect the real problem with what you said with the whole "in my opinion" thing. No duh that was your opinion, but you tried to use that opinion as justification to claim that Shure's engineer was wrong and that, I guess, YOU know better. I don't care what you think about the SRH840. I...
 So because you had one pair of headphones from one of those most well respected brands in audio (their microphones are about as industry standard as you can get) and you personally disliked them, that means that you know better than their lead engineer. Stop for a moment and think about that.  EDIT: I also had the SRH840s. They aren't junk in the slightest, but they ARE studio monitors so they're not exactly fun for listening. I also have the SE846 and those things are...
 If you end up believing in it via tube amps then that'll separate you from me. The tubes altered the sound of my old LCD-2.2's a bit but the tubes themselves didn't "burn in" past the first hour. I definitely believe that most "burn in" has to do with the psychological adjustment to a headphone. My first "good" headphones were the M100s. I bought them because I liked the Monster DNA and Beats Mixr a lot (bass, baby!) but wanted to try something higher quality. To my ears,...
http://blog.shure.com/inside-headphones-with-yuri-shulman-shure-engineer/ 
 I believe the optimum burn in time is "the length of time it takes for the first bit of sound to make it from the source to the speakers." Once you get through that burn in period you're good to go.
I'm really curious to hear the X2. I know Tyll says how they're an upgrade but it seems like others are calling it a fairly minor sonic update and TBH the X1/HD650 race isn't close. Now I need to hear for myself.